full suspension

MTBiker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got offered a Santa cruz Superlight with full lx and a xt rear derauiler and a fox f100rl fork and rp23 rear shock for R22 000.

Is this a good price for a santa cruz

I suppose where I ride' date=' we put the equipment to the real test. [/quote']

Ok now i'm in stichesLOL...

I'veowned two Lefty's in 6yrs and both are still running smoothly.

Even Aaron Chase and Cedric Gracia have used and abused Lefty's without breaking them.

All if it's so wrong then I guess landing gear on aircraft and the Mac struts on your car are wrong too..LOL

Dont get the lefty. So many ppl I know here' date=' who once had them, complained and I dont even see them around any more.

It was just a bad idea from the beginning!
[/quote']

Wake up and smell the roses rookie ryda!! No wonder you call yourself a rookie rider, because your knowledge on things related to mountainbiking is very limited!!

How many times did Christoph Sauser win on a Scalpel with a lefty? What bike does the current under 23 world champion ride?

So if it was a bad idea from the start why do these bikes with these front suspensions win?

Rather refrain from making such utterly useless and uninformed comments on a subject about which you clearly do not know too much about!!

Even Aaron Chase and Cedric Gracia have used and abused Lefty's without breaking them.

All if it's so wrong then I guess landing gear on aircraft and the Mac struts on your car are wrong too..LOL

Lefties came a close second on last years Cape Epic' date=' but I suppose that's not a big enough test for you Rookie_ryda.

[/quote']

Lefties doing well at the Epic is a Lefty doing what it was designed for.

I don't know for sure what rookie ryda's mates were unhappy about, however, if I may assume, I'll say this...

She lives in Vancouver and rides the North Shore daily and her idea of a good weekend away is the bikepark in Whistler. I bet she'll teach both of you and myself a few things about technical trail riding.

I've spent some time on a Lefty myself and just don't like the damping on the thing. It's not progressive enough and feels like it blows through the travel. This is not a very confidence inspiring feeling when you're bombing down steep terrain. It just doesn't feel suited to steep, technical riding and big hits. This was a complaint voiced about these forks years ago.

Different story when you're paid to ride them like Chase and Gracia and can probably also get it custom valved....just a possibility I'm saying.

Also, C/dale just dropped the Lefty Max long travel version from it's lineup....could that suggest something?

And please be nice to RR....she's a fellow S.African and they showed me great hospitality when I was over there!

MintSauce out! Big%20smile

Dont get the lefty. So many ppl I know here' date=' who once had them, complained and I dont even see them around any more.

It was just a bad idea from the beginning!
[/quote']

Wake up and smell the roses rookie ryda!! No wonder you call yourself a rookie rider, because your knowledge on things related to mountainbiking is very limited!!

How many times did Christoph Sauser win on a Scalpel with a lefty? What bike does the current under 23 world champion ride?

So if it was a bad idea from the start why do these bikes with these front suspensions win?

Rather refrain from making such utterly useless and uninformed comments on a subject about which you clearly do not know too much about!!

Relax Scalpel....don't take offence so easily. And read my previous post please

MTBiker, is that a 2007 frame Superlight ? Thats a very reasonable price !!

Mines a 2006 and I couldn't be happier.

Lefties came a close second on last years Cape Epic' date=' but I suppose that's not a big enough test for you Rookie_ryda.

[/quote']

Lefties doing well at the Epic is a Lefty doing what it was designed for.

I don't know for sure what rookie ryda's mates were unhappy about, however, if I may assume, I'll say this...

She lives in Vancouver and rides the North Shore daily and her idea of a good weekend away is the bikepark in Whistler. I bet she'll teach both of you and myself a few things about technical trail riding.

I've spent some time on a Lefty myself and just don't like the damping on the thing. It's not progressive enough and feels like it blows through the travel. This is not a very confidence inspiring feeling when you're bombing down steep terrain. It just doesn't feel suited to steep, technical riding and big hits. This was a complaint voiced about these forks years ago.

Different story when you're paid to ride them like Chase and Gracia and can probably also get it custom valved....just a possibility I'm saying.

