Dropping onto flat

braailegend

So I've been riding my fullsus for a good 3 weeks now, basicely everyday. Was just wondering when it comes to drops onto flat ground (No landing/slope), what is the best approach? When I was on my STP, it meant dropping rear wheel first (trials like), but when I do it now I bottom my back out to quickly.

Should I go for a more levelled bike position. Seems to be better, at speed this way.

Depends on the height of the drop but the best and safest method remains to be back wheel first and then front wheel.

If you hit it at speed the angle of the landing can be a bit less since your forward momentum will help absorb the impact.

Bottoming the back however doesn't sound right. Suspension setup correctly?

It bottoms when I do a slow drop, like I would on hardtail, from about shoulder height/1.7m. with speed it does go better. Its not a DH bike, Intense 6.6, and suspension pretty dialled I think.

That is fairly high. I know my old Giant would have a shitfit over any drop higher than waist high.

The Pacific Crit 8 I had however would eat any drop I could throw at it.

agreed that your rear shock should not bottom out,go on you tube there is alot of videos on approaching drop offs, and how you should be positioned on your bike.

It bottoms when I do a slow drop, like I would on hardtail, from about shoulder height/1.7m. with speed it does go better. Its not a DH bike, Intense 6.6, and suspension pretty dialled I think.

Firstly why are you doing drops of that height to flat?,you will undoubtedly end up braking something on that bike sooner or later. Secondly I find this a bit hard to believe,are these drops on popular trails?,or are you finding things to drop off ie banks?,most dh rigs would bottom out on a drop from 1.7m to flat. My advice avoid them or find a landing further on with gradient that you can jump to.

Firstly why are you doing drops of that height to flat?,you will undoubtedly end up braking something on that bike sooner or later. Secondly I find this a bit hard to believe,are these drops on popular trails?,or are you finding things to drop off ie banks?,most dh rigs would bottom out on a drop from 1.7m to flat. My advice avoid them or find a landing further on with gradient that you can jump to.

Do them from stoepe and Pavilion stands, onto cement, not on trails though. used to do them, so rode past them the other day, and thought hit them up with the fullsus.

Do them from stoepe and Pavilion stands, onto cement, not on trails though. used to do them, so rode past them the other day, and thought hit them up with the fullsus.

haha I knew there was something you werent telling us,the trick is dont do those haha,If there was a landing id say no worries,probably the fastest way to break something on your bike. Imagine the force being generated.

haha I knew there was something you werent telling us,the trick is dont do those haha,If there was a landing id say no worries,probably the fastest way to break something on your bike. Imagine the force being generated.

Some sound advice, haha.. ill cry if I break my frame. With a hardtail the shock goes into your body, but think I'll go look for some slopes. Still have to get comfortable going nose first.

Land both wheels together , that way the front and rear suspension are sharing the load. But you still need to take as much of the impact with your arms and legs as you can. Its a great way to destroy your frame, shocks, wheels etc...

Erm the Intense 6.6 frame you're riding was designed as a long travel AM bike. Doing these types of drops on it is surely going to ovalize a pivot. I would recommend you rather get a hack bike to ride(drop off) said obstacles :thumbup:

They say when you get good you'll land both wheels at the same time, and when you get REALLY good you'll land a little more front wheel first :)

Your fork generally has more travel than what the shock has so it makes sense, but landing a 1.7m dropoff onto flat concrete does sound a bit heavy for a standard full suspension bike!

The bike wasn't designed for that. All you're doing is stuffing it up. It will break.

Hubbers, take note. Never buy a secondhand Internse 6.6 from this hubber or any of his mates. It will be truly shagged

I did a chest high drop to flat on my Intense 5.5 without any hassle (it is wearing DH wheels though). It was at speed and I touched down with the back wheel very slightly before the front - it was almost both together and felt smooth but I also absorbed quite a bit with arms and legs - and used about 90% of rear travel.

If anyone needs to replace an Intense pivot bolt they are R1.95 from JKM Tools in Randburg. ;)

Those are generally the ones that allow for drops of that height, very few natural features on the trail that allow for such big drops. I was doing the same in school for a while, just for fun on my way home. Usually both wheels would touch down at the same time if dropping slow but when hitting it at pace, it would be natural for the back wheel to suck it up first. The forward momentum softens the impact.

Geez close call one day, I used this almost head-height drop to lose a dog chasing me.. He was on my back wheel gearing up for some ankle when the final hill approach arrived, a last ditch effort pedal to keep the distance from his teeth and whoosh! Airborne. Dog left barking at the edge. I cr*pped myself though, fastest I had ever launched the drop and when I looked back, it was not the place I usually dropped from. Because the retention wall was built on a slope, I had taken off from the bottom corner, well above head height.. !! No wonder the dog stopped!

The routine was ±1.6m drop, mount kerb, float about 5 or 6 stairs, short roll into another set of stairs, launch off kerb straight across road and launch opposite kerb into another steep slope, dodge an Impala jet wing, ±1m drop off jet display area into more slope and then final ±1.3m drop onto sports field.. faster was definitely more entertaining!

The bike wasn't designed for that. All you're doing is stuffing it up. It will break.

Hubbers, take note. Never buy a secondhand Internse 6.6 from this hubber or any of his mates. It will be truly shagged

If I don't sell my bike within the 1st 2weeks of getting it, its a keeper :D My bikes break/get stolen/canabalized before I can get to the point of selling them.

Maybe I should also lose a bit more Weight, just 25kg heavier than what I was back in the day, haha. Love dropping staircases in town, at speed I dont feel the drop.