Morwa

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

That's easy. Hope!

I Have Hope V2's. Did a DH trip to France and I was the only guy in our group who didn't have to bleed brakes whilst over there. Feel is amazing. they look amazing. The adjustment dials feel amazing. There's nothing on them that is average. Everything is top drawer.

You can even get factory made colour coded rotors, resevoir caps and levers

Very rarely in this day and age do you get something that has a bespoke look and feel. Hope has that. They are kind of the oposite of Crank Bro's. I can't speak highly enough of their products.

Guest Omega Man

BTW. In these types of threads everyone is just going to reckomend what they have. Not exactly definative.

Ive never had the xtr's. Cant comment

Hope m4's I had. Sold them to vinny. They provide good stopping power but its got a huge lever section. Its not the easiest of brakes to pair nicely with your shifters unless you move them far away from each other. And they not on they light side

Formula I have. Ive always been a Magura fan and will always be. But these brakes have impressed me massive amounts. They have awesome stopping power. And they super light. Not cheap and from what ive heard heavy on pads in the rain and mud. Ive got the R1's with reach adjust and pad contact adjuster. They work moerse well. Not just sales trickshit there.

Good luck.

Ps also take a look at the Magura mt8's

Hi guys

There's an awesome article in the august 2012 MBR magazine about brakes.

I've scanned the article, to a pdf, but it's 23MB.

PM me and I'll forward it to email addresses.

G

BTW. In these types of threads everyone is just going to reckomend what they have. Not exactly definative.

I had hope techs on my previous bike and I now have XTR trails on my new bike. No comparison - hopes have more stopping power, better modulation and are more reliable. Will be selling my xtr's for some hopes.

Formula R1!!!! no regrets its tha **** dude, in terms of replacing pads at multi event its wise to buy 2 x sets of pads and just have them as spare anyway, if you not gonna use em in the event you going to use em somewhere along the line,never a waist to have em as spare!! besides you will get a better price from your LBS than at the service stations out in the bundu's.

My friend had to get his pads replaced in the middel of the epic stage 6,it cost him R375 to replace a pair of avid pads at a tech zone in the rain, just had to it was downhill to the finish!! Smoke em!

Edited by Bike Lane

Stage racing = new 2012/13 SLX or XT with Ice-Tech Rotors, cuz spares are cheap and available, super easy to bleed, bombproof.

For a "show-off" (spoil-yourself) bike, or if you have enough moohla and can afford keeping yourself lots of spares and tools, then Formula R1 is sooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TheV

I dont see how you can need anything more than good old reliable affordable serviceable adjustable very effective Shimano xt,s

All you ever do on Hope is replace pads. :clap:

Then again im running 2004 Deore on the trail bike and they havnt needed a single bit of maintenance except for pads.

Just because I am not doing much, here is the MBR brake review you should have a look at, got it down to 9mb:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sbah66dobk2ii

I bought the X0's a few months ago, really happy with them. Compared to the older Avids, stupid niggles like aligning calipers are non existent. Had the older Shimano XT's, can't say they were bad but these are lighter and easier to bleed IMO. New XT won the review, but I like the build of the X0 more so I went with those. Formula and the rest are in there too, check it out.

I have just put a set of Formulas on was using Elixir Cr's which were great for me and I rate them over the 770 Xt's

but the Formul's are in a class of their own they really do feel powerful and to put in context was on 185 upfront with Elixir and now on 160 upfront with the R1's only because had so little time to find a bigger rotor

Anyway point is the R1's are more than capable as they are so save a few bucks upgrading .. and they are superlight so an added bonus and picked them up for a great price from a certain poster on this topic.. the likes that even CRC dont compare

I have really enjoyed the Formula brakes (used K18 and K24 for 5 years) Simple, reliable, flip flop leavers, easy to bleed and easy to change pads. Currently using Avid Elixer 9, also nice, similar to Formula, although G2rotors are noisier. Much prefer both compared to the Shimano i started off with.