are expensive parts making us soft

Stretch

ok - here is some feedback from a mate who did the hill2hill this weekend. His drivetrain needed to be replaced so he went for it anyway

"Mt bb is stuffed and linkage bearings. Got so caked up in my rear wheels that the tyre couldn't turn and started pushing the the front deraileur out of line"

go for him and all the others for doing it, but certainly doesn't sound like much fun to me.....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok - here is some feedback from a mate who did the hill2hill this weekend. His drivetrain needed to be replaced so he went for it anyway

"Mt bb is stuffed and linkage bearings. Got so caked up in my rear wheels that the tyre couldn't turn and started pushing the the front deraileur out of line"

go for him and all the others for doing it, but certainly doesn't sound like much fun to me.....

Why did he take a bike with gears and poor wheel clearance?

Is riding in the wet not about prep, I lived in germany for a while, if we decided we didnt ride mud, you would have 10 to 15 mtb rides a year. Some well placed duct tape is a great start.

The trends are very different regarding bike setup here, we do run taller and wider tyres in general, and that makes a mess of the the rear of the bike in slop. The lack of clearance really cakes the drive, this is where 1 x drive trains are going to be very strong.

Edited by kennyg

Why did he take a bike with gears and poor wheel clearance?

not everyone has the luxury of multiple bikes to choose from i guess......i hope that was sarcastic

Genugtig ,is this thread for real.

Then also us Gangsters Paradise dudes get accused of riding district roads.

I recall doing the Notties to Himeville which was a lot of road, and the okes couldn't stop bitchin about how bumpy it was and how "technical" the first 15 k's was.

When I started mtbiking we used to ride in all conditions regardless of the weather. With the dreadful weather in kzn I have seen a lot of people pulling out of the hill2hill (myself probably included) due to the concern of having to replace our drivetrains due to mud damage...the cost the overriding factor.

Before this was not an issue because the costs were not such a factor. So it's not about the rain and the mud but more about the wallet that is making us "soft".....

haha, I am sure its no so much parts, but rather common sense and fairweather riding that keeps the KZN guys in bed warm under the duvet. Had the same a few years ago when I missioned down to do the HILL2HILL, if you have travelled, paid for accoms, invariably you will do it rather than sit it out, same for windy Argus races.

I trashed my drivetrain during three mudfests and in hindsight they were not fun, enjoyable days out on my bike.

As I am meant to be a "fun" rider I now avoid races that have a history of being mud wrestling events.

Back to the cost and affordability issue...

Yes, I can definitely afford my 2x bikes,

one Niner Air carbon SS

other Niner RIP9, full XX.

BUT, what I cannot afford is the following:

A nice summer ride (or two) in the rain, and then:

R2400 XX cassette

R420 SRAM 10 spd chain

Than after another summer rain ride (or two):

R2000 for the XX chainrings.

That will bring the cost to R4820 on drivetrain maintenance in a couple of months...

Well, maybe Bill Gates won't feel that, but I am DAMN SURE that 99.9999% of the Hubbers here in SA will.

Nuff Said!!!

stop moaning and try maintaining a DH bike. On average the parts are more expensive with more frequent service intervals, and they get subjected to harsher terrains and conditions.

no wonder a lot of insurers wont cover them comprehensively :lol:

Back to the cost and affordability issue...

Yes, I can definitely afford my 2x bikes,

one Niner Air carbon SS

other Niner RIP9, full XX.

BUT, what I cannot afford is the following:

A nice summer ride (or two) in the rain, and then:

R2400 XX cassette

R420 SRAM 10 spd chain

Than after another summer rain ride (or two):

R2000 for the XX chainrings.

That will bring the cost to R4820 on drivetrain maintenance in a couple of months...

Well, maybe Bill Gates won't feel that, but I am DAMN SURE that 99.9999% of the Hubbers here in SA will.

Nuff Said!!!

downgrade your cassette to something cheaper. I've got campy record on my road bike, but i refuse to pay R2500 for a cassette, so I put a ultegra casette on my powertap wheel, and a centaur cassette on my other wheel. ~r950 each. I promise you I can't tell the difference

I agree in not trashing your drivetrain in training, thats what IDT, Road bikes, spinning classes and tantric stuff is for.

But in racing if the conditions are rubbish, just tough it out and, a good wet weather lube, reapplied a few times and the odd clean off in a river will save the drivetrain, I have done plenty of long distance stuff, like Baviaans to know how to save a cluster, you just need to know how to manage your equipment.

That being said, I have XT shifters and deraileurs but use mid range chains and sprokets (normally buy them in batches from CWC / Chain reaction to save a bit of cash and install them myself)

stop moaning and try maintaining a DH bike. On average the parts are more expensive with more frequent service intervals, and they get subjected to harsher terrains and conditions.

no wonder a lot of insurers wont cover them comprehensively :lol:

ja but you okes already have a few screw loose anyway :whistling:

downgrade your cassette to something cheaper. I've got campy record on my road bike, but i refuse to pay R2500 for a cassette, so I put a ultegra casette on my powertap wheel, and a centaur cassette on my other wheel. ~r950 each. I promise you I can't tell the difference

+1

when it comes to cassettes and chains I don't go big spender. I pretty much get the cheapest cassette that has that central alu spider.

I recall doing the Notties to Himeville which was a lot of road, and the okes couldn't stop bitchin about how bumpy it was and how "technical" the first 15 k's was.

ja dangly - that was prob all gautengers that had come down for some sani training that you heard....i wasnt bitching in that section :D

ja but you okes already have a few screw loose anyway :whistling:

:lol:

this is what happened to Super_mil on our Alps trip when he didn't tighten his loose screws/axle

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/487435_10152089232090694_255355569_n.jpg

Edited by patches

ja dangly - that was prob all gautengers that had come down for some sani training that you heard....i wasnt bitching in that section :D

LOL

I wish I could say yes, but it was the locals ;)

Keeping spare parts...

What I have in my spares box:

2x worn XX cassettes and a matching chain.

Now, when I see it is going to be havoc, those are the parts I will fit and ride them to death!!!

Happy Hoopin