Pro Classic Series - Western Cape Spring League

andydude

@jaco-fiets,

I like the idea of a CAT 2 (like Bainskloof) or CAT 1 climb (du Toits).

A hill climb is like a teaser.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with iCycling...why have a hill climb 100km away from everyone? and yes maybe the ascent is only 75m but it's as hard as you ride it, hell a flat TT for 6km can be murder.

The Glen and Signal Hill is a lekka combo.

Having never raced League before, how critical to one's 'success' is being a member of a team?

Darren Lill won by himself... :whistling:

That said nothing is impossible...

Red Hill might be an option... hold thumbs we can get the traffic permission.

Keep us updated, Zilla.

You're clearly in the know.

Cool!

@jaco-fiets,

I like the idea of a CAT 2 (like Bainskloof) or CAT 1 climb (du Toits).

A hill climb is like a teaser.

The problem with those is it falls under Boland, and not WPCA, so permissions etc are a problem, see above post for Red Hill. That is decent enough.

The problem with those is it falls under Boland, and not WPCA, so permissions etc are a problem, see above post for Red Hill. That is decent enough.

Yip, Red Hill is a beautiful climb.

Darren Lill won by himself... :whistling:

That said nothing is impossible...

Yeah, what a rider.

The money is NOT ALOT when you consider one tubular tire can be over R1000. One Dura ace Cassette is more... you spend thousands on carbon bikes, Shoes are thousands, and carbon bottle cages the list goes on... Have some perspective, and have some gratitude for the people that are working all year to make sure you have an event to take your shiny bike to the start line for.

Ask how much a MTB race entry fee is? I remember paying close on R350 for ONE event - the Gravel Travel, Only 75km, one day...

I completely agree with iCycling...why have a hill climb 100km away from everyone? and yes maybe the ascent is only 75m but it's as hard as you ride it, hell a flat TT for 6km can be murder.

Just to clarify - the focus of my "gripe" was not primarily on the money aspect. I also find it amusing if there is this big forum war about some entry increasing from R150 to R200; and then the next day they spend thousands on bling bike equipment without batting a eye lid.

My comment is more about offering more challenging (and more varied) races as part of the league. If you want to include a hill climb - at least make it a climb of a few kilometers in length to suite climbers. I like the idea of Bainskloof; or even that climb to the pump station in Gordonsbay. I am also not against a circuit race - but having the league decided on 3 x relatively short & flat races & 2 x one hour crits is relatively one dimensional, don't you think? Why must the spring league be suited only to sprinters?

1. How about replacing one circuit race with a longer (130km +) road race. (Like the 1-tonner; I know there is logistics but can a plan not be made?)

2. Make the hill climb a real challenge and utilize the great mountain passes we have in the Western Cape. (And please don't start carbon footprint arguments - us living in the Boland must commute to Cape Town in summer)

3. There is still a criterion & the flatter road races for the sprinters

This will give opportunities for all specialties and the GC contender is the best all rounder - as it should be! (With the points system losing time in one discipline need not be the end of the competition)

Many of us saw with the Mzunduzi how unprepared we are for long tough races after our spring league. League is supposed to be a stepping stone to a next level is it not?

NeverEnder I support your will for a multiple race season with varied races, 130km plus events and the reality though is that it's not as simple as creating a wish list and going forth.

The problem with One Tonner is that there is no shorter route to use for the Junior categories.

Obviously the best Climb available that is safe and provides all the parking and logistics necessary will be used. We cant just go camp wherever we want and block off roads.

Summer is typically a climbing season, spring is flatter, that's the way it's always been. Racing on a circuit like Paardeberg, offers enough hills over a fair distance for climbers to break the sprinters. but in summer the Cobra doesn't offer the same to sprinters... It's hardly possible to create a course that suits everyone. Just look at the TDF - they take one look at a stage an they will know the outcome, sprinter or climber to win it.

To be honest the gripes cannot be had with the PPA as they are working with the WPCA on this and the crits/circuit and HC fall under the CSA/WPCA's organisation, the PPA have used their 3 events that are possible on the calendar. If WPCA can put on more than that then that would be great.

The calendar is already very full though so I doubt there will be any room for more events.

My comment is more about offering more challenging (and more varied) races as part of the league. If you want to include a hill climb - at least make it a climb of a few kilometers in length to suite climbers. I like the idea of Bainskloof; or even that climb to the pump station in Gordonsbay. I am also not against a circuit race - but having the league decided on 3 x relatively short & flat races & 2 x one hour crits is relatively one dimensional, don't you think? Why must the spring league be suited only to sprinters?

1. How about replacing one circuit race with a longer (130km +) road race. (Like the 1-tonner; I know there is logistics but can a plan not be made?)

2. Make the hill climb a real challenge and utilize the great mountain passes we have in the Western Cape. (And please don't start carbon footprint arguments - us living in the Boland must commute to Cape Town in summer)

3. There is still a criterion & the flatter road races for the sprinters

I like your reasoning, Neverender.

Especially creating good opportunity for the climbers to rule as well as the riders with big legs.

@ Zilla, I appreciate all the planning, logistical challenges etc that goes with organising a League racing system.

Eish!

Some more feedback to the upcoming Spring League:

RE the end September 3 day event...

Personally, I don't have that kind of time, energy and space available to commit.

It is so much easier to commit to one event at a time.

I am sure this would apply to others as well.

Let me wait for more details to follow.

Edited by ' Dale

Red Hill might be an option... hold thumbs we can get the traffic permission.

that's what I heard from someone close to the organisers - early days, but here's hoping.

I like the racing with PPA events...this is how I got my wife into cycling.

While I was racing she hit's the short route. It is a win-win situation...the league gives the PPA races a bit more entries than normal.