2012 vs 2013 Giant XTC 29er 1

Wez-O

Hi All,

I'd be interested to see what your opinions are here and which of these you suggest going for. The 2013 model is about R1,200 more expensive and it doesn't look as though the specs warrant that.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-za/bikes/model/xtc.29er/12784/59384/#specifications

Frame

Sizes XS,S,M,L,XL Colors Black/White/Grey Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminium Fork RockShox Recon Gold TK, Pushloc lockout, QR15, OverDrive 2, 100mm travel Shock N/A

Components

Handlebar Connect XC, 19mm rise, 690 x 31.8 Stem Giant Connect SL, OverDrive 2 Seatpost Giant Connect 30.9 Saddle Giant Performance MTB Pedals Nylon Platform

Drivetrain

Shifters Shimano SLX, 3x10 speed Front Derailleur Shimano SLX Rear Derailleur Shimano XT, 10-speed Brakes Shimano M446 [F] 180mm, [R] 160mm rotors Brake Levers Shimano M505 Cassette Shimano HG62 11-36t Chain KMC X-10 Crankset SRAM S1000 22/33/44 Bottom Bracket GXP Press Fit

Wheels

Rims Giant S-XC2 29 wheelset Hubs Giant Tracker QR15, sealed cartridge bearings Spokes DT Swiss Competition Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance Folding 29x2.25

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.29er.1/9031/48895/#specifications

Frame

Sizes S, M, L, XL Colors Black/Silver Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum Fork RockShox Reba 29 RL w/ 15mm Thru-Axle, OverDrive Steerer, 100mm Travel Shock N/A

Components

Handlebar Giant Contact, Flat 31.8 Stem Giant Connect Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9 Saddle Giant Performance MTB Pedals N/A

Drivetrain

Shifters SRAM X7, 3x10 Speed Front Derailleur SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur SRAM X9 Brakes Avid Elixir 5, [F] 180mm, [R] 160mm Brake Levers Avid Elixir 5 Cassette SRAM PG 1030 11x36, 10-Speed Chain SRAM PC 1031 Crankset SRAM S1000, 22/33/44 Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP Press Fit

Wheels

Rims Giant S-XC29 2 Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h Spokes Stainless Steel Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I'll say is that the brakes can only be better than the crap on the 2012 one.

And I prefer the 2012 paint job.

No, stay with the 2012 dude! They've downgraded the fork to a RECON on the 2013, and switched to Shimano on the drivetrain.

The drivetrains are comparable (some prefer SRAM while others prefer SHIMANO) and the brakes on the 2012 are good - Elixir 5's - I love mine, and I'm a heavy guy.

The fork on the 2013 model is a DEFINITE downgrade. REBA is spans ahead of the RECON.

The one thing I'll say is that the brakes can only be better than the crap on the 2012 one.

And I prefer the 2012 paint job.

Have you ridden the Elixir 5's? Have you treated them properly? Bled them, used them and actually held them in your hands while they deliver perfectly predictable stopping power and feel?

Or do you just jump on the bandwagon and because your best mate's father's twice removed's cousin had them and didn't like them so they must be crap?

I've got the 2012. It's been ok but can't see myself buying another Giant. There are better bikes for less money out there.

Brakes are not bad (elixir 5) but won't rush out & get sram again.

LOL. I have Avids on both my bikes, and I must say I've had no problems at all. Elixir 5 on one, XX on the other. Both very, very nice systems.

Have you ridden the Elixir 5's? Have you treated them properly? Bled them, used them and actually held them in your hands while they deliver perfectly predictable stopping power and feel?

Or do you just jump on the bandwagon and because your best mate's father's twice removed's cousin had them and didn't like them so they must be crap?

Slow down there Captain :whistling:

Yes, I've got them on my 2012 Giant XTC 29er.

And I agree with you that the stopping power is great (and there is a highly likely chance I weigh more than you)

My issue is the noise they make.

Yes, I've bled them, and bled them and fiddled, all to no avail.

So if you can suggest something, I'm all ears.

And I agree, the bike is awesome!

Even the sram components are great, and haven't given me any problems.

The actual ride is superb and even though it's got quite an aggressive geometry (according to sample =1), you dont need to be going at 10 tenths to enjoy it.

Slow down there Captain :whistling:

Yes, I've got them on my 2012 Giant XTC 29er.

And I agree with you that the stopping power is great (and there is a highly likely chance I weigh more than you)

My issue is the noise they make.

Yes, I've bled them, and bled them and fiddled, all to no avail.

So if you can suggest something, I'm all ears.

Ah. Yeah, the rotors can be a bit of an issue, which Avid themselves admitted. I've heard that swopping to Alligator discs, or the Shim Ice tech rotors actually work wonders. It's all about the heat dispersion, which the stock ones don't seem to handle well. Must say that mine are dead quiet though...

Ah. Yeah, the rotors can be a bit of an issue, which Avid themselves admitted. I've heard that swopping to Alligator discs, or the Shim Ice tech rotors actually work wonders. It's all about the heat dispersion, which the stock ones don't seem to handle well. Must say that mine are dead quiet though...

Thanks, I'll give a new set of rotors a try then.