Camelbak storage vs bike storage pro's / cons

Afriman

It would be great if I could get some views on whether it would be better to pack your bike with extra weight rather than having the extra weight on your back when riding long technical off-road rides?

To me it seems as if my control improves and energy consumption reduces with more bike weight (same weight overall).

Any views?

It should, as the center of gravity moves lower. It depends on the amount of weight though. It could also be that you feel more liberated by not carrying extra weight on your shoulders.

If you are already tall it will add 3kg to the wrong side of your CG andyou will find it even more difficult to handle your bike

I have bombs, pump, cable-ties, bomb adapter thing, hand-pump, masking tape, tubeless and tube repair kits, spare tube, cell phone, car keys and 2l water in my pack and I honestly can't say that it affects my riding in a negative or positive way. Maybe it helps with wheelies?

I think my bag was too heavy at Rietvlei causing my unexpected and violating impact with the saddle on Saturday. :clap:

Back to the topic at hand. I prefer to carry the weight on my back instead of my bike. Your COG can be better controlled when you carry the weight. If its on the bike it tends to make the bike unstable.

It's a very personal choice - no right answer.

Personally I don't like having things dangling from my bike - I like to keep it 'clean'. Advantage of having a backpack is that your kit, drink & food tends to stay mud-free. And extra protection for your back in a fall :)

I've been riding with all types of backpacks & drinking systems for 20 years and when I'm riding I completely forget it's there. But that's just me. Others feel weighed down and restricted and don't like them - that's cool too.

You will have a system that's comfortable and works for you, go with that.

I think my bag was too heavy at Rietvlei causing my unexpected and violating impact with the saddle on Saturday. :clap:

Back to the topic at hand. I prefer to carry the weight on my back instead of my bike. Your COG can be better controlled when you carry the weight. If its on the bike it tends to make the bike unstable.

Hahahaha! Dude dit het moer seer gelyk!

I am confused. How many tools do you carry that you can feel the weight shift from your back to the bike ?

If you are talking about water weight, then you are comparing two water bottles (750ml x 2) with 2000ml on your back ?

Oh, and I am too much of a newbie rider to notice the difference.

I am confused. How many tools do you carry that you can feel the weight shift from your back to the bike ?

If you are talking about water weight, then you are comparing two water bottles (750ml x 2) with 2000ml on your back ?

Oh, and I am too much of a newbie rider to notice the difference.

Slowbee you can't still be a noobie. Edited by Caerus

The backsaving thing is true (personal experiences lol) plus I prefer to carry in CB than in pockets. Also keeps the water colder, andngives me a place to strap the elbow / knee pads on to fr the way down.

The pro's tend to pack the weight on the bike. It seems like weight on the bike for lighter riders is less of an issue as weight on the body. They'll be conservative with tyre choice and still win the Epic, but they are very selective in carrying spares. They split almost everything. I'm no pro but personally feel better without 1.5kg sloshing on my back when I take a tight turn.

When racing I like bottles because I know exactly how much is left after every sip. Filling up takes about 30 seconds for 2 bottles so I wont loose the bunch when we all pull into a water point for a splash and dash. I only use my camelback these days in extreme conditions like Attakwas. I use it in Summer on long training rides as well.

I use the camelback podium chill bottles and my drinks are kept chilled for as long as in my camelback, so I've worked out a solution to keep my drinks cooler. I can also alternate water and race fuel (2 seperate bottles) to regulate my carb intake

I also don't like the after-taste when you put race fuel in the camelback bladder.

For me its horses for courses out there

I have bombs, pump, cable-ties, bomb adapter thing, hand-pump, masking tape, tubeless and tube repair kits, spare tube, cell phone, car keys and 2l water in my pack and I honestly can't say that it affects my riding in a negative or positive way. Maybe it helps with wheelies?

Great answer!!!!!!

Aftertaste in a Camelbak? Miltons, soap, water, hang to dry? If you've ever been over the bars with a Camelbak, you'd appreciate the cushioning effect. Not having that sweet taste of sewerage on a bottle also helps...