USN for Kids - Twitter war

Thorn199

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't go very smoothly for USN. I was listening over streaming with Dr Jon Patricios. He decided to call in and state the position on supplements in children of the South African Sports Medicine Association. USN spokesperson didnt really have too many answers and admitted that the product was not well researched and only tested on children for taste and satiety effect. The focus of the show was more on the marketing of the product.

Who was the spokesperson, surely not CEO?? Sounds like he would send in a pawn and then behead if it didn't go well. Just an assumption and based on some of the threats I've read, a very much possible scenario.

I will give you an example.

I have quite an active 8 year old boy.

Three Karate classes on a Monday and two on a Wednesday and on the weekend him and I work out doing Kumité and Kata's together.

He dances twice a week and then still does sports at school, cricket, soccer, athletics or whatever the season.

He gets up in the morning to get ready for school, unlike his sister he doesn't really feel like eating.

When he gets to school he needs to perform at his best, and here I am referring to his mental alertness and his academic ability.

I often make him a a smoothie and he gets in much nutrition this way.

He is also very health conscious and actually scares me sometimes with what he does and does not allow himself to have, he thinks too much like an adult in this regard.

So my interpretation of my kids performing at their best, extends beyond their sporting abilities.

@Dangle.

Are you not also sponsored by USN? I recall a MTB events cover with you all dressed up in USN kit? How un-biased are you regarding this company?

I went to university with one of the models currently being used on some USN products and I personally know that the guy was totally jacked on roids. That alone put me off the whole USN product range.

[EDIT is for font size}

Edited by The Smoovf

Who was the spokesperson, surely not CEO?? Sounds like he would send in a pawn and then behead if it didn't go well. Just an assumption and based on some of the threats I've read, a very much possible scenario.

Nah, not the CEO. She was a representative of some sorts but didn't come across very well.

Posted this on Twitter:

Well worth a watch.

Nah, not the CEO. She was a representative of some sorts but didn't come across very well.

Posted this on Twitter:

Well worth a watch.

If that didn't put me off supplements then nothing will, I know our industry isn't well regulated but I was hoping it was a bit more advanced in the States... Evidently not!

If that didn't put me off supplements then nothing will, I know our industry isn't well regulated but I was hoping it was a bit more advanced in the States... Evidently not!

Yeah Sandro, pretty scary! Our regulations are actually a little more progressive than those in the States. They are nowhere near strict enough though and poorly enforced to boot.

Agreed - let the PR machine do it.

Personally I think the biggest issue is that at that age the kids are still growing and the stuff could hinder their physical development. I read somewhere (was probably on Thehub) that kids shouldn't be doing weight training until they are at least 16 as up until that age they are still growing...

yeah, that was me...a. while back!! Heard that personally from Prof Tim Noakes...

I wonder what his opinion will be on this topic????

Jarrad,

You clearly do have an issue with USN. Have you spoken to/ communicated with any other brand making similar products aimed at children from brands like Aspen, Cipla etc? Most likely not, because they are considered to be among some of the largest pharmaceutical brands that you as a doctor prescribe. Would going against them jeopardize your business? Most likely.

Instead, you take issue with brands in co-related industries that have no impact on your career. Rather, targeting the supplement industry means that you have a voice that can be heard without negative influence on your earnings. And you can openly use medium like Twitter to question, which is no doubt very good, but using a false name (Timmy Henman) instead of your own does mean that you are not quite credible enough. I also have'nt seen you taking on any other non-pharmaceutical supplement brands in the local supplement market, so you clearly have it in for USN.

There is a marketplace for children's supplementation. Sporty Kids is not the first product in this arena, and I'm sure that it wont be the last. I'm a parent, and between trying as far as possible to guarantee very good, solid nutritional practices for my child, I know there will be instances where it is not practical or reasonable to do so. Would I give her this product? ABSOLUTELY! No artificial flavourants, colourants or sweeteners sounds good. A small amount of brown sugar (colour is irrelevant) is a whole lot better than anything else. Parents fill their children up with soda's, milk shakes, take away's that when you break them down all of a sudden seem like poison compared to a product that is supposed to be used as required (no necessarily daily) - did you read the packaging, or are you listening to Dr Jon Patricious?

I agree that the supplement industry should be regulated, and this is another government failure from the MCC. however, there is more than enough practical application of supplementation to prove that this industry is beneficial. The fact is that the consumers/athletes demand quality from raw materials through to manufacture, and pharmaceutical labs offer QC protocols that cannot be matched in small private enterprise means that brands like USN and many others make use of GMP and MCC approved pharmaceutical labs for production. And it is here, more than anywhere where the risk of contamination is at its greatest. Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't happen at all, but it does happen unintentionally.

