Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

I don't even go to the outhouse without my tip-ha. I used to buy myself a Joseph Rogers when I was a kid. Always went missing or got stolen.

post-3902-0-14487700-1347970072.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what you want when you're tangled in the rigging under an upturned boat!

Doesn't work well for biltong though, tends to go through your finger as well. :huh:

Daai's 'n saag nie 'n mes nie!

Sharp Edge was open today...and I walked out with this :ph34r:

:thumbup: My first Spyderco also was a Dragonfly.

... they will get bigger from here

Thanks guys. At least I've scratched the itch. So, I should be good for a lil while...

Make a pen nib with your penknife. Use bamboo for big nibs, a feather (preferably Turkey) for normal writing. Slice down the back portion to leave a nib shape. Press flat on the desk, and cut an appropriate angle (about 35 degrees) for your writing style. Press penknife in the middle so the nib splits - not too far. Dip in ink and practise your calligraphy.

Today's useless bit of Hub information.

This is my baby...bought it in 1998 in Hilo Hawaii from an old Japanese man in a corner store.....before the days of airline restrictions...

still want to engrave my personal details on it...just never get around to it!!

post-5709-0-03107500-1347992390.jpg

This is my baby...bought it in 1998 in Hilo Hawaii from an old Japanese man in a corner store.....before the days of airline restrictions...

Very nice Cassie! Doesn't matter how much that cost, it would be a bargain of note! Even though I can't imagine it costing much from a Jap corner store :whistling:

post-5709-0-03107500-1347992390.jpg

Nice....looks like a Byrd range.

Nice....looks like a Byrd range.

Byrd's more of a teardrop, isn't it?

This thread reminded me of a knife I bought new on a whim as a kid. Buggered around with it for a while and when met my future wife she insisted it get put away, so it's been in a drawer for 30 plus years. Went to the Puma site to get date of manufacture: 1973. The sheath was custom made by ?Sharp Edge (they were in the underground section of the Carlton Centre).

post-3498-0-43161500-1348046579_thumb.jpg

I had a lovely Kershaw that my girlfriend who later became my wife bought for me back then .... I lost the damned thing when we moved in together and I still miss that knife.

Currently have a rather old, but very functional single bladed Victorinox that I belonged to my grandfather.

There are really some lovely knives in this thread.

This thread reminded me of a knife I bought new on a whim as a kid. Buggered around with it for a while and when met my future wife she insisted it get put away, so it's been in a drawer for 30 plus years. Went to the Puma site to get date of manufacture: 1973. The sheath was custom made by ?Sharp Edge (they were in the underground section of the Carlton Centre).

Jeez you are going back now.Used to hang around that shop.Those were the days of the CBD.Squash,movies,music,food

They moved to Sandton City.In the 80's bought all my ammo from them as well as a blade or two.Stan the Man!

Edited by Kranswurm

I had a lovely Kershaw that my girlfriend who later became my wife bought for me back then .... I lost the damned thing when we moved in together and I still miss that knife.

Currently have a rather old, but very functional single bladed Victorinox that I belonged to my grandfather.

There are really some lovely knives in this thread.

I bought a mini cross bow and ninja stars from them when I was a kid.

Something a bit less serious then. thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif

Who still carries and uses old time pocket knives ?.

One of these three are always in my pocket. biggrin.png

I have a Spyderco (60mm blade) folding knife attached to my car keys. Its quite unbelievable how useful this little knife is.

in that case we all had knock offs.

I remember that the right knife was HUGELY important to a scout. Of course we all had a swiss army knife of sorts that you would have at the end of your lanyard. The amount of tools on the thing did get a bit ridiculous, the more the better thinking kind of ended with the models that collapsed in two parts as cutlery.

BUT the reason why I remember the bronze and wood ones was because they just had better blades than the swiss army knives, maybe that was just a fallacy in our troop. Our scoutmaster had a massive knife collection that he would bring in about once a year and go through piece by piece. It left an impression on me, especially the safety aspect which is clearly important for 14 years olds.

What has got me thinking in this thread, is WTF do you guys do that you use a knife everyday? Are there a lot of lumberjacks on the hub, or do you need it in your day to day office job? I have enough *** already in my pockets, and sure as hell don't want to justify one more(but I'm open to ideas - the leatherman only really comes camping).

Knock-off or not...they were bulletproof, and the blade was very good. I had a few as a teenager, and always lost them. Never got the privilege of one breaking, even after trying to use it as a throwing knife :thumbup: