Mugging & Attempted Mugging - Paarden Island bike lane (near N1)

Rydogg

The product I used was the pepper spray from cape union mart, uzzi pepper spray. I sprayed the guy on the chest, and it knocked him flat almost immediately. It sprays a jet stream of red spray. The police had a neutralizer, but this wasnt very effective. Someone from the shops gave a 10 litre bucket of water and this oke was washing his face for at least a half hour.

Ish, this dude would have been down and out if it had been his face you aimed for!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ja nee, the police was telling me about a training course to use pepper spray. I wanted to laugh but I humored him. I then asked why shop etc sell it if you must have a certificate to use and then of course no answer!! But apparently according the them, it is illegal to use

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just some news related to these incidents.

This morning MEC Alan Winde was mugged on his bike on the way to work in what seems to be the same place as the incidents reported in this thread.

Speaking to the Cape Argus soon after the drama, Winde, pictured, praised the superb work by his police protector. “We left my home in Durbanville at 6am. At around 7.10 we were riding on the bicycle lane through Paarden Eiland, near where the lane passes under the N1.

“There was a man standing in the road, and as we rode past he grabbed my arm and pulled me off my bike, also knocking my protector off his bike.”

Here's the full article:

http://www.iol.co.za...79#.UJPU329Fz8k

(The story also appears on the front page of the Cape Argus afternoon edition)

The good news is that they were able to track down and arrest the mugger using Winde's stolen iPhone's GPS locator.

I received a call from a representative of MyCiti this afternoon suggesting that anyone who has been attacked / mugged in this area report the incident to the Woodstock Police station (who are currently holding the suspect) - if you had not done so already.

Should this be the same attacker, additional reports could strengthen any case against him.

Safe riding!

Matt

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the safety of using this area?

I am in the process of moving to the West Coast and I am not hyper keen on going over koeberg fly over.

So far so good since the MEC got mugged

They tracked down the guy who took his phone and fixed the fence and there are no incidents I am aware of since then.

This was cool at the end of the article - In a statement this morning, Winde said: “To the man who stole my cellphone, your actions will not deter me, and the many others who enjoy cycling in our city, from returning to my bike.

“Next week, I will be back on my bike. You [the mugger], on the other hand, will be in jail.”

• 1 month later...

this really sucks, I went main road yesterday as it was early and those paths are so quiet one feels quite vulnerable out there alone.....such great paths, this really shouldn't be the case.....