IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

I only started swimming September last year. After only two lenghts in the pool I was exhausted. I am a terrible sinker and the wetsuit was my best investment. If you can, go to PE during December and swim in the sea to get familiar with the real thing and to build confidence.

I'll be in that part of the world in December / early Jan. Also Slummies. Are there organised sea swims or what's the story? i'd be a little nervous to just go do my own thing?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in that part of the world in December / early Jan. Also Slummies. Are there organised sea swims or what's the story? i'd be a little nervous to just go do my own thing?

4 or 4;30 every friday afternoon. Drop me a PM closer to the time and we can meet up for a goof in the sea

Will also be there for my first.

Training is sitting at about 11 hours a week, hoping to ramp it up to about 15 as I build.

At the moment my training looks as follows:

3 x swim (2.5km to 3km)

3 x run (8km to 15km)

3 x bike (2 x 50km, 1 x 90km)

I'm also hoping to do the full in April, so the 70.3 isn't my final goal.

In terms of costs, this has to be one of the most expensive things I've ever done. It's like doing 3 sports at once. At least I have most of the gear now, so hopefully it will get better from here on in.

4 or 4;30 every friday afternoon. Drop me a PM closer to the time and we can meet up for a goof in the sea

awesome! will definately do that.

I disagree, For your first Half Ironman go do the "real Mccoy", Nothing like the organisation and Vibe at the Official 70.3, The Red carpet and Paul Kaye calling you home.... As a First timer i would personally do the EL 70.3.

But I agree the Midmar, Buffelspoort etc etc are easier races and "alot" Cheaper entry fees

I guess Ferret -- it is lekker to get the whole vibe and all that. Maybe it depends on your level of racing as well. Remember East Londen is a very hard course for a 70.3 and the water is cold and the wind blows. This however also adds to finishing on the other hand so each to his own. Personally I dont get high from some guy shouting my name and all that. I just enjoy a lekker day out racing in the spirit of the event.

I just wish they would cap entries at like 2,000 or something.

I only started swimming September last year. After only two lenghts in the pool I was exhausted. I am a terrible sinker and the wetsuit was my best investment. If you can, go to PE during December and swim in the sea to get familiar with the real thing and to build confidence.

Thanks for the advice. I need to get to the ocean. My swimming is not terrible, it's just my technique that needs work.

The running is the scary part for me.

I've entered and I'm pretty excited! I've only done XTERRA Lite and Clanwilliam, so this is a big step up.

Cycling is fine, swimming is getting there, but with my body the run is still a problem area. Adjusting the diet to shed some weight which should help.

I guess Ferret -- it is lekker to get the whole vibe and all that. Maybe it depends on your level of racing as well. Remember East Londen is a very hard course for a 70.3 and the water is cold and the wind blows. This however also adds to finishing on the other hand so each to his own. Personally I dont get high from some guy shouting my name and all that. I just enjoy a lekker day out racing in the spirit of the event.

I just wish they would cap entries at like 2,000 or something.

Agreed, dont for 1 second think its gonna be easy, the wind does blow, the cycle is super tough, and Bunkers hill will bite you twice on the run. I think anyone who has done 70.3 or especially Ironman SA will agree Paul Kaye is not just "some guy". in PE he sits and shouts, screeams, motivates and cheers every single althlete non stop for 17 hours until the very last athlete has finished in wind rain hail.

Yes maybe having your name called is a little "ego trip" but he definately does add to the Vibe of the day. And at the end of your "first" Half ironman event maybe a ego bosst is what some first timers are wanting.

Again just my 2c worth, also with wetsuits the water is not That cold.

Once you have 1 of these under your belt, Yes go do all the others, Every Tri is a Great day out.

Again just my 2c worth, also with wetsuits the water is not That cold.

Without my wetsuit I'll be running on the bottom of the ocean and I want to save my legs for Bunkers Hill :ph34r:

+1 :clap:

In 2011 one could grab a seat and relax in the transition tent. This year there wasn't space for all the people.

And the drafting on the bike was ridiculous ...

Edited by Showtime

In 2011 one could grab a seat and relax in the transition tent. This year there wasn't space for all the people.

And the drafting on the bike was ridiculous ...

Oh my.......... is that what that old big tent was for? Unfortunately I never made it inside!!! :eek: I "transitioned" on a rock outside the tent

Oh my.......... is that what that old big tent was for? Unfortunately I never made it inside!!! :eek: I "transitioned" on a rock outside the tent

I transitioned under the Zimbabwean flag.

I'm entered and ready (in my mind :whistling: ).

Did Bela Bela and Buffelspoort Xterra Lite this year. Damaged knee and flu hindered my 5i50 training, oh and maybe a few too many cigarettes (which have been kicked to touch even tho they were "social" items :blush: ).

My swim feels great, my bike is not bad and the run terrifies me.

My goal is just to finish before the gun goes off.

Edited by Jigghead

I'm entered and ready (in my mind :whistling: ).

Did Bela Bela and Buffelspoort Xterra Lite this year. Damaged knee and flu hindered my 5i50 training, oh and maybe a few too many cigarettes (which have been kicked to touch even tho they were "social" items :blush: ).

My swim feels great, my bike is not bad and the run terrifies me.

My goal is just to finish before the gun goes off.

Well done for giving the kankerstokkies the boot.

Unless you are a super triathlete, the biggest mistake is to cycle as if you stole the bike. I have passed so many on the run who flew (read drafted) pass me on the bike. It's not much use if you can cycle 2hr30 but have nothing left in the legs to run. The time you lose walking outweighs the time saved by chasing the pros on the bike.

I set myself a realistic goal of 6hrs30. When I got off the bike I realised that if I could run a 1hr45 half marathon I could go sub 6hours and went hard on the first lap, but Bunkers Hill is energy sapping.