DO I HAVE SUFFICIENT ILLUMINATION ON MY BIKE?

Lucky Fish

I am extremely safety conscious. I'll be participating the the Johannesburg Critical Mass ride tomorrow evening and I need opinions on whether I have sufficient lights on my bike. Attached is a picture showing the 2 Exposure Maxx D lights that I fitted to my recently restored bike. I am also contemplating fitting a light to my helmet. What do you think?

post-9640-0-13764200-1351149136_thumb.jpg

Edited by "V"

Don't worry about brakes, as long as you can see what you're going to ride into you'll be fine...ohmy.png

The lack of brakes in a concern.

Brakes are for people who want to stop or are scared of the speed they are doing.

"V" isn't either of those.

This was posted in gest, of course. I used these lights on my mountain bike in a 24 hour race. Fellow competitors complained that when I caught up with them the lights were so bright (900 lumens each) that the shadow cast by their body was so dark that they could not see where they were going until I passed. A bit of excess has never hurt anybody.

Brakes? My signature indicates my opinion on this matter: 'I don't give a damn for a person that stares at a red traffic light when it is perfectly safe to proceed.' (I have one brake (fixie) on the bike but I don't want to spoil the minimalism of the bike.) You're welcome to flame me now!

Regards. Johan

Johan, what lights are those?

I think he got them from the City Of Cape Town that used them for illuminating Table Mountain during the pre-Eishkom era when electricity was cheap and in oversupplywink.png .

Johan, what lights are those?

Exposure Maxx D. I bought them in 2010 from Tour de Frans at R4500 each. The lights cost me 13 times than the bike (before the new paint job). I am sure that you can, these days, find less expensive lights for the same price.

Johan

What about your rear tail light. That's way more NB.

Most people have nice front lights but a small tail light.