The Argument For Short Travel Bikes (article on Pinkbike)

wesley_r

Horses for courses...

Back when I started riding we used to RACE rigid bikes downhill... with f...all brakes.

Yes - I was there, as well as many luminaries (very old...) of the current SA biking scene - see who you recognise in the clip.

Haha, awesome. The good ol' Fat Tyre Festival. Never rode that, but always heard about it!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF .... moonbags on some of the riders ... they deserved to crash!

Are you not happy that the bikes have improved a bizzilion fold since then!

Hey - I still ride the bike I rode at that event.... but I do love modern brakes... other than that not much has changed - newer suspension bikes just save your ass sometimes when you deserve to crash - sometimes they don't...

Crashes are a good way to enforce some bike skill learning... or caution.... which is a skill not in much evidence sometimes.

Haha, awesome. The good ol' Fat Tyre Festival. Never rode that, but always heard about it!

It was fun - the downhill course had a 90 degree right turn from top speed on a fire road into the groove you see in the vid, then carried on downhill a bit further, with a big jump over the railroad track just before the finish.

Nobody thought to check the train schedule....

It was fun - the downhill course had a 90 degree right turn from top speed on a fire road into the groove you see in the vid, then carried on downhill a bit further, with a big jump over the railroad track just before the finish.

LOL ... you owe me a new keyboard!

LOL ... you owe me a new keyboard!

I have one from that era for you.... beige.... possibly a light brown streak or two........ :)

I remember the national champs of somewhere in that era being at the Gerotek testing facility outside of Pretoria. The finish was just after a water crossing. The top guy at the time (he had a ponytail and beard and looked like a pirate, can't remember his name) came flying down at some stupid speed (there was a speed trap, it was ridiculous, like 70km/h or something), hit the water and flew through the air, basically skidding across the finish line on his beard. He still won.

As someone still learning how to tackle the heavy technical stuff more easily - i got an opportunity to borrow a full sus AM bike (150mm) for a burner and managed it hit stuff id never even come close to making on my humble hardtail. Theyre much more forgiving, but to be honest not a very rewarding experience - id rather duke it out on my hardtail and know that it was me and my skill that got me over those rocks than the fact that i could just point the bike and hold on.

What length fork do you have? From your description of point and hold on, I'd say 100mm?

I ride a 6" travel bike and I have the Factory RP23 shock setup with less than recommended sag, compression on the fast side, it makes the bike feel more lively/snappy. Maestro does away with weight-shift induced suspension movement so it pedals more like a 120mm travel bike with the benefits of having more around when you need it.. very little wallowing as some people describe in older designs.

If you were having a quick burn on your mates bike, you would've needed to get passed 'bombing' with the length of travel and started feeling rather what it can do for you if you rode more 'sharper'.

The way I ride is to dodge what I can and only hit the big stuff when it can't be avoided.. or just for fun. Dodging rocks and roots in the trail reduces resistance thereby saving energy on 40km+ rides, and saving even more having the travel front and back to smooth out the bone-jarring knocks when it catches you off-guard.

I have been on 150mm travel for 7 years and I can say that to me and the way I ride, it's closer to being a hardtail than a DH rig, but with the benefits of feeling confident to ride faster in the rough.. or choose to ride the DH just as fast as some downhillers.

It's like I am standing in the middle??!!

Getting back on topic here. The powers that be in WP Downhill (Vince) are thinking about introducing an Enduro class to next year's DH series.

Reduced entry fee but no access to the shuttles. There's more than enough time to get back up the hill between runs.

Thoughts?

Speak to me... step into my office.

I have a dh bike and a hardtail jump bike. The difference between the two couldn't be bigger! I would love something around 150 mm but the budget is zero! The way I see it, unless you are racing 6 inches is enough for almost any trail we have. I would rather have a 6inch bike with perfect geometry than a 8inch dh sled that's too small and with odd angles. Oh wait, that's my dh bike!

@Omega: I think it's a cool idea and certainly is a good start. I'm sure it will inevitably result in more DH racers too as riders get more confident and willing to spend money on bigger rigs. Can only be good. I'd be dead keen on Enduro racing.

Book your ticket to the D'topia fest. Do it.. I'll see you there! Even one day, Ill find out which will be the best.. R200

Omega, the more of this thread I read.. we should talk. Timing points are coming this Dec, Trailtag..!

Edited by Pain or Shine

Rofl. Reign Man indeed! He is the ultimate Giant Jedi! In most cases, when people catch up to him on the singletrack, he gives a surprized "hahah! I'd better pedal faster then!" And vamooses. A la roadrunner.. Meep meep!

huh, you guys are crazy.. ;)

"Gotta go to K Mart, get some socks.. "

I mean, would you have to wear a full face in enduro or is it optional. I believe full face lids are compulsory in some european enduro races. I guess it depends how hardcore the trail is!

WTF .... moonbags on some of the riders ... they deserved to crash!

Are you not happy that the bikes have improved a bizzilion fold since then!

Beattbox is a good example.. He's liked your post Hairy coz he has a new 130mm 2013 Trek that he claims has unlocked hidden potential in him.. What was it before? 100mm?

Fact is, the new designs/technology offer better performance now in longer travel over what was previously thought to be found in lesser travel bikes. This could be why we can do more in less travel than DH rigs of a few years ago, or can do more in longer travel bikes than what was reserved to only short travel.

"E hugs" I am not making DH bikes or hardtails out to be any less than what they are, just stating the case for mid travel all purpose bikes of today being used for, well.. anything.

Edited by Pain or Shine