Doping at school level...

Eldron

. I have never stumbled across drugs and My legs are tiiiirreeeeeddddd!! :-)

Meh, even with drugs, your legs still get sore and tired.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 cousins who play/have played for Paarl Gymnasium's first team rugby. According to them, they're school has a strict anti-steroid and doping policy and regulations. However, they say that in other schools it's relatively easy to get hold of steroids, in fact, in some cases the coaches encourage the use of it! Disgusting!

That had me thinking, at junior (u/18) and under-23 level it is very competitive and sponsorship is sought after. Many upcoming youngsters have cycling fixed as their career choice and because of this securing a sponsorship is extremely important. I think that in some cases the level of tough competition might pressure some youngsters into different measures of 'developing talent'. This is a cruel and vicious circle and as of yet we've been lucky to see no reported cases and I hope it stays that way. It may sound ridiculous, but I think u/18 and u/23 riders must be monitored as well, not just the elites.

Every school will claim to have a strict anti-doping policy.

I'm all for professional and elite athletes receiving lifetime bans but unsure what sanction would be appropriate for a school kid. I know you're pretty mature and know what you are doing at that age but we've all done stoopid stuff when we were younger.

My son is in the best rugby school in the country. GREY COLLEGE BLOEMFONTEIN! ( We can maybe debate this in another forum later)

You have fathers who are chasing their shattered sports dreams through their sons.

These lighties are pushed to the limits.

They are huge physical specimens.

I am not talking only about Grey but all your SA top rugby schools.

I have often wondered if any of these kids are being allowed to use steroids. Probably with their fathers consent.

I dont know if y'all recently read in the press that some schools are paying first team players salaries and performance bonuses . That is mightly shocking. When I was at school we were useless at rugby. The Dutchie schools used to destroy us. But we were kids and loved it.

Last week their was a post on cell ph been kept between your legs while driving - now kids already needing "performance enhancing drugs" maybe the population will stop exploding! What sport are we talking?

You okes' live under a rock or something?

From Carte Blanche 2006 ( episode featuring one of thehubsa's very own...):

Until a few weeks ago this boy, whom we will call 'Pieter', was in Grade 11 at a top Pretoria school, trying to make it into the first rugby team. Then, a fellow player offered him what he thought was a new kind of supplement.

'Pieter': 'He said it was a supplement that would bulk us up by year end and that it would be ideal for the S.A. Schools next year. So I bought the pills from him for R200.'

But the pills were in fact anabolic steroids.

http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/Article.aspx?Id=3178&ShowId=1

You think your kid is safe?

Try again...

You okes' live under a rock or something?

From Carte Blanche 2006 ( episode featuring one of thehubsa's very own...):

Until a few weeks ago this boy, whom we will call 'Pieter', was in Grade 11 at a top Pretoria school, trying to make it into the first rugby team. Then, a fellow player offered him what he thought was a new kind of supplement.

'Pieter': 'He said it was a supplement that would bulk us up by year end and that it would be ideal for the S.A. Schools next year. So I bought the pills from him for R200.'

But the pills were in fact anabolic steroids.

http://beta.mnet.co....d=3178&ShowId=1

You think your kid is safe?

Try again...

Dont buy his story,

He must have known, Just saying that to try save face..

Kind of what I'm doing with a fake profile. It really isn't something to be proud of.

But I agree, your kids are far from safe.

Edited by Undercover Guy

Dont buy his story,

Buy it or not, read the whole story, and see what these sh1thead kids and parents get involved in.

blush.png

It's true, bro, you just get to the finish quicker, but you hurt just as much... (maybe more...)

It's true, bro, you just get to the finish quicker, but you hurt just as much... (maybe more...)

Also has a lot to do with perceived effort and recovery time.

Also has a lot to do with perceived effort and recovery time.

No, it has to do with being able to push yourself beyond what your body was designed to do.

Have you raced on dope before?

I doped, Coach was fine with it. Turned my life around now, stupidest mistake I've ever made. Even considered starting an anti doping organisation that speaks to schools and who ever else may benefit from it.

The implications go far beyond just the health risk.

Family & friends suffer because you are not yourself. Emotionally it screws you up so bad.

I think you have alot to offer in terms of experience and motivating people to stay away from this crap.

I remember there was a dude at school with me that used steroids to bulk up for body building.

Chatted to him once he realised that it was stuffing him up. I remember he had serious anger issues whilst on roids. He also stuffed his body builder body up with stretch marks from bulking up too fast.

Apparently his chick left him cause he couldnt get a woody. All he could say was that it was a massive mistake.

Afrikaans okes don't need roids.. It's for the Souties

Seriously though, this is nothing new in school sport

If SA Rugby covered up doping what do you expect? Anyone remember the Pierre Spies "hereditary disease"; which cleared up miraculously. SARU was tipped off that he tested positive and it was all swept under the carpet. So he was withdrawn from that World cup squad because of some "hereditary disorder" of some sort, so that he could "live to fight another day" so to speak. This is one of the worst kept secrets. The point is this that if they (SARU) weren't prepared to make an example of a top star, what example is that to the up and coming Spies's at high school?

Just some food for thought, I wonder how many Hubbers, if any have read this fred that are currently doping.