Crest vs Arch EX - Opinions please

beanz

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a wheelset upgrade for my Giant Anthem 29er.

I'm thinking of getting custom built wheels with either Crest or Arch EX rims, probably with hope hubs.

I weigh 70kg, but I do like to take on some pretty rocky descents at decent speed and I'm not the best at always picking the right line.

I do the odd race and will be taking them on the berg and bush as well. I don't want to use them for just races - they will be my everyday wheelset and I'll probably just keep the giant wheels as a spare, or maybe offload them.

There seem to be much heavier people than me on crests but also people my weight or lighter on Arches (or Arch EXes).

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with either, or both, especially at my roughly my weight.

1. How perceivable is the difference in stiffness between the the two wheels?

2. How much do you feel the 70 odd gram difference per rim in weight between them?

There seem to be lots of happy people on Crests, and it's generally the popular choice it seems. But maybe some riders on Crests modify their riding style to compensate for the fact that they're on less robust wheels.

I obviously want to go for the lightest wheels, but not at the expense of a very noticable drop in stiffness.

Can stronger spokes compensate to some extent for lighter rims in this regard?

I suppose either way I'll be much better off than on the 2.1kg stock giant p-xc2 wheels.

Any insights will be much appreciated.

Without doubt get the Arch EX, that extra little bit of weight far outweighs the cost of having to fix a rim if you were unlucky to break one

Thats my 10c...

I have 26" Arch wheels with Hope hubs... they seem pretty much bomb proof so if thats anythig to go by, use it, dont use it. :thumbup:

It would be best if you could test-ride. Personally, I don't like Crests. Have them on my HT, but plan to replace them. Yes, they are light, but the flex is noticible. If you like playing in rocks, go for Arch.

Another thing I hate about the Crests: when friends exceeding the rider weight limit want to test-ride my bike it causes a difficult situation... how to tell them they're too heavy without giving offence?

I never thought of that. I can imagine that might be a problem on your Tallboy.

The Crests are on my Storm. Will NOT be buying them for the Tallboy :blink:

You'll be fine with Crest, some pimping Hope hubs and Pillar Spokes :thumbup:

I have Arch EX on Hope hubs with Pillar spokes (the stock Arch EX wheelset would have been lighter though)

@ 70kg, you should be fine with Crest rims - ZTR Crest wheelset has a weight limit of 85kg

post-615-0-76375100-1348224369_thumb.jpg

Got the Crests on my Anthem x 29er with Hope Pro 2's - I weigh 90KG's

Hit rocky sections, drop-offs and downhill with them very hard - they are still as true as the day I put them on.

Edited by VT2jp

I'm about 80 kg and have Crests. They are light and fast, but they are flexy. I ride very carefully down hills these days. I got them on a 2nd hand bike i bought, and they are one of the first things i will upgrade.

I would go for the lighter Crests I find them to be great wheels on my Anthem.

(I`ve got a set of Stans Crest 29er wheels for sale @R4500, brand new, standard QR or 15mm thru-axle)

Edited by Berg Bok

At 70kg the Crest is fine for you. However the Arch EX weighs in at 80g more and have a newer rim design than the Crest which effectively means a bullet proof wheel for yourself.

Having the Arch EX also makes your bike more saleable as fatties can look at it without having to worry about changing the wheels.

I have had Crest on my TallBoy and now have Arch EX on my c29s. Happy that the Arch EX is stronger.

Arch EX with stans hubs are just as light as Crest with Hope hubs, most guys look at rim weight and then go put heavy tyres on.

I have Arch EX with Spez S- Works tyres and they are about 150 grams lighter than Crest with Maxxis Crossmark non UST ( quite a light tyre)

The Arch EX are bullet proof .. The Crest may stay true but they do Flex,even with strong riders in the 70-75 kg range.. I have personally witness cracking at the nipple area on a lightweight XC riders wheels

Seems a bit pointless to put a bullet proof hub on a Rim known to be fragile ...if you google reviews you wont find many good reviews on the Crest except for light build weight .. but spoke tension loss plenty .. flex plenty

Its lekker to have light wheels but you want confidence

Have a look at these options for your rims........ I have a set of i23's. The crest will buckle under hard riding conditions. Also check out this article that a wheelbuilder wrote about the new WTB's

WTB i23 = 23mm innerbead width 530g

WTB i19 = 19mm innerbead width 435g

ZTR Flow = 22.6.. inner bead width 526g

ZTR Arch EX = 21mm inner bead width = 450g

ZTR Crest = 21mm inner bead width = 380g

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/241116-First-WTB-Frequency-I23-build

I got arches, carbon rims and crests....

The speed of the wheels or as follows:

Carbons, arches, crests

The arches are not in the same league as the carbons stiffness wise, but far stiffer than the crests. I have crests on my rigid bike and they are all over the place, the arches definitely work better on the rigid, and the climbing is super noticable improvement on the arches.

Crests are fine, I weigh 75kg. the do flex, they actually comfy ride on the rigid.

Arch EX with stans hubs are just as light as Crest with Hope hubs, most guys look at rim weight and then go put heavy tyres on. I have Arch EX with Spez S- Works tyres and they are about 150 grams lighter than Crest with Maxxis Crossmark non UST ( quite a light tyre) The Arch EX are bullet proof .. The Crest may stay true but they do Flex,even with strong riders in the 70-75 kg range.. I have personally witness cracking at the nipple area on a lightweight XC riders wheels Seems a bit pointless to put a bullet proof hub on a Rim known to be fragile ...if you google reviews you wont find many good reviews on the Crest except for light build weight .. but spoke tension loss plenty .. flex plenty Its lekker to have light wheels but you want confidence

I agree it doesn't make sense to get a super light rim and put heavy tires on. I'm running the Racing Ralph snakeskin, which is pretty light and strong, just wears a bit quickly, but there's not much room to save weight there.

The other option I've considered is to go with a front Crest and a rear Arch. I figure the snappy handling in the front might be nice and a bit more beef in the rear. I find it's easier to clear trouble up front, but more likely to bottom on the back wheel.

Where is the extra flexiness more likely to be felt, in the front or rear?

Anyway thanks to everyone for chiming in and giving some pretty useful input.