Road racing wheels

FrancoisO

Now all we need to revive ths thread is for JB to see the thread and .....

Whooopah !!!! 25 pages of posts !!!LOL (all very informative of course, but not necessarily all very "informed" Wink)
racman2008-01-24 06:18:22

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So to summarise for those newbie roadies amongst us (myself included).

Deep section rims 40mm & greater are far superior in terms of rolling resistance and handling than normal road wheels (ie Ksyrium's).

Allied to that tubbies on those deep sections are superior than clinchers.

Yay or Nay ?

There is lots of argument about the rolling resistance of tyres. There are some test data from Conti showing that clinchers have less rolling resistance than tubbies when inflated to the same pressure. The test states that tubby rolling resistance decreade with increased pressure, but does not show any numbers.  the bottom line is that tubbies will not give a lower rolling resistance compared to clinchers. The biggest difference is less weight.

Christie2008-01-24 06:19:03

I read the same report on the rolling resistance with Tubular vs Clicher, and yes, clincher came out top...

Apart from the weight, i ofter go riding and leave my back-up car at home, which therefore makes the clincher a more practical option :)

what about tubeless road wheels? I now only use tubelss on the MTB. To be honest, they are great when they work (no flats), but when they don't you wish you had never spent the R540 on each tyre...

I weigh 63kg... I felt an immediate difference when I put zipp 404's on... was so ridiculous it was actually scary... Never once had a big problem with cross winds and I raced them in some of the strongest cross winds in Cape Town...

same here....have easton tempest II carbons.....raced with them the past two weekends in howling wind...cross winds did not bother me a bit except the part where I went down ou kaapse weg and a sudden gale force wind around the corner took me off the bike...but that would have happend withput the wheels too!!

• 13 years later...

Thanks for all the replies, tubbies or clinchers.  I know the tubby wheels are normally lighter, but how easy can a tubby climb off the rim?

They don't climb off the rim is glued properly.

I weigh 103 kg am not fat and had a set of Equinox carbons. Very nice. Rolled smoothly etc. but I just wonder if all the hype about carbon wheels is really justified. I think a lot of it is fashion but what is wrong with a good set of ally wheels? We never got the multitude of broken rims being offered for sale needing repair, on ally wheels. If you fancy you are A budding Chris Froome looking for a few seconds in a 40 km. ride and can afford the top aero carbons then spend your money otherwise it is just not worth it. Just my opinion. Many will object.

Leuscher Technik cuts open bike frames longitudinally and we find that the brands asking for the price of a second mortgage on the house are mostly just brand bragging. They usually don't stand up to close examination and the established brands like Trek, Specialized, Giant and several others are often better made. We are often just being bu....sh...d.