IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

I'm entered and ready (in my mind :whistling: ).

Did Bela Bela and Buffelspoort Xterra Lite this year. Damaged knee and flu hindered my 5i50 training, oh and maybe a few too many cigarettes (which have been kicked to touch even tho they were "social" items :blush: ).

My swim feels great, my bike is not bad and the run terrifies me.

My goal is just to finish before the gun goes off.

I have no issues with the swim, bikeleg or run individually. My problem is putting all three together on the same day. The swim and bike legs generally go ok. But that 21k afterwards is a killer for me. I can see myself doing a slow first 10k's then walking the last 10k's.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buccaneers - "the 4th discipline" :clap:

entered for 70.3 and full IM again..

let's hope the wind stays away - I had my quota at IM this year..

probably do midmar in oct and then buffelspoort next yr (before IM)

I have no issues with the swim, bikeleg or run individually. My problem is putting all three together on the same day. The swim and bike legs generally go ok. But that 21k afterwards is a killer for me. I can see myself doing a slow first 10k's then walking the last 10k's.

Been there and felt that....

What exactly happens that you feel you have to walk the last 10k?

Personaly i found nutrition to be critical, especialy the timing when u eat, dont wait until its to late. Obvisiouly you also need to pace yourself, dont try and race at a harder pace than what you are trained for.

Last year was my first and it was an awesome experience. I have entered for next year, but I have not started training yet due to the ITB release operation I had.

I can start cycling 3-5 km from tomorrow, increasing as the knee feels better. I need to see how that goes before starting to run. I am starting full swim training next week. So I plan to be training 100% by mid/end October. Its probably not ideal to start that late, but I am still hoping for a sub 6. If the recovery goes slower, then I will just go to finish.

@Seeker 911 and Garfield, I cannot agree more with you re the refs, most of them are on an ego trip and cannot tell true drafting from trying to pass in the masses. Got called for blocking this year on IMSA and when I told the guy he must open his eyes and see that the two guys in front of me were blocking me, he screamed that he'll Red Card me......so much for knowing the rules, if you look at overseas events and how the competitors are treated vs SA, our refs are not up to par and most of them cannot manage real problems like the IMBC 2012 Draftfest.

That being said I love the actual event/s and will be there and hope they can sort out the drafting.

Who on here is doing Midlands as warm up?

thinking about doing the short one - would be my first tri....

@Seeker 911 and Garfield, I cannot agree more with you re the refs, most of them are on an ego trip and cannot tell true drafting from trying to pass in the masses. Got called for blocking this year on IMSA and when I told the guy he must open his eyes and see that the two guys in front of me were blocking me, he screamed that he'll Red Card me......so much for knowing the rules, if you look at overseas events and how the competitors are treated vs SA, our refs are not up to par and most of them cannot manage real problems like the IMBC 2012 Draftfest.

That being said I love the actual event/s and will be there and hope they can sort out the drafting.

you are always going to be a target for the ref's with a name like Wheelsuck.... :ph34r:

Agreed, dont for 1 second think its gonna be easy, the wind does blow, the cycle is super tough, and Bunkers hill will bite you twice on the run. I think anyone who has done 70.3 or especially Ironman SA will agree Paul Kaye is not just "some guy". in PE he sits and shouts, screeams, motivates and cheers every single althlete non stop for 17 hours until the very last athlete has finished in wind rain hail.

Yes maybe having your name called is a little "ego trip" but he definately does add to the Vibe of the day. And at the end of your "first" Half ironman event maybe a ego bosst is what some first timers are wanting.

Again just my 2c worth, also with wetsuits the water is not That cold.

Once you have 1 of these under your belt, Yes go do all the others, Every Tri is a Great day out.

I know Paul and he is a legend. He also does a lot of the european races and he was there shouting my name in switzerland. I wish i had half that guys energy at my job

In 2011 one could grab a seat and relax in the transition tent. This year there wasn't space for all the people.

And the drafting on the bike was ridiculous ...

Swim faster and you wont have that problem

Been there and felt that....

What exactly happens that you feel you have to walk the last 10k?

Personaly i found nutrition to be critical, especialy the timing when u eat, dont wait until its to late. Obvisiouly you also need to pace yourself, dont try and race at a harder pace than what you are trained for.

Agree 100%. Even the fittest will have a long day if they bonk.

Swim faster and you wont have that problem

Haha, when I ran through the tent after I transitioned there were actually a number of seats open again.

Will the swim not start in smaller waves next year, which would probably space the bike out more to have less drafting. It would be my first time and I dread the swim, would four months be enough time to develop a proper swim technique.Major reason for doing this is to become confident in the sea, it is a challenge just to get through the waves and overcoming the fear of the depth and currents etc.

Copy and paste from the website , I assume this is the first year it would work like this, with 15 minute breaks between waves:

The race will now start in 6 waves - please check below section on "Summary of start and cut-off times" for details on cut-offs for each wave per discipline.

Please Note: These are preliminary start times and can be changed up until race briefing on Friday, 18 January 2013 at 18h00.

Wave 1: 06h45 - PRO Athletes

Wave 2: 07h00 - Age Group Men 18 - 29

Wave 3: 07h15 - Age Group Men 30 - 39

Wave 4: 07h30 - Age Group Men 40 - 54

Wave 5: 07h45 - Age Group Men 55+ & Age Group Ladies

Wave 6: 08h00 - Teams

The cut-off time for the swim is 1h10min from the wave start.

Copy and paste from the website , I assume this is the first year it would work like this, with 15 minute breaks between waves:

The race will now start in 6 waves - please check below section on "Summary of start and cut-off times" for details on cut-offs for each wave per discipline.

Please Note: These are preliminary start times and can be changed up until race briefing on Friday, 18 January 2013 at 18h00.

Wave 1: 06h45 - PRO Athletes

Wave 2: 07h00 - Age Group Men 18 - 29

Wave 3: 07h15 - Age Group Men 30 - 39

Wave 4: 07h30 - Age Group Men 40 - 54

Wave 5: 07h45 - Age Group Men 55+ & Age Group Ladies

Wave 6: 08h00 - Teams

The cut-off time for the swim is 1h10min from the wave start.

This year Wave 2 was Age Group Men 18 - 39 with a traffic jam at the first buoy.