Carbon Frames from China, would you buy one?

Imploder

Carbon Frames from China, would you buy one?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider buying a "Blank" carbon frame imported from China?

• No
    • Yes
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If you chose no to Question 1, what is your reason/s?

• Communication, language barrier is a problem
    • Safety, their goods are untested and don't adhere to any safety standards
    • Prestige, I wouldn't be seen dead on a unbranded carbon bike.
    • Warranty, Is there one?
  3. 3. If you chose yes to Question 1, what would you pay for a "Blank" sub-1.5kg (fork + frame) carbon frame (Road) imported from China?

• R5000 - R6000
    • R6000 - R7000
    • R7000 - R8000

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Black spade, Volcan, rapide, tank, musso.........................

Momsen ........... ect . we have loads of them already .

from good to great to realy crap .

Even Cannondale's come from china .

Had a Volcan XC-29, drove it into a garage, cracked the frame so had a good chance to look at the frame....really nt a bad quality bike. Most bikes are in any case Chinese or Taiwanese.

i have three buddies that bought them each one. collectively they paid less than i paid for my 2nd hand Bianchi frame. their bikes looks damn good. they had no issues thus far

My issue is not so much the quality in itself, but the consistent application of quality control. And then obviously what happens if you get the one bad one that was build by someone just starting out on the factory floor. This is where branded frames, even if they do originate from China in any case have their value since you can string the 'brand' up by their necks if you have a failure under warrantee. And no brand is going to supply carbon frames with no warrantee since their brand will be a stillborn.

just find the right guy, if you get lucky you can get an OM big brand bike, (quality, weight wise), without the spray job at a fraction of the price.

I have had one now for almost 2 years. I have tried to break it, I ride it everyday as a training bike. I cant break it.

I have a CKT 369 road bike for almost 3 years now. I like it much more than the specialized tarmac pro i had before it. I will probably try something different soon

just find the right guy, if you get lucky you can get an OM big brand bike, (quality, weight wise), without the spray job at a fraction of the price.

So, who is the "right" guy?

Try hong fu, deng fu or gotobike. There are also a few others, but do research on roadbikereview, they have a lot on the topic.

Edited by JA-Q001

Momsen ........... ect . we have loads of them already .

from good to great to realy crap .

Even Cannondale's come from china .

Agreed but the big difference is you get local support for each of those brands. Import a blank frame yourself directly from whoever at a discount and then good luck trying to satisfactorily resolve any quality/warranty/longevity issues with the manufacturer in China. If you have no problems with the bike then great - if not then I'm afraid your discount to a locally supported brand disappears immediately and you're now paying to ship your frame back to China to TRY claim the warranty ( get it repaired/replaced/upgraded). That will take weeks nevermind the logistical & language issues. Me I'll pay the premium thank you.

bought a road frame from dengfu and most recently a 29er frame off ebay at a ridiculously good price...