So, whats for lunch?

HDW

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, opinions on the "correct" way differ. I just seal in a pan then whack it in the oven. 

As for the curing - yeah. The end result is hopefully going to be like pancetta. Though the piece of belly I have is pretty low on meat, but OMG it's delicious! Cut some off and used it in a mushroom pasta last night. Rendered it down in a little bit of butter, and by the time it was rendered it was LEKKER crispy and there was enough fat to fry off the mushies. WOW, that was good. 

When it's cured though... That will be even better!

For Parma you'd probably have to use something like a shoulder. 

Ja, opinions on the "correct" way differ. I just seal in a pan then whack it in the oven. 

As for the curing - yeah. The end result is hopefully going to be like pancetta. Though the piece of belly I have is pretty low on meat, but OMG it's delicious! Cut some off and used it in a mushroom pasta last night. Rendered it down in a little bit of butter, and by the time it was rendered it was LEKKER crispy and there was enough fat to fry off the mushies. WOW, that was good. 

bought my last pork belly here

http://josefineanderung.spotlife.se/files/2013/12/20131205-183535.jpg

worth paying a bit extra.

bought my last pork belly here

http://josefineanderung.spotlife.se/files/2013/12/20131205-183535.jpg

worth paying a bit extra.

Will definitely look into it. And agreed. Some of the cuts are just super fatty. 

Guest notmyname

that's what I do.

Same. Put it in at 22'c for 20 minutes then turn down to 180'c for two hours. Also what I found real good is to slice fresh apples maybe 1cm thick and place the belly on the apples. Fill the roasting dish with 500ml of cider and 200l of chicken stock.

Guest notmyname

Same. Put it in at 22'c for 20 minutes then turn down to 180'c for two hours. Also what I found real good is to slice fresh apples maybe 1cm thick and place the belly on the apples. Fill the roasting dish with 500ml of cider and 200l of chicken stock.

Score with a box cutter. Much easier.

Lamb Vindaloo, on it's way from Mantra. With some rice, a naan and a beer. 

9 holes of golf later this afternoon.

Myles, where do you buy curing salt?

Braised Rabbit

Hopefully not the one that died in the "knocked up and cycling" thread

Myles, where do you buy curing salt?

Freddy Hirsch. There's one in Montague Gardens, Chain road. Though not sure if they have a shop. The shop I got it from is their outlet in Maitland, just by the cemetary. 11th avenue / Voortrekker Road. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Freddy Hirsch. There's a depot not far from you. 

thanks, yes I know where it is.