I follow a number of local brands on social media, and I know for a fact that brands like USN are working towards Informed Choice/ Sport registration with the HFL Sports Science labs in the UK, and I keep a keen eye on the industry locally an internationally. Have you ever asked to meet with the USN to discuss their testing protocols, QC measures etc, or are you going to continue on a vendetta with no real insight? It sounds like another SASMA fueled propaganda story to me! There are always two sides to every story, and if you are not going to actually engage in industry conversion, how do you expect to see any change?

If my business was under threat by a unknown troll on social media, I don't think I would be too happy either. How about you get in touch with the leading local and imported brands, open up doorways to have round table discussions and plan a way forward instead of slinging mud to advance your status with your peers?

Don't see this as an attack against you, see this as constructive criticism to actually change something.

Jarrad,

You clearly do have an issue with USN. Have you spoken to/ communicated with any other brand making similar products aimed at children from brands like Aspen, Cipla etc? Most likely not, because they are considered to be among some of the largest pharmaceutical brands that you as a doctor prescribe. Would going against them jeopardize your business? Most likely.

Instead, you take issue with brands in co-related industries that have no impact on your career. Rather, targeting the supplement industry means that you have a voice that can be heard without negative influence on your earnings. And you can openly use medium like Twitter to question, which is no doubt very good, but using a false name (Timmy Henman) instead of your own does mean that you are not quite credible enough. I also have'nt seen you taking on any other non-pharmaceutical supplement brands in the local supplement market, so you clearly have it in for USN.

There is a marketplace for children's supplementation. Sporty Kids is not the first product in this arena, and I'm sure that it wont be the last. I'm a parent, and between trying as far as possible to guarantee very good, solid nutritional practices for my child, I know there will be instances where it is not practical or reasonable to do so. Would I give her this product? ABSOLUTELY! No artificial flavourants, colourants or sweeteners sounds good. A small amount of brown sugar (colour is irrelevant) is a whole lot better than anything else. Parents fill their children up with soda's, milk shakes, take away's that when you break them down all of a sudden seem like poison compared to a product that is supposed to be used as required (no necessarily daily) - did you read the packaging, or are you listening to Dr Jon Patricious?

I agree that the supplement industry should be regulated, and this is another government failure from the MCC. however, there is more than enough practical application of supplementation to prove that this industry is beneficial. The fact is that the consumers/athletes demand quality from raw materials through to manufacture, and pharmaceutical labs offer QC protocols that cannot be matched in small private enterprise means that brands like USN and many others make use of GMP and MCC approved pharmaceutical labs for production. And it is here, more than anywhere where the risk of contamination is at its greatest. Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't happen at all, but it does happen unintentionally.

I follow a number of local brands on social media, and I know for a fact that brands like USN are working towards Informed Choice/ Sport registration with the HFL Sports Science labs in the UK, and I keep a keen eye on the industry locally an internationally. Have you ever asked to meet with the USN to discuss their testing protocols, QC measures etc, or are you going to continue on a vendetta with no real insight? It sounds like another SASMA fueled propaganda story to me! There are always two sides to every story, and if you are not going to actually engage in industry conversion, how do you expect to see any change?

If my business was under threat by a unknown troll on social media, I don't think I would be too happy either. How about you get in touch with the leading local and imported brands, open up doorways to have round table discussions and plan a way forward instead of slinging mud to advance your status with your peers?

Don't see this as an attack against you, see this as constructive criticism to actually change something.

a well thought out reply, however, the issue that most of have is how the founder of USN personally attacked someone. Regardless of your product's status, as a figurehead you dont do stupid **** like that

Jarrad,

3 posts? Seriously? And Dangle likes your post? sounds like a bunch of USN 8==D holders.

If you are affiliated with USN in ANY matter, your comment is irrelevant.

Edited by wheelerdealer

bla bla bla

bla bla bla

more drivel from a USN sponsored/employed/paid shill

Are you for real? Some ad hominem attacks and saying "Look! USN isn't the only one! Stop picking on poor old USN!" is the best you can come up with?

Maybe USN should have paid more for a professional to write the above reply.

Also: USN under threat by a question being asked on Twitter? Wow, must be a pretty shaky business if your business can be threatened by a simple question.

Have you ever asked to meet with the USN to discuss their testing protocols, QC measures etc, or are you going to continue on a vendetta with no real insight? It sounds like another SASMA fueled propaganda story to me! There are always two sides to every story, and if you are not going to actually engage in industry conversion, how do you expect to see any change?

Hardly a vendetta. If you followed this story, without bias, you would see that Jarrad merely asked some probing questions about the product (which is controversial, whatever way you look at it). In response, he was shot down, blocked on Twitter and threatened with legal action. Who is the one actually not engaging in the conversation?

Jarrad,

lol

3 posts? Seriously? And Dangle likes your post? sounds like a bunch of USN 8==D holders.

If you are affiliated with USN in ANY matter, your comment is irrelevant.

If you have an issue with me, speak to me directly.

Geddit ?

I have pm. if you would like my cell. number use the pm. function.

I like the post as he makes a rather valid point.