Roadies please help a MTB"er

crasher

Hi Guys

I have entered 94.7 with the original intention of doing it on my MTB.

That has changed as I decided I would like to try out a road bike do a bit of road riding enter a few seeding races and have an attempt to ride a respectable time .

I will still prob ride more MTB during week and ride the Road bike on weekends.

Dont want to break the bank so was looking to spend between 15 to 20 on a bike and I would rather get a new bike .

I seem to have narrowed it down to either getting a BH Prisma or a Scott CR1 pro

They both have full Ultegra and similar specced cockpits but the scott does have Kyrsium Elites

where as the Prisma has Akiums (excuse my spelling) I think the Scott is prob bit lighter as well

The scott is also over 2k cheaper than the BH.

Any advice because at this stage I am leaning towards the Scott but I would welcome any advice

Thanks Guys and Gals

The kysirium elites are way better than aksiums, it makes the Scott a much better buy. Cr1 is a great machine. Welcome to the dark side & see you at the 94.7!

Bianchi is the way to go, they have some good deals on the c2c infinito, also most top mtb riders spend most of their traing on road bikes

Off these 2 I would say go for the Scott, better bang for your buck.

If you are willing to spend a little more cash you may want to have a look at the S1 Cervelo. It is the most under rated bike on the market. Seriously, I have had 6 Cervelos to date and out of all of them I still loved the ride of that Alu one the best. It is as stiff as the carbon ones, costs half and rides like a machine in all different race scenarios. Just saying! You might go after a gem if you take this advice.

http://www.racycles.com/road/cervelo/closeouts/cervelo-s1-2010-frameset

They even ship to SA for a modest amount.

Edited by The_Break

I also say scott... I currently have a the Scott Addict but my dad brother has the cr1... Scott is incredible value for money and awesome bikes to ride.

I would not go for the Bianchi Centostrade reason being is for 20k you get the bianchi with veloce groupset. That bike weighs over 9kgs... Its a very heavy bike especially compared to the scott

For that budget:

Cannondale CAAD

Or

Scott.

:-)

CAAD 10 Ultegra is an awesome bike for 20 k. Just put a decent set of wheels on and it will fly the JHB hills.

The Prisma is a different choice. Aksiums are not bad wheels and you will be buying race wheels soon. Sell your mtb for carbon deep sections.

Scott CR1 Pro. I have one and love every second riding it. I also had a Cervelo S1 but the CR1 is a nicer ride for me personally.

Agreed with above sentiments. Of what you have for choices, I'd go for the Scott. If you have time to shop around, like Dale said, check out the CAAD's. (Me Biased?! :whistling: )

Whatever you get - make sure it's the correct size. Welcome to the suspension-less world...

Tank: it's not always dry... and a wet road ride is not so much fun as a wet mtb ride!

I would go for that R20k Merida @cyclelab with Dura-Ace and Falcrum wheels. Or just mount some Schwalbe Marathon Racers tubeless on you mtb and drop the roadies. Joining the roadie crowd....welcome to a new world of pollution, traffic and death just 1 meter away.

Saw this for 20k @cyclelab

MERIDA SCULTURA EVO DA

http://www.cyclelab.com/products/MERIDA%20SCULTURA%20EVO%20DA%20(2012)%20-%20ONLINE%20SPECIAL!.aspx

Edited by Berg Bok

CAAD 10 Ultegra is an awesome bike for 20 k. Just put a decent set of wheels on and it will fly the JHB hills.

+1 on the CAAD 10

I would go for that R20k Merida @cyclelab with Dura-Ace and Falcrum wheels. Or just mount some Schwalbe Marathon Racers tubeless on you mtb and drop the roadies. Joining the roadie crowd....welcome to a new world of pollution, traffic and death just 1 meter away.

Saw this for 20k @cyclelab

MERIDA SCULTURA EVO DA

http://www.cyclelab....20SPECIAL!.aspx

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

In all seriousness, we race road mainly on closed races: 94.7, Kremetart, Argus and the quieter ones like Vula Vula.

Training? That's what TacX and MTB are for!

and +1 on the Merida bikes, they are fantastic bikes at any price and are very good value too. I have a Merida full suss and love it.