2012 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships

kosmonooit

South Africa announces mountain bike Worlds team

From cyclenews

18 racers headed to Austria

Cycling South Africa's Mountain Bike Commission announced which riders will represent South Africa at the 2012 UCI Mountain Bike & Trials World Championships in Saalfelden Leogang, Austria.

The downhill world championships will take place from August 31 to September 2, while the cross country world championships take place from September 6 to September 9.

The following riders have been selected according to the 2012 CSA-MTB Selection Criteria.

Elite men cross country

Burry Stander

Philip Buys

Elite men downhill

Greg Minnaar

Andrew Neethling

U23 men cross country

Rourke Croeser

James Reid

Luke Roberts

U23 women cross country

Candice Neethling

Mariske Strauss

Junior men cross country

Patrick Belton

Dylan Hattingh

Kyle Dorkin

Paul Rodenbach

Junior women cross country

Linda van Wyk

Nicole Erasmus

Junior men downhill

Tiaan Odendaal

Adi van der Merwe

Samuel Bull

Bryan Strauss will serve as team manager while Rob Cunnington will perform team mechanic duties

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to find any comments on the mens XCO race yesterday. What is up with Burry's racing style lately? He used to be a fast starter and sit with the front okes from the beginning but lately seems to leave it for last 2 laps and then try and catch up. He did well to finish in 5th after spending most of the race around 15th but am i wrong saying that his tactics has changed and is obviously not working so well at this stage?

Didn't he finish 8th behind the Swiss Blitzkreig? Total domination.

Bresset was also very impressive in the ladies. Today's XCE should be interesting as they crown the first ever WC in this discipline.

Bresset was also very impressive in the ladies. Today's XCE should be interesting as they crown the first ever WC in this discipline.

Sorry! I meant 8th. Bresset was really impressive and still so young.

RALPH NAEF!!!!! :clap:

383187_409114435819601_516795876_n.jpg

Very disappointed in Burry's performance lately.

Is his opposition just getting so much better quicker through better training?This relationship with Jeroen is not working too well.Maybe its time for a new coach

As someone else said he has lost a lot of speed off the mark.If you are not with the frontrunners on the first lap it is too much to expect to catch up

Why are we always blaming coaches? Its the athlete that has to put in the work. Maybe Burry is having an off seaon.

Why are we always blaming coaches? Its the athlete that has to put in the work. Maybe Burry is having an off seaon.

I would not call it a off season at all. Epic, 2nd overall World Cup, 5th at Olympics, 8th at Worlds. Tough and long and he stuck through.

Our team having a moment

387011_404766546237629_1774964270_a.jpg

But hey... don't forget the SA cyclist that's performed the best this year on international level...

Mr Minn!

sitting 2nd overall World Cup, as well as 2012 DH World Champion.

(and yes, I know he has a thread dedicated to him. Just thought he deserved a mention in the World Champs thread)

There is no doubt that trainers or coaches can improve an athlete.

When interviewed before the Olympics Jeroen was adament that Burry was a podium.

It just seems to me that Burry is fading as the year progresses

Watched the race last night on red bull tv and it looked like Burry got a better start and was not far behind Nino (the guy to follow....) but somewhere early still on the start loop saw someone go off track slightly and loose at least 20 places... could not see who it was but maybe it was Burry??? He did well to place 8th considering where he was at the end of lap 1

It does seem like he had better results when he still coached himself :whistling:

Burry's twitter:

burry stander@africanmtbkid

one race too far. well done to the swissies. i died out there. holiday time. thanks to all for the support this season. its been a good