Tyres not seating in rims!

BBN

Have ZTR Arch rims with Stan's tape and Ritchey WCS Shield tyres 29 and they keep popping off the rims when I get to about 3 bar, it's bloody scary!

Anyone have any advice??

Tyres say 4.5bar! Is there a problem with compatibility between the tyre bead and the rim?

Edited by big bad norm

This must be pissing you off ey

That Pyga needs to do her Maiden asap!

I know, getting the headset fitted then we build!

Thanks. Is there any trick to seat a tyre before you pump?

Edited by big bad norm

Everyone has their own theory.

For me, compressed air, inflate but not too hard. Check the bead on both sides, then inflate rock hard and leave for 2 to three days so the tire can form its shape.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but this is how I have done it with conti protection tyres on a tubeless conversion.

There is no way you can run 3bar on the gravel, the bike will be way to lose. I pump mine about 1.8bar and it rides like a dream. Is it a tubeless tire? As I noticed using normal tires converted to tubeless does seem to pop off as it happened to my Ikons.

Are they seating properly before you pushing the higher pressure.

Sometimes the may not be seated in one place and at 3 bar as they jump to seat it can pop off.

Try inflating to about 2 bar then chen check all the way round that they are evenly seated.

You may find in one spot they are still pinched in if thats the right way to explain what i mean if so use you hands to try pull out and it should pop onto the bead.

Then u can inflate higher.

I like to let them sit for a hour or so at about 4 bar then i will deflate throw in some sealer and reinflate to normal pressure and ride.

I used to be a firm believer of soaping the rimstrip and tyre bead up before installation. I'd do that, then bomb it with a compressor to be sure that the tyre will inflate. Then I deflate it, pop about 15-20cm of the tyre bead off the rim and chuck in the sealant. Pop tyre back and bomb it again till it inflates. When its semi hard, bounce the wheel on the ground while turning it with every bounce. job done.

BUT.

I sukkeled my ass off getting my 29'er tyres to seal on AM Classic Race 29 wheels with the AM Classic tubeless tape using the method above.

What I do now is this... Pour a cap-full of sealant into a bottle cap, and I mean about 50ml. Take a small paint brush and literally paint the rimstrip with sealant, make it lekker wet. Its not a loss because it'll end up inside your tyre anyway. Put the tyre on now. When the tyre is flat and the beads are soft and possibly pushed against each other in the rim channel, paint the bead with sealant as well. In other words, the brush is now between the bead on the one side and the inside of the rim. Do both sides. Now bomb the tyre, mine took first time, and because the beads are wet (with sealant) the tyre seats all around the wheel perfectly. With some tyres and rim combos you have to pump the tyre pretty hard otherwise it doesn't "climb out" all the way around properly. I found that doing it this way that there is allot less leaking around the bead before the sealant plugs things from the inside. So from here back to the old way, deflate the tyre and pop 15-20cm of bead off the rim. Chuck whatever is left in the cap-full into the tyre and whatever amount you want to extra (I usually put allot of sealant in). Bead on, and bomb it. Job done.

Check for any excess knobs of rubber on your bead. Could be the issue!

I'm voting for a defective bead/tyre aswell , by 2,5 bars that bead should be set perfectly. It must explode off the rim with a ginormous bang when it pops off at that 3bars , eeish scary stuff!!

I try run whatever tyres I put on my ZTR Flow as tubeless , whether the tyre are designed for tubeless or not , I've noticed non folding bead tyres are often the difficult or neigh impossible ones to setup tubeless. Some tyres just cant be run tubeless , google your tyre and see if other people have successfully used them that way.

Lots of info guys, thanks.

The tyres are Ritchey WCS tubeless ready and should go up to 4.5bar easily. I normally ride my 26" RaceKing UST at about 3.8bar!

I have seen plenty of these tyres on the same rims.

Will take them to my LBS on Mon for a check.

Cheers, Norm

Got the same tyres on Crests with no problems but I never pump then that high. 4.5 For the tyre, but not on that rim.

Edited by Berg Bok

Are you sure that the rims are spec'ced for that pressure? I know my 355's have a maximum pressure allowed relative to the tyre width. While the tyre may say 4.5bar, you are the first person I know of who runs the tyres according to those pressures. But your problem should not be occurring regardless. I would agree with the defective tyre idea since the ZTR have the bead-lock technology which should really prevent that from happening.

EDIT: The max for the rim is 40psi (3.5bar) from what I gather. So while the tyre/rim combo is failing, you are really at the top end of pressure.

Edited by Ross Winckworth