29ers rule - Olympic 1st and 3rd, 4th, 5th .... etc

kingalton

That's what I love about the "Its all marketing" brigade - they don't let facts and experience get in the way of their conspiracy theories.

Still riding that Bridgstone MB1 of yours?

AxisRobbie's got a cool one:

post-1604-0-42188600-1345007359.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AxisRobbie's got a cool one:

post-1604-0-42188600-1345007359.jpg

I still have a soft spot for those bikes! I'm sure I left drool marks on many shop windows back in the day.

Ahh I wonder what ever happened to my Diamondback Apex?

I still have a soft spot for those bikes! I'm sure I left drool marks on many shop windows back in the day.

Ahh I wonder what ever happened to my Diamondback Apex?

I spent most of my final year at varsity tooling around on a mate's Topanga.

Not so long ago mountain bicycles as regards weight, materials ,geometries and technologies had reached a point where manufacturers(arguably) were unable to bring anything really ground breaking.

The marketing gurus know the psychology of the buyer.

The result seems that the marketing people realise that 2 new wheel sizes will be the new ticket to selling more bicycles.

A demand gets created.The consumer gets "told" what he "needs".

Bicycle manufacturers need sales to make profit.The obvious easy way is make the old wheel size redundant and start a whole new market on bigger wheels.Its good for business.

Manufacturers put sponsored riders on the new wheel sizes and they win....WOW...thing is they would have won on any size wheel.So buyer thinks that new wheel size must be "better".

Fact is its marketing wether we admit it or not....and if you really "believe " that you are faster/better/smoother/enjoy your ride more then that's great....its called sports psychology....if you believe its better then it will be ...if you believe it will make a difference between 1st and 2nd place then it will.....its bullsh#t and everybody loves it.

My deduction out of the XC Olympics was that its the rider that counts.

Kulhavy rode a heavier bike than the other riders....remember he opted for a dual suspension....yet he won....why...the wheel size?...the brand of bike?....the softer ride of the dual suspension?.....the colour of his wheels?......

No he won because he was the strongest rider.....

As I’ve said, we all know there is a difference between 26ers, 27.5 and 29ers. In fact, I recon 99.9% of our hubbers would agree that there is a difference, we just don’t see eye to eye with regards to which wheel size holds the most benefits. Ok, so we agree there is a difference, right? If there is a difference, it means there will be a difference in the end results in a race. Sure, maybe the heaviest bike won (and I buy your argument that the rider was therefore the strongest/best on the day), but ask yourself, what would have happened if the winner was on a different bike? If he was on a lighter bike, would the gap between 1st and 2nd have been greater? Smaller wheel sizes are lighter (for the same technology) seeing that less materials is used. So if Mr 2nd rode with 26” wheels he would have won since the gap between 1st and 2nd was so small? No, weight plays a role, but different wheel sizes performs different dependent on the terrain in question.

What sells best?

1. Our 27.5” came second so therefore you need to convert now; or
  2. Our bike came first so our brand is the best.

If it was a marketing ploy, all the riders would have been on 27.5 because we all know that this is the new hype in the market. I agree that marketing is there for a reason and that marketing sometimes focus on creating a need that does not exist. That being said, I think these guys rode the bikes that they thought would give them the best shot at winning (at the time, as bike/wheel choices change as technology becomes better).

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying 29er is the best. I am saying that each wheel size is the best for a given terrain and track. I am also saying that I think sponsors would rather win by sponsoring whatever they/the rider thinks is best, than lose just to show of the latest gadget…

That's what I love about the "Its all marketing" brigade - they don't let facts and experience get in the way of their conspiracy theories.

Still riding that Bridgstone MB1 of yours?

In the absence of real scientific facts, the facts and experience is that a stronger rider will triumph over a weaker rider no matter what wheel size he/she/they are on.

As I’ve said, we all know there is a difference between 26ers, 27.5 and 29ers. In fact, I recon 99.9% of our hubbers would agree that there is a difference, we just don’t see eye to eye with regards to which wheel size holds the most benefits. Ok, so we agree there is a difference, right? If there is a difference, it means there will be a difference in the end results in a race. Sure, maybe the heaviest bike won (and I buy your argument that the rider was therefore the strongest/best on the day), but ask yourself, what would have happened if the winner was on a different bike? If he was on a lighter bike, would the gap between 1st and 2nd have been greater? Smaller wheel sizes are lighter (for the same technology) seeing that less materials is used. So if Mr 2nd rode with 26” wheels he would have won since the gap between 1st and 2nd was so small? No, weight plays a role, but different wheel sizes performs different dependent on the terrain in question.

What sells best?

