IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Who has time? Piss in your suit, it's what the pros do.

Haha, you'll be amazed to see how many stop next to the road or stand in the rows at T2 to get to the loo.

@Blinkfan, I am very happy with the 2XU tri pants. If it is your first time, make sure you get endurance tri pants and not the short distance tri pants.

Edited by Blindspot

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if you go there and enter, or if you enter at home, it will cost you R1725 either way :whistling:

Where do you live? Do you have a car? Do you have friends that are also doing the race?

I'm in Joburg. I was wondering about the equipment needed not the entry fee.

I don't have a wetsuit.

I don't have a tri-suit.

I have a road bike, do I need tri-bars?

Nutrition?

Anything else?

I'm in Joburg. I was wondering about the equipment needed not the entry fee.

I don't have a wetsuit.

I don't have a tri-suit.

I have a road bike, do I need tri-bars?

Nutrition?

Anything else?

A tri-suit you can get away without.

A wetsuit is pretty much a necessity. You'll be putting yourself at a big disadvantage if you don't get one. There are a multitude of brands available, but you're probably looking at about R2000 for a entry level wetsuit, maybe less if you manage to find one that fits you secondhand.

You don't need tri-bars, but they're the cheapest way of getting more aero on a road bike without buying a time trial bike. I can attest to their effectiveness, especially with the wind we have down here in Cape Town.

A tri-suit you can get away without.

A wetsuit is pretty much a necessity. You'll be putting yourself at a big disadvantage if you don't get one. There are a multitude of brands available, but you're probably looking at about R2000 for a entry level wetsuit, maybe less if you manage to find one that fits you secondhand.

You don't need tri-bars, but they're the cheapest way of getting more aero on a road bike without buying a time trial bike. I can attest to their effectiveness, especially with the wind we have down here in Cape Town.

Thanks for the pointers, it's cheaper than I thought. Just need to get training now.

Any pointers on clip on tri bars? Where and what to get, any things to avoid? approx price etc?

Any pointers on clip on tri bars? Where and what to get, any things to avoid? approx price etc?

I got clip-ons from Chain Reaction Cycles. I did a lot of reading and research, but my opinion is that in the end the main difference is in what you think looks pretty.

I got these: http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=26976 (Profile Design Carbon Stryke Aero Road Bars), but in retrospect I could probably have gotten a cheaper set.

If I was buying right now I'd probably just get these: http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=78776. They're on sale at the moment for less than R400, which I think is a pretty good deal.

Oh, editing to add this: if you want to be able to do a ITU triathlon, the type of tri- bars you're allowed to use is limited. Iron Man is not ITU, so the limitations don't apply.

Edited by sluiper

I got clip-ons from Chain Reaction Cycles. I did a lot of reading and research, but my opinion is that in the end the main difference is in what you think looks pretty.

I got these: http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=26976 (Profile Design Carbon Stryke Aero Road Bars), but in retrospect I could probably have gotten a cheaper set.

If I was buying right now I'd probably just get these: http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=78776. They're on sale at the moment for less than R400, which I think is a pretty good deal.

thanks will check it out!

Just make sure they have been put on your bike correctly, if not you can have an ugly little fall

Just make sure they have been put on your bike correctly, if not you can have an ugly little fall

Yea I see at chain reaction we have 2 different handlebar diameters.... :oops: so which one do I have.... Edited by dracs

Was going to ask what you chaps think oif these... but no stock

http://www.cwcycles....ica-due-tt-bars

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product-holder/product_images/deda_parobolicadue.jpg

Specifically designed for Triathletes.

• 7003 T6 alloy drawn aerobar; new design forged clamps.
    • PARABOLICA DUE is with two curves (“S” bend), offers several handle positions.
    • Clamp to fit 31,7 mm handlebar diameter.
    • max lenght 290 mm
    • Weight about 378 grams

Edited by dracs

Yea I see at chain reaction we have 2 different handlebar diameters.... :oops: so which one do I have....

If you get the bigger ones it wont be a problem as you can get some spacers to make them fit but first try see what diameter your bars are.

If you are going to put them on a road bike you need ones where you can adjust the position of the elbow / forearm supports backwards. If you want the pads positioned directly above the bar like a TT bike you need the seat tube angle of a TT bike to get yourself that far forward.

Looking at the Vision clip-ons posted above I cannot see that adjustment. The Profile Design T2+ for example allows you to make that adjustment.

If you are going to put them on a road bike you need ones where you can adjust the position of the elbow / forearm supports backwards. If you want the pads positioned directly above the bar like a TT bike you need the seat tube angle of a TT bike to get yourself that far forward.

Looking at the Vision clip-ons posted above I cannot see that adjustment. The Profile Design T2+ for example allows you to make that adjustment.

Thanks - yep that makes sense - was wondering about that cos if pads are over the bar on my road bike on my current setup I would be stretched out well beyond what I could comfortably manage for 3 hours +

flip a layback seatpost and bingo, a more forward position on the bike

Thanks - yep that makes sense - was wondering about that cos if pads are over the bar on my road bike on my current setup I would be stretched out well beyond what I could comfortably manage for 3 hours +

You can get a set-forward seat post to emulate the seat post angle of a TT bike but from what I have read it will leave the bike twitchy with all the weight on the front wheel. TT bikes are designed to have a stable centre of gravity in that position.

For us part timers the clip on bars where you can adjust the pads back are allot more comfortable than sitting in the drops for the entire 45km downhill back into East London.

One last thing. I have a set of draft legal bars I bought because they look cooler on the road bike. I wouldn't advise you to go that route as you are leaning on your wrists and it's not as comfortable as full size ones.