Calling all the singlespeed manne

rouxtjie

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently built up a 29er single speed..

Trek Frame, XT Breaks, DMR Chain tensioner, XT Crank with with a gold dartmoor totem chainring ( 104 BCD) and Dartmoor chain (Single speed chain). the is a SA website: www.dial'dbikes.co.za. They have everything for your to be able to convert and they all in seriously funky colours.

OH and you never go back to geared.. I run a 18/32 ride 98 % of what's thrown at us in races, including the hill2 hill this last weekend in the wet and mud and while everyone else was having mechanicals the 2 single speed guys, no issues.

I just recently built up a 29er single speed..

Trek Frame, XT Breaks, DMR Chain tensioner, XT Crank with with a gold dartmoor totem chainring ( 104 BCD) and Dartmoor chain (Single speed chain). the is a SA website: www.dial'dbikes.co.za. They have everything for your to be able to convert and they all in seriously funky colours.

OH and you never go back to geared.. I run a 18/32 ride 98 % of what's thrown at us in races, including the hill2 hill this last weekend in the wet and mud and while everyone else was having mechanicals the 2 single speed guys, no issues.

Pics of the bike or it does not exist.

Spoke to Grant U while in an LBS a little while back and he said pretty much the same as for the SS champs at Thaba this year. 32x18 was his thoughts

What size wheels 26" or 29"?

Swift is on a 26"...think Grant was probably talking about a 29er

Was chatting with him in the Fratelli parking last weekend. Then I noticed he was on a geared bike... I mean this is 2 weeks before THE event... WTF???

:P

Don't worry after a few beers before the race coupled the hang over from the previous night and a few more beers during the race you could ride any gear you want, they will all feel like 54x11 or you will be leopard crawling anyway if you hang at the beer stop long enough :clap:

rouxtjie is correct 32x18 Grant was talking of his 29er bike. Did the SS champs at Thaba and it was more than good enough a gear.

Don't worry after a few beers before the race coupled the hang over from the previous night and a few more beers during the race you could ride any gear you want, they will all feel like 54x11 or you will be leopard crawling anyway if you hang at the beer stop long enough :clap:

rouxtjie is correct 32x18 Grant was talking of his 29er bike. Did the SS champs at Thaba and it was more than good enough a gear.

Then 32x16 should be ok for 26" :unsure:

@Slick did grant at least have a beer in hand?

Nope.

Although he was finishing a ride while we were just about to start one.

All depends on the amount of beers you have. I could have gone 32x16 at thaba. Even though it is a 26inch I doubt the difference when going up a hill in 29er or 26er is as much as changing from 32x18 vs 32x16 respectively, the difference comes on the flats, the 26er will need the 16 to keep up with the 29er woth an 18.

Just enjoy the vide and beer. remember at the SSWC you get 1st, 2nd and 3rd place everyone else after that comes 4th so no worries.

Thanks S01, I'm more concerned about running out of legs up the hills. Not going to race, as you said just to enjoy the vibe.

All depends on the amount of beers you have. I could have gone 32x16 at thaba. Even though it is a 26inch I doubt the difference when going up a hill in 29er or 26er is as much as changing from 32x18 vs 32x16 respectively, the difference comes on the flats, the 26er will need the 16 to keep up with the 29er woth an 18.

Just enjoy the vide and beer. remember at the SSWC you get 1st, 2nd and 3rd place everyone else after that comes 4th so no worries.

Gordon for El presidente