What to eat?

Nutella....just last week some one told me it was discovered by accident i.e. they were trying to make chocolate and failed

Good example of how not all failures are bad, but its still banned in our household

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys,

So, I'm getting to the point where I'm beginning to spend a lot more time on the bike than before. Where I used to ride for between 1 and 2,5 hours, I'm now trying to put in more distance and riding for 2,5 hours plus.

Thing is, when I get get to 2,5 hours I feel like I could eat a buffalo, and then it feels like my legs are made of jelly and I struggle to peddle.

I usually eat a banana before a ride, and take water and Fast Fuel during my ride, I mostly drink the water and end up finishing the ride with 1/2 bottle of Fast Fuel left.

Please could you guys advise me on what to eat on longer rides, Jungle Oats Bars? Snackers? Sandwiches? USN bars? Nuts etc. And should I be eating more before I go out on long rides.

Also, I'm muslim, so lets keep this alcohol and pork free :P

My favourite for long events (+4hrs) is a peanut butter / honey toasted sandwhich (white bread). Can eat them before / during and after

My favourite for long events (+4hrs) is a peanut butter / honey toasted sandwhich (white bread). Can eat them before / during and after

Sounds lekker, I love honey. Is it easy to eat a sammich while you riding or do you need to stop? I usually just eat Bar One's or an assortment of other energy bars, those are easy to eat while you riding.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

Sounds lekker, I love honey. Is it easy to eat a sammich while you riding or do you need to stop? I usually just eat Bar One's or an assortment of other energy bars, those are easy to eat while you riding.

I usualy make them in a snackwhich type toaster and then cut them into 4 smaller pieces which makes it easier to eat, I do both eat while riding or take a short snack stop depends on the situation.

The best thing to do is eat something you look forward to eating while still satisfying your bodies energy requirements. You will need to experiment during training rides to find what works for you.

BTW Wiki says this about Nutella:

In the US state of California, Nutella's manufacturer, Ferrero, was sued in a class action lawsuit and agreed to pay $3 million (up to $4.00 per jar in returns by customers) in a settlement in which Nutella's misleading promotion led consumers to believe that Nutella carries nutritional and health benefits, marketing it as part of a nutritious breakfast. According to the lawsuit's settlement in 2012, Ferrero must change Nutella's labeling and some marketing statements. It will also have to remove television commercials and their website must be clean of any misleading nutritional and health claims.

I remeber those adverts, LOL they were a bit misleading....

Someone recently told me about taking Nougat and water during races. I was a bit sceptical but I must say that it really worked for me during my last (108km) race. Bought a large packet of small Damascus wrapped nougat sweets and took a sweet with a few swigs of water every half hour after the first hour in the saddle. Worked wonders.

• 2 weeks later...

My riding meals of choice is either boiled baby potatoes(easy to eat while you ride) or a hotdog roll with the insides ripped out that has peanut butter/nutello inside and a whole banana. yum :D

• 4 weeks later...

32Gi to launch NEW FOODBAR's at 94.7 CYCLE CHALLENGE

- Low GI

- High Protein

- Healthy Fats

- Health Carbs

- Balanced & Sustainable Energy

• 2 weeks later...

just go the arab way it works for me and thats dates so many ..variaties to choose from but keep it local the kalhari dates

just go the arab way it works for me and thats dates so many ..variaties to choose from but keep it local the kalhari dates

Don't dates make you **** yourself? Excuse my ignorance :/

I buy the Woolies Low gi bars with banana, cinnamon and dates. Doesnt melt, goes down easy and you dont spike your sugar.

Edited by MCipollini

Nope Prunes....

Prune juice, comes out in same consistency as it went in with everything else you ate.

For the 94.7 on Sunday, my mom me made baby baked potatoes and put some salt on them, I kept about 5 in packet in my pocket in a packet, man were they awesome, really helped keep me from getting hungry, they was easy to chew and swallow and tasted great.

Dates are also good, but not too many, loads of protein in them.