Whats a nice width and rise for Bars on an All Mountain MTB?

Skylark

I'm running 660mm wide with about a 25mm rise

I could do with more leverage for lifting the front for bunny-hops and wheely mayhem - people say the wider the better for stability which is always good

Whats a nice width/rise , considering I ride a fair amount of windy singletrack stuff , don't want to be snagging trees all the time - I also wouldn't mind going to a 35mm or bigger rise so I can ride more upright.

Apart from actual widths etc any recomendations on bars that aren't gona smash the bank?

Bars are going on a Shova with 140mm forks

Shot :thumbup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

710mmm with 15-25mm rise....... Very comfy and lots of control. You'll notice a big difference from 660 to 710 in the control of the bike

KCNC SC Bone or Easton EA70

Edited by akneethling

710mmm with 15-25mm rise....... Very comfy and lots of control. You'll notice a big difference from 660 to 710 in the control of the bike

KCNC SC Bone or Easton EA70

Thats 50mm up - you still fine at 710mm in the woods?

Anyone else use extra wide bars for windy/woody stuff - isses/things to be aware of?

710mm to 760mm bars on all my bikes.

Most comfortable of them is the 710mm Pro Koryak . Light, still and the back sweep and up sweep is perfect.

760 on the ht and 780 on the dh bike. Got a bargain on a brave monster bar on crc. Just R 280 for that. Thik they still have the high rise as well.

And ito width... I have hit one tree, and then only just brushed it, with the wider bars. But the extra control you have... My my my.

760 on the ht and 780 on the dh bike. Got a bargain on a brave monster bar on crc. Just R 280 for that. Thik they still have the high rise as well.

And ito width... I have hit one tree, and then only just brushed it, with the wider bars. But the extra control you have... My my my.

Yeah this is sounding amazing , things feel soo wrong at 660

Leverage on 760 must be so sweet

Wider is also a more comfortable riding position if I remember it correctly?

Yeah this is sounding amazing , things feel soo wrong at 660

Leverage on 760 must be so sweet

Wider is also a more comfortable riding position if I remember it correctly?

Absolutely. I went from 620mm on 100mm stem to 760 on 35mm. And 30mm extra travel up front. It was like extreme makeover hardtail edition.

Ok i'm doing it!

What width and rise would you guys recommend running on my Large Shova with 140mm forks?

Anyone else use extra wide bars for windy/woody stuff - isses/things to be aware of?

710-720 would be the perfect balance...... take the plunge. If you don't like it you'll sell it off easily.

I ride 710 in woody single track......... no issues with branches

You'll notice the extra control immediately. You'll be more comfortable in your ride

Mayhem, so do you have a long travel ht? What brand?

Yeah, i do. It's a 2008 felt q620. The year before they hydroformed the hell out of the tubing, and the year that they gusseted and welded it more than a current day nuclear sub. It's helluva strong, and I've converted her to 1x9 and put a 150mm ork on the front.

Here she is with the IDT wheel on and my dh bike's front wheel. Normal wheels are white spank subrosas

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n546/mylesmayhew2409/8d760dba5c6055ce64c99a700fb9b6d9.jpg

And a pic with the old fork, a 120mm Reba

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n546/mylesmayhew2409/053550ae.jpg

For AM I'd say 740mm with 20mm rise. Spank Spoon. That's what i run on my AM rig and it works great.

On my way back from the Alps now where I was running 780mm with 10mm rise on my DH rig (Renthal Fatbar), and even those are fine for the twisty windy of the French Forests.

I'm running Renthal fat bars cut down to 720mm - Sweet as .. :)

Hells yeah, Renthals rock. I probably should have gone for 20mm rise in stead of 10.

But hey, cutting yours down to 720mm is sacrilege! Haha

For AM I'd say 740mm with 20mm rise. Spank Spoon. That's what i run on my AM rig and it works great.

On my way back from the Alps now where I was running 780mm with 10mm rise on my DH rig (Renthal Fatbar), and even those are fine for the twisty windy of the French Forests.

Hells yeah, Renthals rock. I probably should have gone for 20mm rise in stead of 10.

But hey, cutting yours down to 720mm is sacrilege! Haha

Patches

Considering those bars have suffered severe damage and must have been abused by baggage handlers, I wil out of kindness offer to take them off your hands for R50 inc postage to CT so that you may purchase the bars with 20mm rise.

OP, I have 710mm kcnc rampant bars on low riser with a 60mm stem on my medium Shova and 150mm fork.

Should I have any tree strikes it is due to my skill letting me down

H