another attack on mtb

3000V6

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another horrible story coming out of Gauteng, very sorry to hear about the rider. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I visit family in GP a few times a year. Have never taken a bike up with me - too nervous for that. I don't know how you're supposed to keep motivated training alone there, with constant stories like this.

Some parts of the CT area don't sound much better. Sad stuff.

Where in SA can one still walk and ride the roads and byways without the fear of mugging or hijack lurking in the back of your mind?

Dolphin coast - Zululand region. I feel safer on my own out in the mountains behind Ballito than on the main roads around town. Like the little kids who run out of their huts to run alongside me, shouting and laughing for the Mlungu to go faster, sometimes getting a high-five from them. And even when going past a group of local Zulu men on a path between homesteads or sugarcane field - nothing but friendly greetings and asking me how I'm doing and where I've come from. The kids are the best though - even if they're up high on a hill above me, I still can hear the distant shouts of greeting and I make sure I yell back my greetings in return.

I was at the Umhlali police station a couple of months back and when chatting to the cop behind the desk I asked him how many bike jackings they've had recently. He said they've never had one ever reported.

I agree Mapa..Work of the devil.Don't ride alone on those roads..but I refuse that fear stop me from biking.. Couple of us did that route next to the railway last saturday.. Muddy it was. But the robbers wait for those easy targets.. the alone riders. Hope the rider gets well soon an make it to the epic finish line.. Good luck.

the problem is one I am the only mountain biker where I stay...I live in Ga-rankuwa, I explore alone there lots of technical track around . I wish to find cycling buddies in Pretoria north Akasia side.if you from there please halla at me.

Another horrible story coming out of Gauteng, very sorry to hear about the rider. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I visit family in GP a few times a year. Have never taken a bike up with me - too nervous for that. I don't know how you're supposed to keep motivated training alone there, with constant stories like this.

Some parts of the CT area don't sound much better. Sad stuff.

The majority of Pretoria is safe to ride at (if you disregard the traffic hazards). It's mostly that area of Irene/Centurion that has a very bad reputation.

The majority of Pretoria is safe to ride at (if you disregard the traffic hazards). It's mostly that area of Irene/Centurion that has a very bad reputation.

And the Midrand area it seems

location of the incident and more detail would be useful .....

From what I can gather, in the article it says it was on the Jeep track by the railroad. Next to the N1 in Centurion is the jeeptrack/railroad and that's where a lot of the hijackings have taken place. The guys park on the koppie and can see when mtb'ers are on their way.

Search on Google maps for -25.864823,28.223491 , the track/railroad is just east of Main road.

And the Midrand area it seems

Well Midrand is not really in Pretoria, but this wasn't too far away.

Dolphin coast - Zululand region. I feel safer on my own out in the mountains behind Ballito than on the main roads around town. Like the little kids who run out of their huts to run alongside me, shouting and laughing for the Mlungu to go faster, sometimes getting a high-five from them. And even when going past a group of local Zulu men on a path between homesteads or sugarcane field - nothing but friendly greetings and asking me how I'm doing and where I've come from. The kids are the best though - even if they're up high on a hill above me, I still can hear the distant shouts of greeting and I make sure I yell back my greetings in return.

I was at the Umhlali police station a couple of months back and when chatting to the cop behind the desk I asked him how many bike jackings they've had recently. He said they've never had one ever reported.

You make me wanna pack my bags and move there ...

the problem is one I am the only mountain biker where I stay...I live in Ga-rankuwa, I explore alone there lots of technical track around . I wish to find cycling buddies in Pretoria north Akasia side.if you from there please halla at me.

A bit far from me (I'm in the Moot area) but maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime.

Magalies is pretty quiet, no issues here (although household robbery and dog poisionings are on the up here), but at the end of the day I suppose its just a question of time. I see plenty of riders around here on weekends with fancy bikes and gear and I suppose the affirmative shoppers will move out to these areas as well in time, especially as the cops have a large area to cover out here and there are many dirt roads in and out so the oddds on getting caught are slim!

Received this in my mailbox dated 16 November (I was away from it since Thursday):

"My vriend is gistermiddag ge-bike-jack. Op jeep track vanaf treinspoor rigting suid oppad na Nelmapuis/Cornwall Hill (snelweg se kant). Hulle het ewe ge-side-step dat hy kan verbykom, hom met baksteen agter kop geslaan – 2 van hulle. Slaap, slaap anders gaan ons jou doodmaak in afrikaans. Toe 28 keer met skroewe draaier gesteek in sy skouer en bene, bene met bakstene geslaan dat hy hulle nie kan volg, gewrigte en enkels met draad vasgebind. Fiets gevat, selfoon gevat .. gelukkig het ander mountain biker op hom afgekom.

Hy leef, maar kan julle dink die trauma wat hy en sy vrou deurgaan. Omtrent half uur later is sy selfoon getrace in Tembisa – lyk of hulle op trein gespring het met fiets.

Fiets is ‘n nuwe 2013 Scott Spark 910 soft tail (29 inch), Specialized saal, agter Geax band, voor Maxxis Ikon band. Lang krap op top tube, linker handle bar duidelike duik in as easy grip wegdruk, agterste triangle van raam het merke op waar gaiters verf afgeskaaf het. Jammer dis nie veel om op te gaan nie.

Kan julle asb soveel moontlik mense laat weet."