Carbon Frames from China, would you buy one?

Imploder

Carbon Frames from China, would you buy one?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider buying a "Blank" carbon frame imported from China?

• No
    • Yes
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If you chose no to Question 1, what is your reason/s?

• Communication, language barrier is a problem
    • Safety, their goods are untested and don't adhere to any safety standards
    • Prestige, I wouldn't be seen dead on a unbranded carbon bike.
    • Warranty, Is there one?
  3. 3. If you chose yes to Question 1, what would you pay for a "Blank" sub-1.5kg (fork + frame) carbon frame (Road) imported from China?

• R5000 - R6000
    • R6000 - R7000
    • R7000 - R8000

What will Giant and Momsen help, you now replying like the chineese my friend, see what I'm looking for 27.5 FS see the FS... not HT...

G

Jeez bud just trying to help out - go do your own research if my answer is Chinese to you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the OP's first question........Are you wanting to make a business or a little pocket money by importing and re-selling them?

Plenty of Hubbers have already tried it and have had limited success. Some have put their own branding on, others have sold them as is.

Sorry sometime, but I've been sending countless emails to the Chinese people now, every time asking for a 27.5 FS, and they all coming back, all excited, pushing their 27.5 HT or 29'ers.

I know Momsen and a couple of others have HT's, I'm looking at maybe doing a FS. so far only seen Ghost, Scott and Cube with FS models.

G

Jeez bud just trying to help out - go do your own research if my answer is Chinese to you.

Sorry sometime, but I've been sending countless emails to the Chinese people now, every time asking for a 27.5 FS, and they all coming back, all excited, pushing their 27.5 HT or 29'ers.

I know Momsen and a couple of others have HT's, I'm looking at maybe doing a FS. so far only seen Ghost, Scott and Cube with FS models.

G

The research i have done. I havent see a F/S blank frame in a 27.5. Looks like they only going the H/T route. If that helps.

matches what I've been getting back from the responses from china.

G

The research i have done. I havent see a F/S blank frame in a 27.5. Looks like they only going the H/T route. If that helps.

I have just bought one of these frames building it as we speak. Weight came in at 1150g for a 12K weave 26er. Seat post came in at 200g for a 300mm long post in 3K weave. Yes you can buy junk but the same time you can be buying the same quality as the top brand bikes and in all probability this no name brand could be coming out the same factory. The same QC check as any other frame. Yes you could have a problem with the warranty but we have also heard stories that some guys can’t get the warranty sorted out from the top brands as well. So the end of the day each to their own. Me I am not worried about a name brand. I can buy 3 frame and still have some change.

So what frame is it a 'blank' of? and are you sure the QC is the same? You use the term "in all probability", so it sounds like you don't know what QC you are even comparing with. That's not enough for me, like you said each to their own. For me its not about the brand name at all. I would ride an unbranded frame if it came from the registered company, at least I would be sure of the product instead of guessing.

How much was it out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing?

You sound like weight is a concern for you.... KCNC ti pro light... 119g (and aluminium :ph34r: )

Agreed but the big difference is you get local support for each of those brands. Import a blank frame yourself directly from whoever at a discount and then good luck trying to satisfactorily resolve any quality/warranty/longevity issues with the manufacturer in China. If you have no problems with the bike then great - if not then I'm afraid your discount to a locally supported brand disappears immediately and you're now paying to ship your frame back to China to TRY claim the warranty ( get it repaired/replaced/upgraded). That will take weeks nevermind the logistical & language issues. Me I'll pay the premium thank you.

Lol , you'll probably have the same wait with a warranty claim on a locally bought major brand bike frame - see some other threads with people complaining about their 8-24 week wait for claims to be settled locally. You pay the premium and wait the time.

If you buy direct from the chinese I have found them to be excellent about warranty claims , pretty much no quibble.

Oh dear more assumptions. A Chinese blank does not necessarily cost 20% of a local frame.A Giant XTC 29 aluminium frame weighs as little as 90% of these Chinese carbon blanks and cost around R3 000 - 50% of your "cheap" Chinese frame.A Giant XTC 29 carbon frame weighs a lot less than 90% of these Chinese carbon frames and costs around R9 000 - 33% more than your "cheap" Chinese frame.And here's the thing - both frames have lifetime warranties and if something goes wrong they will replace your frame within days.
Frame replaced within days , are you the Giant rep??Cause that's the only guy that will blow smoke up your ass to that degree!!Hehehe Edited by Skylark

Lol , you'll probably have the same wait with a warranty claim on a locally bought major brand bike frame - see some other threads with people complaining about their 8-24 week wait for claims to be settled locally. You pay the premium and wait the time.

If you buy direct from the chinese I have found them to be excellent about warranty claims , pretty much no quibble.

Care to give us some detail of when and what you've claimed on?

Frame replaced within days , are you the Giant rep??Cause that's the only guy that will blow smoke up your ass to that degree!!Hehehe

You're too funny.

I broke a Giant frame after 3 years of racing it and I had a new upgraded version sent to Jozi, from CT within 3 days. Do a search on this here Hub and you'll find others with exactly the same experience.

You're too funny.

I broke a Giant frame after 3 years of racing it and I had a new upgraded version sent to Jozi, from CT within 3 days. Do a search on this here Hub and you'll find others with exactly the same experience.

Oh ok that sounds like the turnaround time for every single giant frame warranty claim from any bike in the entire range is just 3 days (let's be conservative and make it 5 days) , this is amazing!!!

Ok guys you heard it all from Sometime - to prove his theories correct you may only buy Giant frames from now on becuase with pretty much any other brand you going to be waiting weeks or months and that will make his theory fall flat on its face.

No more Scott's , Specialized etc - you get the general idea

Care to give us some detail of when and what you've claimed on?

Are you interested in buying Chinese now?

Have you done an about turn on this whole "Chinese only make good when big boss Brand name overlord is watching" ?

Big brand name only means you may have some end user support from a supplier who may or may not be helpful if at all.

Big brand names still lump consumers with many expensive lemons

Big brand names still often sell useles crap sh1te and they don't do refunds by the time you realize you got had :P

Sean

Please tell more more about the weave counts you are referring to, know what you mean, but whats the standards on vendor supplied bikes.

G

I have just bought one of these frames building it as we speak. Weight came in at 1150g for a 12K weave 26er. Seat post came in at 200g for a 300mm long post in 3K weave. Yes you can buy junk but the same time you can be buying the same quality as the top brand bikes and in all probability this no name brand could be coming out the same factory. The same QC check as any other frame. Yes you could have a problem with the warranty but we have also heard stories that some guys can’t get the warranty sorted out from the top brands as well. So the end of the day each to their own. Me I am not worried about a name brand. I can buy 3 frame and still have some change.

Id buy some Carbon 26" rims from China,who cares if they last a year. They are also about a 3rd of the price locally,These chinese guys are sneaky I have had some say they will underquote on the invoice for customs,or mark the package at the gift.

I imported one, branded it Fong Kong as a joke.

A little worried going 70km per hour on it though

Ah man that is soo classic!!

Do you reckon the frame would be able to have a catasrophic failure that would be enough to make you do a full speed forced dis-mount?

What would need to break in that instance to cause that , like a stay or fork arm?

Edited by Skylark