Honda S2000, will bike fit?

Pure Savage

Nice car and no reason why you can't put a bike on it. I've got a Lotus 7 replica similar to the one below and trust me it's tiny compared to a S2000 and if this guy can put a bike on a 7 then a S2000 is not a problem.

that is something I would LOVE to build. Just need the garage space and the cash. R 400k IIRC for a Superlight 300.

that is something I would LOVE to build. Just need the garage space and the cash. R 400k IIRC for a Superlight 300.

No need to build it yourself or spend R400k. You can buy a second hand Birkin for around R60k.

No need to build it yourself or spend R400k. You can buy a second hand Birkin for around R60k.

the thing is, i WANT to build it. Something so rewarding about that. And also - I CAN build one. Rebuilt the motor on my mini many a time. Motor hoist on the car-port at home. Those were the days...

so - birkin at 60k. Safe to say that one without a motor would be around 30k, right? Hmmmm.... Old Gixxer motor would fit very well.

the thing is, i WANT to build it. Something so rewarding about that. And also - I CAN build one. Rebuilt the motor on my mini many a time. Motor hoist on the car-port at home. Those were the days...

so - birkin at 60k. Safe to say that one without a motor would be around 30k, right? Hmmmm.... Old Gixxer motor would fit very well.

A R60k Birkin will be at least 20 years old so will need quite a bit of work and given the nature of these cars you will get plenty of chances to rebuild it so that should satisfy that need. Not common to find chassis only. What's a gixxer motor? If it's a motorbike engine then I wouldn't recommend it. They were the in thing about 10 years ago and most have been changed back to proper car engines. Best option is Toyota 4AGE 20 valve.

A R60k Birkin will be at least 20 years old so will need quite a bit of work and given the nature of these cars you will get plenty of chances to rebuild it so that should satisfy that need. Not common to find chassis only. What's a gixxer motor? If it's a motorbike engine then I wouldn't recommend it. They were the in thing about 10 years ago and most have been changed back to proper car engines. Best option is Toyota 4AGE 20 valve.

oooh... A 4AGE. Nice.

And yes - Gixxer = Suzuki GSXR. And yeah, it just wouldn't be pure...

And sweet. 20 years old is cool. My mini was an '84 model and still ran like a song.

I like your way of thinking. Old aquintance of mine fitted one to a Mini. What a riot that little thing was.

I don't thinks so. 3S-GTE would be much better option for out and out performance, otherwise the 4Age - 16 valve. A lot more robust, not as fragile as the 20 valve motors.

I like your way of thinking. Old aquintance of mine fitted one to a Mini. What a riot that little thing was.

I don't thinks so. 3S-GTE would be much better option for out and out performance, otherwise the 4Age - 16 valve. A lot more robust, not as fragile as the 20 valve motors.

3SGE is a nice engine - we have one racing with us, but it is heavy and now out performed by the likes of the Ford Duratec motors. If you're going old school then there's little to beat the Opel 2 litres for out and out performance potential. Turbo engines are not suited to 7's - their power delivery isn't linear enough for a car that thrives on precision. Weight and heat dissapation are also a problem with these engines.

Our 20 valve motors are bought second hand and run for season after season with few problems. 16 valve engines have more tuning potential if you're going for really high revs and really high power but they're old and scarce now so the 20v makes more sense as a control engine.

And much easier / cheaper to work on as well! And yes - gixxer motor. Would have to set up a sequential box and a secondary reverse gear, but hey... battery powered motor on the rear wheels oughta do it.

3SGE is a nice engine - we have one racing with us, but it is heavy and now out performed by the likes of the Ford Duratec motors. If you're going old school then there's little to beat the Opel 2 litres for out and out performance potential. Turbo engines are not suited to 7's - their power delivery isn't linear enough for a car that thrives on precision. Weight and heat dissapation are also a problem with these engines.

Our 20 valve motors are bought second hand and run for season after season with few problems. 16 valve engines have more tuning potential if you're going for really high revs and really high power but they're old and scarce now so the 20v makes more sense as a control engine.

Or I could go and get an 8v / 16v GTI engine. Or a Nissan 2.0l

And much easier / cheaper to work on as well! And yes - gixxer motor. Would have to set up a sequential box and a secondary reverse gear, but hey... battery powered motor on the rear wheels oughta do it.

20v motor costs maybe R4k, Ford T9 or Toyota T50 'box similar amount. Fairly simple bolt into chassis and off you go. Do some research on the web -there is a lot of time, engineering and expense that goes into making bike engines work in a 7 and ultimately you might get less than you hoped for.

Or I could go and get an 8v / 16v GTI engine. Or a Nissan 2.0l

Gearbox is an issue on the Golf and somehow they just don't seem to perform in a 7. The Nissan SR20 is a great engine but VERY tall and heavy. The sumps scrapes the tar while the bonnet has to be raised to clear the cam cover. We have one racing with us but the track performance is modest at best.

Sorry to the OP - we've completely hijacked this thread!

Couldn't afford two cars so the S had to sit in traffic. As you say clutch heavy, but also not liking the heat and would bog, esp if the intake cover is off (useless ito performance but what a sound!) Even so, utterly reliable and huge fun.