• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How pathetic is this?

KES pupils banned for doping

Mon, 19 Nov 2012 8:36 AM

EmailMore

Article By: Mbali Sibanyoni, EWN

The King Edward VII School in Johannesburg on Sunday confirmed it had banned three pupils from participating in sporting activities, after the boys confessed to using performance enhancing drugs.

The Gauteng Department of Education said the matter came to light when a parent reported to have found a syringe in her son's bag to the school.

The department's Charles Phahlane said as a result 10 other pupils have also undergone doping tests.

"These things are serious and we view it in a very serious light.

"The school has regular programmes to test their athletes for abuse of substances.

"We do try to address it so it doesn’t become a problem."

You are so right - it is pathetic, but the problem starts with their role models who get away with it. Many times (apparently not this time) parents suspect or know about this, but turn a blind eye because the child excells in his discipline and it boosts their egos.

In my opinion, the medical risks using the drugs reason are important, but more so the ethics and dishonesty (cheating) that they learn to live by - maybe it is the culture of corruption and deceit that we live in today?

Man I hated school. Would have hated it even more with this type of stuff going on. We thought we were hard core raiding our dads liqueur cabinets on a Friday night.

Seriously though, you can't just blame the parents. Has no one come across a decent average family with one kid on the straight and narrow doing well and the brother or sister living on the streets of Hillbrow? It happens. You do your best and the offspring make their own plans a lot of the time.

In my opinion, the medical risks using the drugs reason are important, but more so the ethics and dishonesty (cheating) that they learn to live by - maybe it is the culture of corruption and deceit that we live in today?

Yeah, I bet you'll find the parents have a ****you jack attitude and are quite prepared to lie and cheat as well.

Seriously though, you can't just blame the parents.

Seriously though, the blame lies squarely at the parents feet. As long as I pay for my kids and they live under my roof, it's my responsibility to teach them to do the right thing.

Seriously though, the blame lies squarely at the parents feet. As long as I pay for my kids and they live under my roof, it's my responsibility to teach them to do the right thing.

Then by that logic no one is responsible for anything they do wrong because it is the parents that should have been teaching them to do the right thing. And you cannot blame the parents either because their parents obviously didn't teach them to do the right thing with their children and so on and so on.

I am not saying that parents don't have a huge role to play. Of course they do. I'm just saying it is not so simple and cut and dried. I accept full responsibility for the bad things and mistakes I have done even as a child. We cannot let the kids off saying that it is the parents to blame. A 15 year old knows right from wrong. Seriously

Edited by HappyMartin

With all these confessions and people getting caught out, who is NOT doping? I'm not a winner or big performer, but after a stint of good training and rest I perform well- I wonder what my friends think/thought of me...

Quite a few of my cycling buddies never accept that a start rider at our races has natural physical prowess...

Sports teams across all codes should not be offering U23's contracts. There would be no pressure on them getting a sponsorship while in school. Kids would have to get a tertiary education before pursuing sport as a profession. If your aim is to pursue sport after varsity then major in a sports subject so when you cant compete anymore you do not become a has been jock/ette having to resort to presenting. We can nurture coaches and supporting staff for the future. We would not exhaust our athletes before 30 thereby having longer careers. Does sports studies even discuss anti- doping and consequences. Look at how young our athletes are competing professionally. Why wouldnt you do anything to be able to compete for your country at 19, having girls fall at your feet, grown men worship you, be able to buy anything you want. As I see it the pro's far outweigh the cons in today's society and we allow it. Kids are so impressionable today its hard to fault them. YES, it is the fault of parents and teachers alike. We want to give our kids the best education possible but if we are aware of these practices at school we should not even be sending our kids to those schools. I as a parent would not subject my child to such practices or throw him to the mercy of these sharks. When I started cycling at junior level even then just popping a Sinutab for sinusitis was a no no because of fear of getting tested for a banned substance like ephidrine or codeine.

doping is similar to cheating on your girlfriend / wife. In essence it is selfish, unfair and just downright f*#-up, but still many people that you know do it and will keep on doing it.

not long ago i've heard of a guy that went so far he even injected his racing pigeons with pigeon steroids in order to win a competition. I mean seriously!!!

If SA Rugby covered up doping what do you expect? Anyone remember the Pierre Spies "hereditary disease"; which cleared up miraculously. SARU was tipped off that he tested positive and it was all swept under the carpet. So he was withdrawn from that World cup squad because of some "hereditary disorder" of some sort, so that he could "live to fight another day" so to speak. This is one of the worst kept secrets. The point is this that if they (SARU) weren't prepared to make an example of a top star, what example is that to the up and coming Spies's at high school?

??? Whaaat???

You mean to say all those 1000's of prayers by the faithfull Blue Bulls fans for a miracle cure did not work???

And he simply cleaned up??? Go figure...

doping is similar to cheating on your girlfriend / wife. In essence it is selfish, unfair and just downright f*#-up, but still many people that you know do it and will keep on doing it.

not long ago i've heard of a guy that went so far he even injected his racing pigeons with pigeon steroids in order to win a competition. I mean seriously!!!

Not really, its a lot easier than cheating on the wife, and far les admin involved

Seriously though, the blame lies squarely at the parents feet. As long as I pay for my kids and they live under my roof, it's my responsibility to teach th

Then by that logic no one is responsible for anything they do wrong because it is the parents that should have been teaching them to do the right thing. And you cannot blame the parents either because their parents obviously didn't teach them to do the right thing with their children and so on and so on.

I am not saying that parents don't have a huge role to play. Of course they do. I'm just saying it is not so simple and cut and dried. I accept full responsibility for the bad things and mistakes I have done even as a child. We cannot let the kids off saying that it is the parents to blame. A 15 year old knows right from wrong. Seriously

Yes I Agree with Happy Martin but would like to add that as parent I can discuss the issue with my child and give my perspective on the subject,point out the pro and cons but unfortunately the child child will still do as he likes and makes his own decisions. Unless you guard him like a hawk .... you can only hope he respects your ideas enough to give up his own. Or if you lucky sees it the way you sees it.