SS Mtb Frame Advice

Dirtbreath

I have been led to believe that the Ritchey and Niner are 10k+. Lovely bikes but a bit steep I think. That is almost in custom frame territory.

Ritchey frame is certainly under R 10 K.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump :blush:

I would like to enquire regarding the single speed mountain bike ideal. Is there a preferred frame format which could be used or avoided. One that is popular within the single speed groups and one that would be not so popular. As an example fully rigid, hardtail or dual suspension. Naturally it could be understood that rigid would be the tougher type and dual suspension the softer type.

I would like to enquire regarding the single speed mountain bike ideal. Is there a preferred frame format which could be used or avoided. One that is popular within the single speed groups and one that would be not so popular. As an example fully rigid, hardtail or dual suspension. Naturally it could be understood that rigid would be the tougher type and dual suspension the softer type.

Hi pokeslow

The reason why nobody has replied to your query is because SS riders don't care what bikes other SS are riding and there is no bitching or pecking order when it comes to rider being "cooler" than others because their bike costs more or has lots of bling.

Sure we like to look at those bike, but also respect the bikes built up from bits and bobs you have lying around at home or managed to liberate from friends and family members.

Rigid or Suspension is really a preference and is also a factor of how and where you ride. Only you can answer this one.

I speak for myself, but I prefer a proper SS frame and not to go the geared bike frame using a tensioner to ride SS route. I just prefer the simplicity and aesthetics of a true SS frame.

I am also a On-One advocate. For the amount of Z.A.R you pay for them, you get a nice frame with very very good handling traits. They can be alittle heavy, but hey so what.

Look around, ask questions and approach the project with an open mind and go for what speaks to your soul.

Peace, Love and Happiness

Hairy

I really don't care to much for a SS specific frame . Frames with the so-called shifting dropouts are expensive and if I really can't get a QR rear wheel then I might as well go and find that dikwiel in my garage and use that for my SS . The same thing except for the rear brake with is back-pedal .

I am also looking but all I find is $1500 + frames. And the rand is not exactly in our faviour. My quest continues

The Santa Cruz Highball is around 7k

Thank you was hoping to hear something like that

:thumbup:

Please all SS riders add further comments

Why dont you use an existing (non SS specific) frame and do a SS build and determine if you enjoy it or not before committing to a dedicated SS frame?

Also as far as inexpensive frames using paragon sliders, there are a few. Kona unit as confirmed with the agent today will get to your door as a.) Complete Bike for about R9000 or B.) frame and fork for about R5500. There are also a few more "boutique" brands which can be found with a little research and digging on the interwebs for about the same money. Google is your friend.