29er Wheels: Hope Pro2 +ZTR Crest

Titanium Rocket

Much has been written here about Hope Pro2 Evo hubs + ZTR Crest rims.

On Evans Cycles, front and rear sell for R4607 (01/12/12), with Sapim Race spokes.

See: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hope/pro2-evo-no-tubes-ztr-crest-29er-rear-wheel-ec027443

Can anyone comment:

1. Is this a good hub/rim combo? (I'm 68 kg, ride marathon rather than cross country)
  2. Is this a good price?
  3. Is Evans a reputable outfit, or is it better to have them built here?
  4. Any better ideas?

Much appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crest rims are very popular for general use but they are not rated for the heavy duty like jumps.

Evans is a great bike shop, when in London ever do pop in. Generally prices are reasonable, check CRC as well.

i have a set of these and they have served me well. will i get again? dont think so - the reason is that they are quite flexy and next time i would like something more rigid.

If you phone around you can have them built locally for around the same price or slightly cheaper.

i have a set of these and they have served me well. will i get again? dont think so - the reason is that they are quite flexy and next time i would like something more rigid.

At your weight I would see no problems of flex

Also choice of spokes can give that flexy feeling...? but maybe JB or other experience wheel builders can comment.

Like those skinny 1.5mm Swiss Revolution spokes that like to twist.

Would also be useful to know the intended use of the bike.

Edited by kosmonooit

Thanks guys, appreciated. As said, I'm more into marathon than hard core cross country.

Rather support local if there's not much in it. Any ideas on who to approach for a wheel build?

Except for spoke choice (DT Revolution) - that is my setup for my epic wheels = not the lightest wheels by any means, but well supported and relatively bullet proof for marathon use at your weight (I am 65).

Any better idea - FRM333 rims and Chris King hubs... spoke of your choice - Sapim race or DT revolution or competition - these rims can take high spoke tensions - but you will probably need to import them yourself.

Maybe also look at the blunt rims.

Edited by V12man

Having a set locally built will be a few hundred rands more and you will have access to the builder if needed .I have crest rims with X9 hubs and weigh 95kg .No problems so far.I also have hope evo 2 hubs with mavic rims on another bike .The mavics are much more rigid and strong and a super combo with the hope hubs .Crest rims are more flexible and will work well with your weight .If i build again ,it will be hope .mavic,dt swiss como again +-R 7000.0

I'm 73kg and ride that hub/rim combination. The weight is not bad at all and it really is very robust. It's been dealing very well with really technical terrain and long marathon rides. I reliable combination in my opinion.

If you're based in the CT area, I might be able to point you in the right direction for a wheel build.

any more hefty boys riding the ztrs (im on arch and hope 2 hubs). need bullet proof kit for epic! was also leaning towards mavics from the reviews. would anyone opt for a full mavic wheel or rather build as above ?

any more hefty boys riding the ztrs (im on arch and hope 2 hubs). need bullet proof kit for epic! was also leaning towards mavics from the reviews. would anyone opt for a full mavic wheel or rather build as above ?

Go with the Flow ex rims and hope hubs as a good solution.

Also choice of spokes can give that flexy feeling...? but maybe JB or other experience wheel builders can comment.

Like those skinny 1.5mm Swiss Revolution spokes that like to twist.

Would also be useful to know the intended use of the bike.

Revolution (DT) or Laser (SAPIM) spokes are 1.5mm in the shaft whereas the SAPIM Race spokes in question are 1.8mm in the shaft. This makes a significant difference in wheel stiffness.

On a 29er with a heavy rider (70kgs and over), Revo/Laser spokes are a stupid idea. The wheels will just flex too much.

However, wheel flex is a function of both spoke diameter and rim weight and counter-intuitively, not of spoke tension.

A Crest rim is a soft, lighweight poofter rim suitable only for the lightest of riders. On a 26" wheel is performs much better.

As for the Evans question. Yes, it is a good price and Evans is a reputable outfit. However, you have no idea to what standard those wheels will be built and whether they are stress-relieved or not. I may be biased, but I say have them built locally. You will pay more, but remember to add at least 20% to the price you see on the Evans website for VAT, shipping and the Post Office handlilng fee. Like someone said, it is good to have access to the wheelbuilder.

As an aside, the stupitest (stupidest??) wheels I saw in a long time was a set of Shimano 29" factory wheels with 24 spokes. The wheel was so flexible that it routinely rubbed against the frame and fork. 32 spokes should be the minimum on a 29" wheel.