Not another thread about not riding when it is muddy!

DoubleDee

Do you ride in all weather conditions? If only a fair weather rider, why?

My Kenda small block 8 gets a fright each time it sees a)sand or b)mud. Doesn't stop me though. Pretoria has a lot of dust which with these last two weeks has all turned to mud, so I just grind through it all and use it to my experience (mud -> tyres -> extra weight -> tougher riding -> #whatdoesnotkillmemakesmestronger )

as the starter of the other thread......i ride in all conditions, heat, rain, mud, sand....but i do choose to not ride in extreme conditions if i can...unless i have put down a wad of cash like sani2c then i would ride in those extreme conditions too.

As a rule i don't start a training ride if it's raining but if iv'e already started i will continue unless it gets really bad and on the highveld we get some crazy thunderstorms which turn trails into muddy streams, I don't mind sand type mud but hate the clay type mud which really sticks.

I will ride in anything. Exept the road...

i smiled when i read that....until i realised that i have to ride on the road to get to the dirt.....

I only ride in fairly good weather or conditions, my cycling buddies tend to steer clear of anything that looks overcast... Leaves me with riding in the dark on my own as my option. Otherwise, I'm off to the gym :-(

THE correct bike and mud is your friend. OOPS most bikes available in the RSA do not have decent clearances, and most South African cycles have yet to discover the freedom of a single speed. So when it rains instead of bog hunting they watch Barney on the telly.

What about dirt roads?

I am allergic to dirt roads. I have had more crashes on dirt roads than any other terrain in the last few years. Which takes some doing as I hardly ever ride on them.

Nothing beats the war cry "muuuuuuuud!". Oh wait, hearing the "splat" as said mud splashes the rider behind you is quite fun too ;-p

I won't start riding in bad weather and if it's really bad then I'll find a safe spot to sit it out, but light drizzle has never stopped me leaving home. As for actual mud, the golden rule on mtb rides is for other riders to remember that I'm not only hippo-like in terms of being fat, but also in terms of making a bee-line for the puddles...