USN for Kids - Twitter war

Thorn199

Jarrad,

You clearly do have an issue with USN. Have you spoken to/ communicated with any other brand making similar products aimed at children from brands like Aspen, Cipla etc? Most likely not, because they are considered to be among some of the largest pharmaceutical brands that you as a doctor prescribe. Would going against them jeopardize your business? Most likely.

Instead, you take issue with brands in co-related industries that have no impact on your career. Rather, targeting the supplement industry means that you have a voice that can be heard without negative influence on your earnings. And you can openly use medium like Twitter to question, which is no doubt very good, but using a false name (Timmy Henman) instead of your own does mean that you are not quite credible enough. I also have'nt seen you taking on any other non-pharmaceutical supplement brands in the local supplement market, so you clearly have it in for USN.

There is a marketplace for children's supplementation. Sporty Kids is not the first product in this arena, and I'm sure that it wont be the last. I'm a parent, and between trying as far as possible to guarantee very good, solid nutritional practices for my child, I know there will be instances where it is not practical or reasonable to do so. Would I give her this product? ABSOLUTELY! No artificial flavourants, colourants or sweeteners sounds good. A small amount of brown sugar (colour is irrelevant) is a whole lot better than anything else. Parents fill their children up with soda's, milk shakes, take away's that when you break them down all of a sudden seem like poison compared to a product that is supposed to be used as required (no necessarily daily) - did you read the packaging, or are you listening to Dr Jon Patricious?

I agree that the supplement industry should be regulated, and this is another government failure from the MCC. however, there is more than enough practical application of supplementation to prove that this industry is beneficial. The fact is that the consumers/athletes demand quality from raw materials through to manufacture, and pharmaceutical labs offer QC protocols that cannot be matched in small private enterprise means that brands like USN and many others make use of GMP and MCC approved pharmaceutical labs for production. And it is here, more than anywhere where the risk of contamination is at its greatest. Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't happen at all, but it does happen unintentionally.

I follow a number of local brands on social media, and I know for a fact that brands like USN are working towards Informed Choice/ Sport registration with the HFL Sports Science labs in the UK, and I keep a keen eye on the industry locally an internationally. Have you ever asked to meet with the USN to discuss their testing protocols, QC measures etc, or are you going to continue on a vendetta with no real insight? It sounds like another SASMA fueled propaganda story to me! There are always two sides to every story, and if you are not going to actually engage in industry conversion, how do you expect to see any change?

If my business was under threat by a unknown troll on social media, I don't think I would be too happy either. How about you get in touch with the leading local and imported brands, open up doorways to have round table discussions and plan a way forward instead of slinging mud to advance your status with your peers?

Don't see this as an attack against you, see this as constructive criticism to actually change something.

Yup, just ask Chilliboy and Bjorn Basson. Epic fail at the highest level from USN almost cost them their careers.

Anyway, i don't like the brand due to fake marketing (someone mentioned the roid monkey models and I can confirm it) which means i'm biased and thus have no right to comment smile.png

Edited by Lamber

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly a vendetta. If you followed this story, without bias, you would see that Jarrad merely asked some probing questions about the product (which is controversial, whatever way you look at it). In response, he was shot down, blocked on Twitter and threatened with legal action. Who is the one actually not engaging in the conversation?

There are ways and means to get to actually engage in conversion. A simple request or phone call would have most likely been met with a positive response.

There are ways and means to get to actually engage in conversion. A simple request or phone call would have most likely been met with a positive response.

Pretty obvious. Nobody likes it when people ask questions publicly.

For the record, I like this. (but refuse to tap that icon)

I don't know you from a bar of soap, neither could I give a hoot what people think of USN or any other supplement on the planet.

Bottom line, a simple phone call or perhaps even a meeting could have cleared up much concern.

And no embarrassing questions need ever see the light of day! You, sir, are truly one of the luminary minds of our generation! Why they didn't get you to organize the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is beyond me.

The fact that the USN CEO responded in the way he did is the issue. Only someone with something to hide would respond in the fashion he did.

I will give you an example.

I have quite an active 8 year old boy.

Three Karate classes on a Monday and two on a Wednesday and on the weekend him and I work out doing Kumité and Kata's together.

He dances twice a week and then still does sports at school, cricket, soccer, athletics or whatever the season.

He gets up in the morning to get ready for school, unlike his sister he doesn't really feel like eating.

When he gets to school he needs to perform at his best, and here I am referring to his mental alertness and his academic ability.

I often make him a a smoothie and he gets in much nutrition this way.

He is also very health conscious and actually scares me sometimes with what he does and does not allow himself to have, he thinks too much like an adult in this regard.

So my interpretation of my kids performing at their best, extends beyond their sporting abilities.

So does your boy use the supplements from USN (or any other supplement brand)? If not, will you consider it?

(not flaming, just asking your opinion)

The post does raise a valid point, everything aside is forthright and constructive.

For me I believe Jarrad raised some valid questions, unfortunately the way it was done to provoke reaction leaves a lot to be desired.

This kind of post below is irrelevant.

"If you are affiliated with USN in ANY matter, your comment is irrelevant."

Pretty obvious. Nobody likes it when people ask questions publicly.

It's really immature to ask questions publicly on a platform such as twitter where word count is extremely limited.

Someone actually tweeted during this whole fun and games that if one was to post the details of direct messages, then their credibility has gone with it.

To be very honest, some of the other tweet peeps made it look very much like a vendetta with tweets such a @702 USN CEO bullies little guy.

@GarethCliff USN CEO bullies ..........

And so it went on, yeah I must say, a real mature way about it.

Care to provide the preferred, official, channels for 'engagement , whether by past customer, current customer, potential customers, concerned parents, researchers, critiques & nay-sayers? or should this be via registered mail, with a self addressed stamped envelope included?

I assume yes-men are welcome to play disciple on whichever platform they like to?

Just note that since USN elected to play on a public platform (twitter, etc), USN & spokes people should be willing to take whatever is coming their way on those platforms, whether they like it or not...

Too many 'nutricionists' playing around without a proper degree in dietics, or any medical background for that matter. It is always the 'nutrucionists' getting aggro when confronted, never the dieticians registered as RDs ..

The post does raise a valid point, everything aside is forthright and constructive.

For me I believe Jarrad raised some valid questions, unfortunately the way it was done to provoke reaction leaves a lot to be desired.

I liked your post and I am very sorry.

USN is a marketing company. The CEO deserves his cash and no one should hold gripe with him in that respect. He has done a very good job at fooling the market and he is reaping the reward. Congratulations.

As far as supplements for kids go, I think its a load of nonsense. This world has become totally corrupted with fast food this and quick fix that. Kids need to learn about the basic food groups and recognize that processed food isn't good for you. I understand that some kids like Dangle mentioned have issues with getting down normal food and perhaps there is an argument for supplements in that respect. I still think that is dangerous because you are not teaching your kids what normal food is or about.

As for adults, I feel sorry for people who take down factory made shakes over good wholesome delicious food. What a waste of your life.

Edited by Zula

Yes

It's really immature to ask questions publicly on a platform such as twitter where word count is extremely limited.

Someone actually tweeted during this whole fun and games that if one was to post the details of direct messages, then their credibility has gone with it.

To be very honest, some of the other tweet peeps made it look very much like a vendetta with tweets such a @702 USN CEO bullies little guy.

@GarethCliff USN CEO bullies ..........

And so it went on, yeah I must say, a real mature way about it.

Wow, gotta get myself sponsored by USN! Seems one of the unintended consequences is that I'll stop noticing irony.