First ride at Tokai, need some pointers!

fran7802

Hi all, im heading off to Tokai over the next few days! My skill level is pretty good, I'm no expert downhiller, but can handle a good decent!

Where to start? I'm looking for nice flowing sections, it seems that I will have to do some climbing before descending?

Where do i get a ticket? In the week riding? Where to park? Where to start my ride for the best flowing sections? DH3, what's it like? Can incorporate a nice trail ride into a decent?

I'll be riding alone, so don't wanna get lost!?

Anyway, anyone got a map that they can guide me on route please!?

Or someone willing to meetup for a ride I'm here until Friday!?

Cheers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On your way up there is a wooden shack where you get a ticket for 35 bucks carry on up the road and hang a left and follow the road for another 300 bumpy meters

follow the road up on your left is the fairy garden unmarked probably 300m past the boom

thats an up hill warm up after that follow the road up asthma hill about 1,5 km and keep heading up coming down you should see the single tracks although would be good to have a guide, if I was home would have shown you the way

During the week plenty ladies riding so just ask if you lost

you can also enter through the top gate probably 12km's of descent and some good stracks but then to slog back up

It can be tricky beause not highly visible from the road tracks

hope this helps although can be daunting but at least you can feel safe even if you see baboons just ignore and they wont even take note of you

When you buy your ticket buy a map too. Its about R20? But will help a lot. You can't really get lost in tokai if you follow the signage. Stay off the roads marked no cycling (on your left on the way up) from the parking lot follow the gravel road up untill you get to above the tree line. This is the highest point that you can get to. If you keep on the road look for trails on your right heading down. They are all signposted at the entrance. Dh is rough, snaketrails are easier. To get back to the carpark just head downhill. You will always end up at the right place eventually. There are always people riding up there so just ask for directions. And if you go down dh3 check the jumps first! Some are blind and not at all rollable, especially the BIG ones at the bottom! Enjoy!!!

once you just exit the tree line stay right, then continue going up. You will meet a tarred road. Take that road all the way up to the antennae the views from there are totaly awesome. On your way down you can take bridal path, Is it still Open guys?

Its rideable cap, you just need dem skills...

Rofl. Granted, last time i rode it was 3 years back on a crappy little silverback and 80mm fork, but i've walked it and seen the difference.

We rode it last about a year ago, there are some nasty deep ruts, then there are also some added jumps, probably illegal and some ruts have been filled, probably by the illegal builders, however i did come off in a rut on a corner............ damn!!! that dont sound right!!!!!!

We rode it last about a year ago, there are some nasty deep ruts, then there are also some added jumps, probably illegal and some ruts have been filled, probably by the illegal builders, however i did come off in a rut on a corner............ damn!!! that dont sound right!!!!!!

Nah,. Deon is the one who has tried to fill in some of them, but tbh it's a bigger task than one man can handle. It needs a full revamp.

Its rideable cap, you just need dem skills...

:D Mayhem, you were so looking for this chirp. Good one Jimmy.

Schweet, Thanks Deon. But I always try to convince everyone else to stay away from there, I just love the snake trails too much. Just a pity there isnt a trail (notDH) that runs straight down to vasbyt. Imagine then it would be bliss, singletrack all the way down.

Schweet, Thanks Deon. But I always try to convince everyone else to stay away from there, I just love the snake trails too much. Just a pity there isnt a trail (notDH) that runs straight down to vasbyt. Imagine then it would be bliss, singletrack all the way down.

all in due time, Riyadh... all in due time.