Hill2Hill. Who's in?

Benjamin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the results there were 926 Entrants & 405 Finishes with 16 race withdrawals so if my maths is any good that makes only 421 starters.

Sadly I wasn't among them. Bailed at 3:30 Sunday AM when we woke up to still raining. Sorry now that I didn't ride. Respect to those who did.

It was a long day out on the bike yesterday. At midnight on Saturday night I was still unsure I would be riding, and leaning towards not .. When my alarm went off 3 and a half hours later, I still wasn't convinced .. Went up to Hilton anyway, in the drizzle. Wasn't raining at the start, so what the hell, we here anyway let's ride .. faaaark, it was a long day out on the bike. My fun dial hovered around zero for most of the day .. The last 10 Kay's into Shongweni made up for it though.

It was an epic ride for sure !!

Sounds like the full marathon guys had it easy yesterday! Did the halvie on Saturday, I didn't even get 20km in when the mud had worn straight through my brake pads and into the metal! Had my brakes binding full time but not working at all when I tried to use them! So I spent my hill to hill with my calipers cable tied to the frame so I could atleast ride the ups and flats followed by jogging the down hills! Even tho I couldn't enjoy all the sloshy awesome single track descents it was a good day out with some character building moments!

It was an AWESOME day!!! The mud was hectic, the banter on the trails was great fun and the PYGA went like a machine!!

those that missed 2012 Hill2hill, sorry for you.

those that started well done, those that finshed - WELL DONE - Respect...

post-16965-0-03112200-1347867004.jpg

post-16965-0-70014900-1347867073.jpg

Sounds like the full marathon guys had it easy yesterday! Did the halvie on Saturday, I didn't even get 20km in when the mud had worn straight through my brake pads and into the metal! Had my brakes binding full time but not working at all when I tried to use them! So I spent my hill to hill with my calipers cable tied to the frame so I could atleast ride the ups and flats followed by jogging the down hills! Even tho I couldn't enjoy all the sloshy awesome single track descents it was a good day out with some character building moments!

Could your brake pads have been pretty much worn out before you started ?

Burry did ride Saterday and Sunday, sunday he rode with Cherise had a chill day I heard it was his birthday.

The 100k was hectic plenty of slip and slide but a good day out besides the racing snakes most of the riders seemed chilled they knew with all the mud there would be few PB's so most seemed to be out just to ride and finish, it made for a very sociable ride no pressure from riders to pass or any of that and riders were happy to wait and ride in their slot on the single track as it was slippery and mud everywhere you couldnt push too hard as you werent too sure what the next corner or drop off had in store for you so caution was definitely the word for the day. a fair percentage of the course has 100mm of mud on it but we got used to riding in it and settled down to sometimes having your bike decide which line you would ride and sometimes you controlled it. It was a good fun day the water and support stations did a magnificent job and helped wash down gears etc whenever possible. They support guys on their motorbikes assisting the medics also a very good job done there, it was comforting to see them always willing to help and if they heard someone had falled hard they immediately went to look for them as the medics couldnt get into many sections of the course. When you see a 4wd bakkie at full rev sliding backwards down mikes climb you know it is slippery. A great ride and I enjoyed it even though it was hard work.

The Saterday 45k riders had a rough ride drenched from start to finish brake failure was common 3 of the 5 guys we supported needed new brake pads today well done to all those who rode and finished.

Edited by Dustbug

I rode. It was awesome and tough but isn't that the whole challenge ?

Bike was often slipping and sliding sideways, mainly when the rear gave way and I almost lost it completely in a couple places. Found the best ways to ride some of the muddy downs was to stick the front wheel into a rut, take one foot out of the cleat and hope for the best...seemed to work quite well, and who ever thought that the bumby grass to the side of the track would be a preferable ride (traction) than the track.

At least it didn't rain during the ride and the bonus is that I managed to be over an hour quicker than in last years heat (albeit on a 29'er this year) :thumbup:

Thanks for the report Dustbug. i was really beating myself up yesterday about pulling out due to weather... walked around kicking the dog and wife all day!! But after reading your report, im glad i wasn there!!!

It was Burry`s birthday yesterday and he rode in his board shorts and t-shirt, he had a nice chilled social ride and was full of smiles at the finish.......BTW.....Cherise was in long before him,

Could your brake pads have been pretty much worn out before you started ?

Nope, almost new pads with no more than 150km on them! 5 out of the 5 of us in our group had no brakes before the 20km mark.

Bike was often slipping and sliding sideways,

Yeah .. Almost caused some anal leakage a few times for me .. :)

Nope, almost new pads with no more than 150km on them! 5 out of the 5 of us in our group had no brakes before the 20km mark.

that would have made the descent from Barletts and into the ARC interesting.