The Audiophile/reference music thread.

Wyatt Earp

98 dB. I can even run them off the i-phone when I really feel like it.

That sounds more like a SPL number? Looking for the Ohm value. But if you say you can use it with a phone then it would not be too high I guess. I do not want to carry a headphone amp around, esp at work. Which shops would you recommend to have a good range? (and patience)

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds more like a SPL number? Looking for the Ohm value. But if you say you can use it with a phone then it would not be too high I guess. I do not want to carry a headphone amp around, esp at work. Which shops would you recommend to have a good range? (and patience)

Oops, 32 ohms.

They are available from the, wait for it sheeple................... i-store :thumbup:

Ta thanks mnr...that will be a pressie from me to me...us sheeple have high standards with audio equipment

I have done the whole Valve Audio thing along with Sonor Audio speakers and really loved the system, I then changed to (as we do) to Mark levinson pre power and B&W 802n's keeping my humble Rotel 971 in the mix along the way.

I was never entirely satisfied and changed to my current system

Audio research VT100 (Tube)

Shanling CD T 100 (Tube)

and Quad 2905 ESL's

Thats it! no pre in the mix.

Recently I discovered that by orienting my room longways that the performances were greatly improved especially in the bass region. I recon If I had conquered my room a few years earlier I would have not changed my system so drasticaly and saved a lot of cash in the process too.

The room is most definately the most influential part of any system.

I have done the whole Valve Audio thing along with Sonor Audio speakers and really loved the system, I then changed to (as we do) to Mark levinson pre power and B&W 802n's keeping my humble Rotel 971 in the mix along the way.

Shanling CD T 100 (Tube)

and Quad 2905 ESL's

Recently I discovered that by orienting my room longways that the performances were greatly improved especially in the bass region. I recon If I had conquered my room a few years earlier I would have not changed my system so drasticaly and saved a lot of cash in the process too.

How's the WAF with the 2905s? I could never pull that off.

Yip, I love music, everyone that knows me knows that. As far as the equipment goes, well that is a different story. I'd like to have the latest and greatest in home entertainment, but the stuff changes so quickly one can barely keep up. I bought a Yamaha 1300, not motorcycle, AV and all the speakers that goes with it some time ago. It is all obsolete now. :wacko: Well, it still makes noise until the cooling fan must kick in, then it switches off. So, now I listen to my little PC amp in 5.1. :unsure:

Shanling CD T 100 (Tube)

and Quad 2905 ESL's

Absolute truth there. Makes a huge difference to the sound.

How have you treated your listening room if I may ask?

Was refering to the Sennheiser HD 212's.

Ah. In that case, I agree (unless we're talking about those crazy Iranians at Infected Mushroom) But that's easily fixed by fiddling with the equalizer settings. They're still tight and good for the price that you pay. I think I paid GBP25 for them?

BTW, I would like to get some Michael Hedges on 180g vinyl. Do you guys know of a place on the net that I can order it from?

I buy most of my Vinyl from musicstack.com.

Ah. In that case, I agree (unless we're talking about those crazy Iranians at Infected Mushroom) But that's easily fixed by fiddling with the equalizer settings. They're still tight and good for the price that you pay. I think I paid GBP25 for them?

I also have a pair. All the rubber came of and started flaking everywhere so I hardly use them anymore.

But I do agree. They are great.

Ive had my B&W 683's and Rotel Amps and all new in storage for About 3-3.5 years now.

I have now decided to unpack and install.

Please assist with the following;

1. Speaker cable

2. RCA Cable

I should use for best performance

Thanks

I have a soft spot for QED Silver Anniversary XT cable running from my Rotel Amp to the DLS speakers

You can also look at Ecosse Mini 4 if you plan on bi-wiring or bi-amping the speakers.

I only terminate with Furutech and all my cables are hand made.

RCA's you also can't got wrong with the QED range or even Audioquest.

Ive had my B&W 683's and Rotel Amps and all new in storage for About 3-3.5 years now.

I have now decided to unpack and install.

Please assist with the following;

1. Speaker cable

2. RCA Cable

I should use for best performance

Thanks

Honestly,

If you have loads of money and need to "have the best" then just get monster for everything. It's super expensive and everybody thinks they the best.

If you don't care about the name brand and want something that works just as well if not better than monster and is way cheaper then:

Speaker cable: normal 2 core electrical cable will work. The ones that look just like an extension cable. 2.5mm thick should work.

Rca cables: normal rca cables do the trick but I use proel stuff which is nice and not costly.