[Event] Race The Rhino At Van Gaalens On Rhino Day!

Darling Brew Extreme MTB

Good ride. I eventually learned to shift my body weight for the cattle bridges after I took the same one three times to get it right. :blush:

Took a tumble into a river. Got wet good and proper, but I'm not hurt too bad. After a while I got the message: when you build up speed, there's guaranteed a hard corner and a river crossing :whistling:

Some of the route markings were a bit late or hidden. Cruise past, and then go: "Wait! I had to turn left there???" and gooi ankers. One guy ended up on the wrong side of a fence -- dunno how. I've seen worse markings, though.

My chain sounds like a gravel sack now. :cursing:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the weather really played along well all thunder untill 5 minutes before the race it stopped and was gone. Lots of mud what MTB is all about

the markings could have been a little better specially if its a long downhille and a sudden turn just close the road ahead with a ribbon or something visual .Flip when your flying down a hill you dont want to stop or turn

great fun loved it though

also loved the race! Does anybody know what the winning time was for the 50km?

the new section at "Oom Piet" had a few surprises in store going down! Did anybody see that little 14 year old kid (Yellow&blue kit) who finished 8th or 9th or something :eek: came past me on the single track with some serious speed :oops: think i need some training wheels!

I rode, had an awesome ride and enjoyed the wine, beer and cheese afterwards too. Van Gaalen never disappoints.

also loved the race! Does anybody know what the winning time was for the 50km?

the new section at "Oom Piet" had a few surprises in store going down! Did anybody see that little 14 year old kid (Yellow&blue kit) who finished 8th or 9th or something :eek: came past me on the single track with some serious speed :oops: think i need some training wheels!

Yes, the winning time was about 1:58, second position was about 2:04. I couldn't believe the time gap.

I know this cuz I was the one walking backwards at the 10 km mark with the broken derailleur hangar, so I was walked the 5km back to the start line :cursing:

Where can we get the results of the race?

David,

I will be posting the results at Cyclesport.co.za later this morning.

will also attach file here.

Glad you all enjoyed the race

Cheers

Clive

Hope the experience made her stronger! Those cattle grate bridges are a good exercise in commitment. Tubes or tubeless?

Ja, she's fine. Hates the look of the bruises though! She had to get antibiotics cos her leg wound from the cattle bridge started to get nasty.

We ride with toobs in our wheels - new bikes with tubeless wheels are on the horizon though. The slime did work though and just needed reinflation....

Now to mentally prepare for the main event: SSWC2012!!!!

Don't say that???

No, old wive's tale. I've had it a few times, it (and malaria) does not "return"

But it is a bitch though :) Drink LOTS of water, it helps!