Riding technical rocky stuff on your MTB - how to survive a marathon?

Audible Anarchy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3) What is the trick to riding both up, down and to be honest, even along those kind of trails ? i battled to even walk along the freakin things! hahaha

4) The greek loop at the end i found not quite so rocky , but freakin steep - any tips for next time?

3) One trick for rocky uphills is to get out of the saddle. You're then less susceptible to the bike throwing you off balance, because your body is most of the weight and you can just muscle the bike around underneath you.

4) Steepness is often mostly just practice. Find a challenging section that you can't do and ride it by yourself, four or five times, try different things to see what works. Watch what others do, ask them what they did.

Groenkloof/Fountains in Pta has some excellent practice stuff. Northern Farm has a few good singletrack bits, if you know where to look. Go with mates who know the routes.

Edited by Zook

Audible Anarchy, where do you usually ride or train on your MTB?

i live on the spruit in parkhurst, odd ride out towards cradle side with cycle lab 4 ways. ride mostly road.

i live on the spruit in parkhurst, odd ride out towards cradle side with cycle lab 4 ways. ride mostly road.

I stay on the spruit near Fratelli. So just let me know if you would like to go on a technical ride along The Spruit.

And before any wise cracks from the peanut gallery... Yes there is technical if you look carefully. If you don't believe me you are welcome to try and follow me...

One of my little lessons with those rocky descents - a bit less tire pressure would have possibly helped a bit ? Rode a lot harder this time around and felt like I was being flung around more than usual and had far less control on my bike. Hence more walking down the steeper more technical bits.

Is it a better option to just deflate your tires for this kind of terrain? I was glad for the pressure on the second half of the track - was more fast and free flowing.

Couple of things... just some pointers basically, use it/don't use it whistling.gif

1. Make sure you have your bike setup properly, I'm talking bike size, stem length, bar width, and especially the cockpit setup...

2. Learn how to brake with one finger so you can use the other 4 to grip

3. A DS 26" bike is way better as a "first" bike to learn technical riding, as it will give you much better confidence, and performs much better in tight, steep, loose and uneven places

4. You will fall off, a crash every now and then is just part of the sport

5. Suspension setup is important, sag and tire pressure play a big role

6. Maybe invest in a good pair of flats, and a good quality pair of flats shoes like FiveTen Minnaars or Sam Hill's

7. Ride with other riders better than you

8. Technical riding is super fun if it's your thing... you either like it, or you don't... but it's not as impossible as you might think at the moment...

9. Just enjoy it, go at your own pace, push yourself a bit at a time, let the confidence build...

PS> when it comes to real technical mtb'ing, then road experience does not count as much as one would think , it's a very very different cattle of fish....

Edited by TheV

One of my little lessons with those rocky descents - a bit less tire pressure would have possibly helped a bit ? Rode a lot harder this time around and felt like I was being flung around more than usual and had far less control on my bike. Hence more walking down the steeper more technical bits.

Is it a better option to just deflate your tires for this kind of terrain? I was glad for the pressure on the second half of the track - was more fast and free flowing.

Yes up to a point cause you do run the risk of hurting your rims at low pressure on terrain like that. Rather stick with what you are used to. I pick routes depending on what training I want to do. Familiarize yourself with these and mix it up.

Base miles....van gaalens to breedts..up and over and back, cradle loops... Not fun but it isn't what it is there for

Technical...Van gaalens, thaba trails, kingskloof

Just having a blast....rietvlei, van gaalens, kingskloof, northern farms

Climbing....breedtsnek hill repeats, suikerbosrand

Edited by rouxtjie

thanks guys, good advice all round - so now that i know what i have to do to improve on the technical stuff how do i pick races that suit my current level of ability? To be honest racing and fast times are why i race a road bike, i just like the MTB for the scenery and relaxed vibe, leaving the heartrate monitor at home and not worrying about results ,seeding etc....

But in the same breathe i want to do events where i can at least ride most of the route! ive seen some trails are graded like at the bike park in 4 ways and kings kloof for example - is there a race difficulty rating? is it safe to assume the marathons are more technical than say the half marathons? should i stick to the half marathon events until i can nail trails like kings kloof,van gaalens and thaba trails in practice?

i managed most of the sections during the race on sat e.g. that first climb from the dual concrete - just those hardcore super rocky ones i really battled with.

Edited by Audible Anarchy

thanks guys, good advice all round - so now that i know what i have to do to improve on the technical stuff how do i pick races that suit my current level of ability? To be honest racing and fast times are why i race a road bike, i just like the MTB for the scenery and relaxed vibe, leaving the heartrate monitor at home and not worrying about results ,seeding etc....

But in the same breathe i want to do events where i can at least ride most of the route! ive seen some trails are graded like at the bike park in 4 ways and kings kloof for example - is there a race difficulty rating? is it safe to assume the marathons are more technical than say the half marathons? should i stick to the half marathon events until i can nail trails like kings kloof,van gaalens and thaba trails in practice?

i managed most of the sections during the race on sat e.g. that first climb from the dual concrete - just those hardcore super rocky ones i really battled with.

Let me tell you, this was the hardest 70km I have ever ridden, (i have done Sani2C twice)- I was in A batch and most of the riders were walking the technical downhill after the Telkom site, I tried to ride it (my technical ability is likely above average) and I went over the handlebar twice....then resorted to walking (i did the race in 4 hours).

Keep your head up and try other races!!!!!

Core is key!

The stronger the core - the faster you will be able to correct.

Only up to a point - skill is something you will have to work on.

My biggest tip would be - carry momentum and RELAX! Easier said than done i know but it makes a big difference especially on the up.

Practice Practice Practice... Recently been hitting Groenkloof nature reserve for some training sessions, and i must say it pays off.

@Vinnydabutcher - Completely agree with strong core! Helps alot with stability!

My advice for the hills, look up - mark a track and JUST DO IT!

Enjoying the advice on this thread... makes me want to go straight back to VG and give it a go AGAIN!

If you are new to mountain biking it may be a good idea to book yourself onto one of the Tread Skills Clinics, they are in the Gauteng area. I did Intermediate 1 and 2 with my son recently and in 2 we were going down some drop offs that I would not have considered riding before.

Dont be too hard on yourself. Even Burry Stander had troubles on the uphill rocky section @ the olympics

Indeed. But let that be a reminder to all.... anticipate the gear you will need to use when you approach something, especially an uphill rocky bit. I'm not one to talk, but others will have more experience in that and will know what I'm referring to.