Racing ralp or Maxi Icon tyres?

tunariaan

thanx gents, some mixed opinions on here

so what i make out here is maxis grip are not too good and the racing ralph roll better

I have maxis on my scale but sometimes it feels like its not the best rolling tyre

but it's a very strong tyre

Do any of you know the weight comparing the 2 ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so what i make out here is maxis grip are not too good and the racing ralph roll better

I have maxis on my scale but sometimes it feels like its not the best rolling tyre

Ikon is 580g vs RR 620g

Personally I think the only way they get rid of them is when bike shops try sell " light bikes" (RR) every new bike I got I changed first to maxis now ikons perfect balance between light/durable and handling. Everyone knows RR puncture for nothing

super happy with my racing ralphs

raced 6 months on that tyre in front

very good on the rocky stuff - high volume

648g snakeskin 29.2.25

Edited by Summit bikes

I have a Racing Ralph on the rear and I'm happy - roll resistance is good and sheds mud relatively well

I ride with racing ralph's, but made sure I bought the snakeskins. Also went 2.25 - best width for that tyre.

Never had a moment's problem, absolutely love those tyres.

And they're well known for how fast they are.

As karma said, they're very soft compound so look after them - never let them get near tar.

Gents i can make up my mind about these 2 tyre brands for a 29 er

Is the ralp a better rolling tyre than the maxi and is it as strong?

Also trying to keep the weight of the bike as low as possible

It will be used on a hard tail and at a competitive level

Thanks for your advice

Schwalbe Rocket Rons = crap, only good for training and thin as paper.

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs = good stuff (but be sure to get the Snakeskin version with stronger sidewall, as that is the tyre your mates used at the Epic. The same tyre Karl Plat and Stefan Sahm rode in their numerous Epic victories.

Maxxis is also good, and will last you longer than the Schwalbe.

But remember any tyre can cut, so ride smart and clever lines to avoid cuts.

Personally I think the only way they get rid of them is when bike shops try sell " light bikes" (RR) every new bike I got I changed first to maxis now ikons perfect balance between light/durable and handling. Everyone knows RR puncture for nothing

What is your RR?

Remember the difference between Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph. Rocket Rons are the junk ones. Ralphs are good.

What is your RR?

Remember the difference between Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph. Rocket Rons are the junk ones. Ralphs are good.

That is absolute nonsense.

Both Ron and Ralph are great.

Can't wait for Ron's to be available in SS soon.

Used to run a Ralph on rear and Ron on front, great combo.

That is absolute nonsense.

Both Ron and Ralph are great.

Can't wait for Ron's to be available in SS soon.

Used to run a Ralph on rear and Ron on front, great combo.

Ralphs are great.

If you ride Ron's, and never have any puncture issues, you are either (a) extremely lucky, or (B) have saneskin versions which i doubt you get here..

Which is it?

Ralphs are great.

If you ride Ron's, and never have any puncture issues, you are either (a) extremely lucky, or (cool.png have saneskin versions which i doubt you get here..

Which is it?

I know how to take the correct lines tongue.png

That's why I say, that I cant wait for the SS version of Ron...

Edited by Karma

I replaced my Conti tyres with Racing Ralphs. First ride I punctured. Second ride punctured. Thereafter I had sporadic punctures until I took the things off. For some or other reason the sealant (Stans) would not seal the holes. IMO Racing Ralphs are crap. My Conti tyres never gave me problems.

I'm sitting in exactly the same boat!!

RR are quite light...but two things...(1) That fron tyre does not grip well on hardpack...so much so, thta I've lost a bit of my mojo going into corners! Previously I had Conti Mountain kings up front, and perhaps that thad taught me bad habits about cornering (just throw all in...you cannot slide out on those babies!!)

(2) Tried to convert the RR to tubeless...successful on the back tyre...but damne me..the front one just does not want to seal up!! Weeks now and plenty of extra sealant (STANS + OKO + whatever else I could get my grubby paws on!)

I have also found that with the tubeless...the reduced tyre pressure + thin side wall of the RR on the back...does not feel right...makes me quite nervous for impeding blowout!!

I'm going back to my truster Mountain king + Race King combo...very soon (going to cost me a ~R1000 or so + added weight ...BUT the piece of mind and ride confort = all worth it!!)

...lol, i must have the worst lines, 3 races , 3 flats with my rocket rons

then no more rocket rons, they just hanging in the garage, the dont like the karoo terain too much

after that i had 7 months racing the maxi icon with no flats but it does feel like a slow tyre to me

Ikon is 580g vs RR 620g

And the big brother 2.4 Mountain King is ~800g!!! Quite heavy but bomb proof and you can have them on quite soft

I prefer the Ikon`s grip to the Ralph. But what is the deal breaker for me is how long the tread last. The Ikon is by far superior there.