Carbon Frames from China, would you buy one?

Imploder

Carbon Frames from China, would you buy one?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider buying a "Blank" carbon frame imported from China?

• No
    • Yes
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If you chose no to Question 1, what is your reason/s?

• Communication, language barrier is a problem
    • Safety, their goods are untested and don't adhere to any safety standards
    • Prestige, I wouldn't be seen dead on a unbranded carbon bike.
    • Warranty, Is there one?
  3. 3. If you chose yes to Question 1, what would you pay for a "Blank" sub-1.5kg (fork + frame) carbon frame (Road) imported from China?

• R5000 - R6000
    • R6000 - R7000
    • R7000 - R8000

Can't you ask these guys to see the test certificates and the photos of the frame on the machine, surely they will have the test reports.

If they can produce such reports I would buy one.

@the guys who have imported frames, seatposts and forks how much did it come up to, how much was shipping costs and how much was duties?

I would like to build up a bike for around 6.5 - 7k final build price.

I wouldn't mind a alu frame so that I can up the components.

I would prefer an unbranded mid level bike as opposed to an branded entry level bike

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a site, carbon29er.com that has built up bikes and frames in stock, I got the 29er dual suspension with XT and Arch EX from them. The total weight is 11.4kg for my medium. Been riding it for 3 months now, the only hassle I've had is people stopping me on the trails to ask what I'm riding and where I got it.

I decided to spend my money on components, not dealer margin, brand name and marketing budgets.

Spoke to them during the week about a road bike, they told me they've just built up a road bike at 6.7kg for an extra large. I think that's amazing at the price.

"Several eastern companies offer unbranded frames, many at too-good-to-be-true prices. While it's sometimes true that these are often 'made in the same factory as a Wilier', the quality may be vastly different. Essentially, without a trusted brand's strict lay-up procedures and quality control, it's a lottery. There are several frames available that look almost identical to Pinarello Dogma, for instance. However, each is likely to be completely different under the finishing layer of carbon and paint. We've seen frames that on the outside looked rather like the front end of a Cube, and the rear of a Scott, but on the inside showed sure signs that cheaper fibreglass had been used in the construction in place of carbon fibre. Many hope to get lucky and find an over-order of a well-regarded Swiss, British or Italian brand, but don't count on it. Besides, is it really worth the risk?"

Quoted from Bicycling magazine, Nov '2012.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a site, carbon29er.com that has built up bikes and frames in stock, I got the 29er dual suspension with XT and Arch EX from them. The total weight is 11.4kg for my medium. Been riding it for 3 months now, the only hassle I've had is people stopping me on the trails to ask what I'm riding and where I got it.

I decided to spend my money on components, not dealer margin, brand name and marketing budgets.

Spoke to them during the week about a road bike, they told me they've just built up a road bike at 6.7kg for an extra large. I think that's amazing at the price.

Post a pic for us