buying a 29er - frame size

W@nna-BE

Both my 29ers are 21" the Silverback is an XL while the Fuji is a L.

Different brands so suggest sizing up before buying

i am 1.77m, its a Titan Carbon Race, i just manage to stand over the head tube,

You need a M

• 4 months later...

I have a scott spark 940 29er and my lenth is 1.78m,was spect for a medium bike! My seatpost is extended all the way to its end with my legs bent 25 degrees! Basically its spot on! If I would have taken a large bike I would have sat into the frame a lot more but my handling would have been a lot worse so I reakon my Decision in taking a medium helps me handle the bike better and It does'nt mak me feel unstable when the twisties come along!

i am 1.65. ride a small 26"ht, when I went for a fitting on the 29" scott spark, guy said I needed a medium

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. I currently ride a medium 26er merida and it fits great. I want to get a scott spark but according to the size chart im on the border between small and medium

If i stand over the small it touches my crotch. According to some articles there should be 2 inch clearance between top tube and crotch.. Does this mean i should go for extra small? I am 1.71 with 31 inch inseam... Please help..im desperate

i am 1.65. ride a small 26"ht, when I went for a fitting on the 29" scott spark, guy said I needed a medium

If a 1.65m shortie needs a medium then a 1.71m needs a L ........LOL

At 171cm I'd recommend 650b or stick with a 26er.

But some say you should select the frame that allows you to run a wide bar and short stem. This would imply a medium frame.

However you really need to be able to try a demo before you decide whether a small or medium will work best for YOU

Hi guys. I currently ride a medium 26er merida and it fits great. I want to get a scott spark but according to the size chart im on the border between small and medium

If i stand over the small it touches my crotch. According to some articles there should be 2 inch clearance between top tube and crotch.. Does this mean i should go for extra small? I am 1.71 with 31 inch inseam... Please help..im desperate

medium. Don't consider the 2 inch gap thing. 

And hell no, not XS. Please.

You MAY be a small in some frame sizing, depending on the geo, but on the Scott I'll put my money down and say you're firmly in medium territory. 

Get as short a stem as you can, will help you going down trails.

Also drop your handlebar below the headset spacers.

But yes, 177cm isn't really large.

This thread has come at an opportune time.

I'm about 172cm, currently have a medium (17in) Spez 26er. Looking at a Giant XTC 29er now....frame size is medium which is 18in per Giant sizing.....too big??

This thread has come at an opportune time.

I'm about 172cm, currently have a medium (17in) Spez 26er. Looking at a Giant XTC 29er now....frame size is medium which is 18in per Giant sizing.....too big??

Look at the top tube sizing and reach between the 2.

Medium should be fine

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Look at the top tube sizing and reach between the 2.

Medium should be fine

Hi Myles, thanks.

I did look up the geometry quickly.

For my 26er....standover height 724mm

For the giant (2016 model so I'm assuming the same)....752cm so roughly 3cm taller. 

Think you're right and its probably ok.