Giant Simple Single

andydude

What do guys think of a commuting bicycle like the Giant Simple Single? I don't have the time to go build my own singlespeed and thought that this is a nice compromise at R2,600.

I would perhaps add mud flaps and even a detachable basket for if I have to go to the store! It would be a fun way to get around and would be over and above normal road racing training.

post-12446-0-63985600-1349270984_thumb.jpg

What do guys think of a commuting bicycle like the Giant Simple Single? I don't have the time to go build my own singlespeed and thought that this is a nice compromise at R2,600.

I would perhaps add mud flaps and even a detachable basket for if I have to go to the store! It would be a fun way to get around and would be over and above normal road racing training.

There's a guy who rides past my house everyday on one of these - very cool. Not sure it's the best option for long rides (or if there are any serious hills involved) but for a neighbourhood runaround - perfect!

Corvette is a bit more expensive than that.

I can confirm that it's super comfortable and a 20km ride like CM can easily be done on it. Still wont commute on one. Heavy and the coaster brake is not the most efficient.

Corvette is a bit more expensive than that.

I can confirm that it's super comfortable and a 20km ride like CM can easily be done on it. Still wont commute on one. Heavy and the coaster brake is not the most efficient.

Excuse my SS ignorance, but what is CM? And who do you say firstly it's comfortable and then say it's not (I guess the first question will half answer my second question)?

Edited by andydude

CM = Critical Mass. Flat 20km ride at 7km/h. For that kind of riding it's super comfortable.

The second you get some steeper climbs it's going to eat you alive.

CM = Critical Mass. Flat 20km ride at 7km/h. For that kind of riding it's super comfortable.

Agreed.

Hills on that bike = tough climb and sweaty rider

Speed on that bike = chilled

Riding into the wind on that bike = slow and sweaty rider

If you do the shop runs on flat roads then by all means go for it.

Cool, thanks!

Or maybe it'll make my legs stronger :thumbup:

That split top tube causes me to have a little accident in pants everytime I see it.

It's just such a bad-ass looking bike.

That split top tube causes me to have a little accident in pants everytime I see it.

It's just such a bad-ass looking bike.

Funny how they also split the rear stays like that Pinarello MTB frame .... Pina frame not so unique is it :):) chuckle chuckle