Also, C/dale just dropped the Lefty Max long travel version from it's lineup....could that suggest something?

And please be nice to RR....she's a fellow S.African and they showed me great hospitality when I was over there!

MintSauce out! Big%20smile

1)

Lefty's can be tuned to suit your riding characteristics by either changing the oil or changing the shim stack. I've done both. your lBS could do the same job if they could be half arsed too, but most are too darn lazy ortoo scared to try.

2) Lefty Max was dropped but thats because Cannondale has a new Long travelLefty on the way. This new Lefty will be fitted to the new 130mm and the new 160mm trailbikes that will be launched soon. End Feb I believe.

3) Cannondale fitting Fox and other forks to their bikes is not an admission that "Forks" are better but rather a necessary evil to meet lower pricepoints while still offering a top notch parts kit and frame to the rider.

The new trails bikes will be both Lefty and Fox Vans or RS Lyrik equiped.

Lefty is not going anywhere so get used to it LOL

Ok....I was told by a friend who gets down on his knees every day and worships before his Prophet that they were dropping the Max and fitting normal forks in stead, so him supposedly knowing all things Cannondale, I assumed he had his facts straight....I'll be sure to give him one behind the ear next time I see him! Wink

As I've stated before, I do respect C/dale as a company and they make great products. Lefty just doesn't appeal to me.

Besides, I don't have to customize my Fox to get it to suit me Big%20smile

Speaking of Cannondales, how weird was it to see Frans on a Giant at nationals? He was on Cannondale for what seemed like an eternity?

MTBiker, is that a 2007 frame Superlight ? Thats a very reasonable price !!

Mines a 2006 and I couldn't be happier

Yep

and I decided to go for it   smiley4.gif MTBiker2008-01-22 10:02:48

Ok....I was told by a friend who gets down on his knees every day and worships before his Prophet that they were dropping the Max and fitting normal forks in stead' date=' so him supposedly knowing all things Cannondale, I assumed he had his facts straight....I'll be sure to give him one behind the ear next time I see him! Wink

As I've stated before, I do respect C/dale as a company and they make great products. Lefty just doesn't appeal to me.

Besides, I don't have to customize my Fox to get it to suit me Big%20smile

Speaking of Cannondales, how weird was it to see Frans on a Giant at nationals? He was on Cannondale for what seemed like an eternity?

[/quote']

Frans has been on Giants for a year now. The reasons behind the switch had a lot to do with the deal than bike performance.

Sure Lefty is not to everyone's taste, but there are few people who know why they don't like it. For most it's just a simple "it looks wrong" and they leave it there. You should try my bike some time and then decide.

The difference between Fox and Lefty or RS in terms of damping is mostly in the oil thats used. Often, the oil is too light. I use Spectro 5W which is actually as viscous as FOX Fork Oil 7.5W. There's a lot about oil choice and fork performance that most owners never realise.Cry

Fox do have wonderful adjustaility straight out of the box which is why I'm  considered getting the Lefty Speed Fox RLC for this year. But I now that I have my CArbon Lefty Speed DLR2 working so sweetly I'm not sure I will..

Your friend is correct, Lefty Max is being dropped, but it is being replaced by another Lefty. The new Lefty was not ready in time for the mainstream 2008 launch so all Prophets were fitted with Fork or RS forks. Also makes them more appealing to the more conservative buyer who can't wrap their head around a Macpherson Strut without some bodywork around itLOL

Someone commented on the handling of the Lefty earlier. What a lot of people who buy a Cannondale with a Lefty don't realise is that Cannondale bikes are intened to be agile fast handling machines for the east coast trails of the USA. It's a woodlands bike and you get the best out of it on singletrack. The front end of a Cannondale has a different trail and fork offset which (Something Fisher seemed to have copied with their HiFi) to achieve this. Bikes like the Ellsworth, Titus, Marin, Specialized are designed for West coast conditions which tend to be drier. Hence if you look at a Rush you will see it has ample mud clearance while the west coast bikes don't.

Lefty has the best mud clearanceof any fork which fits in with this design philosophy. And 1457gr for a 110mm travel fork that has a 20mm bolt on axle is darn specialClap