Oscar Pistorius

Azonic

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Na-ah, can't have it both ways.

+1 He got into the Olympics based on the fact that his blades did not give him an unfair advantage - now he's turning round and saying that blades give his opponent an unfair advantage.

Thats worthy of a triple face plant in my opinion.

+1 He got into the Olympics based on the fact that his blades did not give him an unfair advantage - now he's turning round and saying that blades give his opponent an unfair advantage.

Thats worthy of a triple face plant in my opinion.

I like Oscar, but i have to agree with this...

"Thats worthy of a triple face plant in my opinion"

I looked up a few online stories on the topic. A few years back he was investigated by a bunch of scientists and barred from competition. Oscar hired his own lawyers and scientists and had the ban overturned. Now, some of those same lawyers have changed their tune and admitted that there might be some advantages.

Some points raised:

1) Because of not having lower limbs, his legs need a substantial amount less oxygen to function. He does not have lower limbs. Advantage lost due to artificial connections to his legs.

2) Some argue that there is a substantial less lactic acid buildup while running, so the "burn" factor is gone. He cannot feel his quads burning and compensating for having lower limbs? Did you see his hammies?

3) When running, the carbon blades take up the impact that otherwise would have to been taken up by a "normal" athletes feet, ankles, hips and lower back. Back to my joint point... a single point of impact to his leg - that must be eina! And does Oscar not have a spine? The Carbon legs cannot be that flexible, otherwise he would never get away.

4) No lower legs means no strains, less injuries etc = more training. 5 Contact points on a bicycle, and cyclist still suffer with saddle sores. That contact point on his leg must surely hurt after too much training.

5) The carbon legs weigh quite a bit less than real limbs, surely making it easier to swing them back for the next "step". Ok, and how do you make that point, taking into consideration that he actually cantilevers on the legs? How do you "feel" how to swing a blade that is attached to the back of your knee?

6) Personally, from my side: Height wise he is roughly as tall as other other sprinters. Not like Usain Bolt that is very tall with long legs making it possible for him to have a very long stride and a lower "leg speed" and still win. When Oscar runs you can see that his "leg speed" is lower than most of the other sprinters, yet he mostly keeps up with them. How is that possible? Longer "bounce" factor. I believe that this could possibly be the only point that you have that makes sense. There is the bounce effect, but having the lower leg speed, proves that having the prostheses is not (other for the bounce effect) an advantage.

In addition to the above, the oke doesn't have lower legs!!! Will you trade your lower legs for some blades? FFS! Give the man credit!

In addition to the above, the oke doesn't have lower legs!!! Will you trade your lower legs for some blades? FFS! Give the man credit!

Please go stand by the kumbaya crowd, the rest of us would like to discuss facts with a side of science.

one of the comments on news24

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Paralympics2012/Oscar-apologises-for-outburst-20120903

"Now you know Oscar how the T43 single amputees have felt for many years watching you with a unfair advantage going past them , they never complained. This will all change now as you will be with other T44 double amputees only. See what happens boytjie. Oh yea recieving your medal with glasses on nice touch maybe you will now see the brazilian coming past you in the 400m"

Why doesn't Oscar challenge the other dude to a race without their blades?

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea recieving your medal with glasses on nice touch maybe you will now see the brazilian coming past you in the 400m"[/size][/font][/color]

Maybe he wants to qualify for the blind race too?

Always thought he was a humble guy but after the race and him complaining, he has lost my respect.

He had the race in the bag and tapped of to soon and now he is shifting his loss to other factors but not looking at himself, Asshole.....

There is, of course, the small matter of him not actually qualifying for the Olympics either...

He has never won an Olympic medal (he does have a World Champs medal for 4x400).

But, he did qualify for Olympics (ran a time quick enough for IAAF and IOC to accept him into Olympics if Sascoc nominated him) ... as for Sascoc rules, he did not meet the Sascoc criteria for 400m BUT according to Sascoc agreement (signed with Athletics SA two years ago) as a member of the 4x400m team he is allowed to run in 400 because he ran better than the B qualifying time. The 4x400m team qualified to enter because they were considered to have medal potential.

Read Ross Tucker's analysis of Oscar (search on the web) it is a good (but very long read). There is no doubt he is a very inspirational athlete because of what he has achieved (and maybe that is enough for him to run at olympics ????) , but I think he has proven over the past couple of days that his speed is determined by his prosthesis and not his natural ability.

I believe he has admitted with his statements that he can adjust he speed depending on what "legs" he is wearing and that makes a farce of an even competition.

Sadly, I have a diminished opinion of him after that outburst. If the people organising Paralympic sport or whoever the governing body is have a set of rules and the Brazilian was inside those rules then I'm of the opinion that OP should be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute.

Legs or no legs he is an arrogant prick who will fight at any opportunity as long as it suits him. W@nker

I am also dissapointed in his stance taken and do not fully agree with his qualification to compete,however,he did not make the rules and he is entitled to compete if he is allowed to.

I definitely do not agree with your rude and insulting opinion of him

Please go stand by the kumbaya crowd, the rest of us would like to discuss facts with a side of science.

Oh really, you made one point of your own and quoted a few others... The only science that you got right here, was to Google some stuff... Are you a scientist, or at least an engineer to quantify what you have said?

Answer me this, if he has this advantage, why don't you trade your lowers for a new shiny carbon bit?

I said, and will say again: Give the man some credit. DO I dislike him after his rant? Nope. It only goes to show that he is also human.

Oh really, you made one point of your own and quoted a few others... The only science that you got right here, was to Google some stuff... Are you a scientist, or at least an engineer to quantify what you have said?

Answer me this, if he has this advantage, why don't you trade your lowers for a new shiny carbon bit?

I said, and will say again: Give the man some credit. DO I dislike him after his rant? Nope. It only goes to show that he is also human.

Funny how what I, and MANY other say need to be backed up by a row of scientists and double-blind tests - and what you say can be backed up with a cup of cocoa and a fuzzy blanket. Don't waste my time.