1. Our 27.5” came second so therefore you need to convert now; or
  2. Our bike came first so our brand is the best.

If it was a marketing ploy, all the riders would have been on 27.5 because we all know that this is the new hype in the market. I agree that marketing is there for a reason and that marketing sometimes focus on creating a need that does not exist. That being said, I think these guys rode the bikes that they thought would give them the best shot at winning (at the time, as bike/wheel choices change as technology becomes better).

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying 29er is the best. I am saying that each wheel size is the best for a given terrain and track. I am also saying that I think sponsors would rather win by sponsoring whatever they/the rider thinks is best, than lose just to show of the latest gadget…

I hear and understand all you have said.

Consider that each rider at the Olympics is arguably the best his country has to offer.

Also consider that each of those riders win in their home countries

Added to this each of these riders ride the best of what their manufacturer/sponsor has to offer.

In the mix of all this best of the best ....the best rider wins if all other factors go perfect like....good/bad start.....mechanicals etc.aside.

just remember... Synchronised Swimming is an olympic sport Rugby isnt... Bet you the trail was a flat fast doddle... :D

Edited by JTK

In the absence of real scientific facts, the facts and experience is that a stronger rider will triumph over a weaker rider no matter what wheel size he/she/they are on.

Almost all of cycling is a blend of experience, feel, faux science and marketing. Stem length/height, bar width, tyre choice, saddle etc are all chosen on rider feel, comfort, perceived speed, marketing input, weight, perceived performance, reviews etc so why is it that we can accept that all of these factors make a difference but the choice of 3 wheel sizes is all marketing hype?

Kulhavy probably would have won on a 26er...what about a 24" wheel? 20" wheel? At some point the wheel size would have been too small to be efficient. Likewise if he rode a 40" wheel he probably would not have won. There is a range of sizes that are efficient - who says that 26" is the sweet spot? Just because it was the first accepted standard does not mean it's the right size.

Pick the right equipment for you I say and thanks to manufacturers we can now add "wheel size" to our list of choices - I'm all for it personally!

Pick the right equipment for you I say and thanks to manufacturers we can now add "wheel size" to our list of choices - I'm all for it personally!

Yeah, peeps who state the riders are told what to ride forget that riders on the same teams even opt for different wheel sizes.

In the end, as always, it is not about the bike.

Put Stander on any bike, He will still be in the top 5 of the olympics.

And again it depends on the terrain and type of racing you do.

In the end it is all about who is the better rider, not what bike you ride. A real painter can piant with any brush and still be great.

In the end, as always, it is not about the bike.

Put Stander on any bike, He will still be in the top 5 of the olympics.

And again it depends on the terrain and type of racing you do.

In the end it is all about who is the better rider, not what bike you ride. A real painter can piant with any brush and still be great.

Yes and no. I'll happily challenge Burry to an XCO race with him on a 12" BMX and me on my Niner Air. I reckon I'll kick his ass proper.

Within reason the bike doesn't count but when seconds count you want the right fit, weight, performance, strength and reliability. All these factors come from the final "polishing" of the bike. Wheel size doesn't make a huge difference - I'll be impressed if it's even a full % but it does make a difference.

Anyone who has ridden a 29er and tells me he can't feel the difference either knows diddly squat about bikes or is lying to himself.

+1

Your view summarises my view 100%.

However the problem that arise is that your average arm-chair-world-cup-racing-hubber feels the need to justify purchasing/not purchasing a bike with a different wheel size. The justification is attempted by dissing the other wheel size to the max which yields numerous pointless wheel size threads.

Select your equipment. Shut up. And ride.

+1

Your view summarises my view 100%.

However the problem that arise is that your average arm-chair-world-cup-racing-hubber feels the need to justify purchasing/not purchasing a bike with a different wheel size. The justification is attempted by dissing the other wheel size to the max which yields numerous pointless wheel size threads.

Select your equipment. Shut up. And ride.

:thumbup:

This "average arm-chair-world-cup-racing-hubber" bought his because it was cheap, and he had the money at the time…and he was too bone-idle to get round to fixing the other bikes he had at home.

My favourite part about all this never ending 29" vs 26" debate is the fact that the bike companies marketing hype has convinced you 29er fans that ROAD BIKE size wheels (700c/29") are the way to go - endless arguments about why mountain bikes should be more like road bikes.... when i bought my last MTB - the sales guys tried very hard to convince me that 29er was the way " cos it let him keep up with the roadies on the club rides"

If you're into road riding buy a roadbike, if you like jumping buy a bmx.if you wanna look cool, buy a miami style cruiser... carbon, alu ,titanium, 29, 26, single speed, 1 x 9, 1 x 10, 3 x 10...whatever! its a freakin bike at the end of the day, not a fashion accessory to associate yourself with a unique market segment or niche - if you like the way it rides, the way it makes you feel - then its the right one for you.

Burry should move over to 27.5.

Daai 29er lyk te groot vir hom, man.

AGREED, I think the 27.5 would be better suited to his riding style and body size etc.