Brakes & Rotors

428 others

Hi, this might be a really stupid question, but, can you use any rotors on any brakes?

In other words, can you use Shimano brakes with Avid rotors? Is the braking surface on all rotors, the same width?

Thanks guys!

What rotors will work with Shimano XT calipers?

What is the diffs in stopping power between 160mm and 180mm?

Mmmmm my understanding is that 160 is 160 doesn't matter what caliper ...... I have used all kinds of rotors on all kinds of barkes without issue ...... Thinking when you buy 'after market rotors' like alligator etc. it just says the size not 'Avid' or 'Shimano' or whatever compatible ....

But I may be talking crap .... I doubt it though ;)

Sure the bigger the rotor, the better stopping power?

Running XT rotors with Hope calipers. No problem.

I know people running Hope rotors with LX calipers. Also works 100%

Any rotor with any brakes - just make sure of sizing:

160 - no spacers

Avid normally run 183

Hope normally 185

Shimamo normally 180

Just check which spacer you need

Running XT rotors with Hope calipers. No problem.

I know people running Hope rotors with LX calipers. Also works 100%

Are you talking about me behind my back again? ;)

Currently have Hope rotors with Avid Juicy callipers. You sometimes need to adjust calliper position with washers or spacers for some brands.

Any rotor with any brakes - just make sure of sizing:

160 - no spacers

Avid normally run 183

Hope normally 185

Shimamo normally 180

Just check which spacer you need

Thanks Vin!

Are you talking about me behind my back again? ;)

Currently have Hope rotors with Avid Juicy callipers. You sometimes need to adjust calliper position with washers or spacers for some brands.

I thought you had the LX brakes or am I thinking of that other Intense 5.5 you have at home?

I thought you had the LX brakes or am I thinking of that other Intense 5.5 you have at home?

The works raw Intense is wearing the Shimano LX stoppers at the moment. I know it deserves better than that and working on it. Also going to get Tech M4's for my 5.5. Currently monitoring the budget...

Edited by slick

I hear that a 180 mm upfront increases braking by 15% although at the moment running 160mm Formula R1 upfront and no lack of braking power for me at 97KG

just be careful with lightweight rotors like Alligators certain types can be very ineffective especially the lightweight wind cutters and there you can feel how it pulses upfront ... really not worth it

for example with my avids the original Rotorb and 30 grams heavier rotor defo much better than after market Alligator wind cutters

Think of stopping power in terms of torque.

Torque = Force x Distance

(Distance = Radius of rotor in this case)

To increase stopping power one can either increase force - Buy better brakes

or

Increase distance - run larger rotors.

If my math is correct, running a 180 will give you approx 12.5% more stopping power (but it is early so my math may be off).

The other advantage to a larger rotor is more surface area for heat dissapation. So it cools quicker, reducing the risk of brake fade.

As for mixing brands. Generally it is ok, but there are a few exceptins. Like Hope V2 Vented rotors can only be run with Hope V2's (and Moto's).

Braking power is also relevent to application. On my jump bike I have junky Formula Oro Puro's with a 180 rotor front, 160 rotor back. They do the job. On my All Mountian bike I need a little more stopping power so I run 203mm front, 180mm back and stopping provided by Avid Juicy Carbons with Goodridge hose upgrade (increases stopping power and reduces fade).

But on my Downhill bike I run some insane brakes (Avid Code, 4 pistons) on 203mm rotors (front and back). They're the kind of brakes that stop you so fast your contact lenses fly out... Well, so I thought until I took it to the alps where things are proper steep and a descent can last up to 15min. The Avid codes did their job, but there were times where I thought nothing short of a brick wall could stop me fast enough.

So yeah, all relevant to application