Ok let's hear it vangaalens,laps experiences,gossip??

DIPSLICK

I asked the SAC guys and they told me you were out there somewhere on a SS. How many laps did you do?

20 i stopped at 9 when it started to rain heavily the wife and my 2 girls lost there sense of humour then (not that i blame them)

also it was my young ones birthday so my shares were dropping quicker than the rand

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did you trail stand for in the slow race to win it? We were out on a lap when i took place.

Not very long. When I told the guy I was riding with that I won the track stand comp, his response was "but you can't even track stand!!!"

That said I did beat a world champion SS'r, but she was on super skinny tires, but a world champ non-the-less.

Feather in cap!

Edited by Super_mil

Not very long. When I told the guy I was riding with that I won the track stand comp, his response was "but you can't even track stand!!!"

That said I did beat a world champion SS'r, but she was on super skinny tires, but a world champ non-the-less.

I just knew one of your guys will take that challenge! So what you going to make/mend with your new power tool?

I just knew one of your guys will take that challenge! So what you going to make/mend with your new power tool?

Well it's a cutting tool of sorts, so when your Scott frame finally cracks we can cut that up whistling.gif

20 i stopped at 9 when it started to rain heavily the wife and my 2 girls lost there sense of humour then (not that i blame them)

also it was my young ones birthday so my shares were dropping quicker than the rand

Well done thumbup1.gif

A really awesome event! My first 24 hour event and it was really enjoyable!

The route was awesome! Thanks to Eric and his team. The organisers did a really good job too. The camping sites had ample space, enough showers and toilets (and they were clean), and a big shout out has to go to the marshalls, especially the guys that did the graveyard shift.

Also heard that the guy who fell was ok, except for his smile... And also got flashed by Ms Saggy at about 10 on Saturday night. All dressed in black with a couple of nipple rings. I wanted to stop to thank her but decided against it in fear of being her next scrificial victim.

My only two complaints:

The MC was extremely annoying. I can imagine that it's difficult to keep people entertained for an entire day, but really. I was ready to drown myself in that blue water in the toilets.

And, is it really such a big deal if we keep our cars in the camping area. It really did look if there was enough space.

Despite these two complaints, it was still an awesome event! A big thanks to the organisers! See you next year!

Thanks for your feedback, we will address the issues you have raised! (The land owner asked that cars be kept in the parking when possible)

Well it's a cutting tool of sorts, so when your Scott frame finally cracks we can cut that up whistling.gif

rolleyes.gif

It aint going to happen.

Told you guys, there's nothing wrong with that bike - it is the user!

Almost everyone in our camp area had some sort of issue with their bike and mine didnt even make a noise with all the mud and everything on it.

It threw me off like a wild stallion though - just shows you it even needs some taming. biggrin.png

Edited by hayleyearth

It was my first 24 hour event.

I thought everything was well organised and awesome trail, i just need to brush up on some skills and get more TITS.

Other than that it was a great weekend - we had too much fun at our camp clap.gif clap.gif awesome crowd.

Will be back again next year, hopefully then being able to ride it properly - will get my two coaches in for assistance in the new year blush.png

It was my first 24 hour event.

I thought everything was well organised and awesome trail, i just need to brush up on some skills and get more TITS.

Other than that it was a great weekend - we had too much fun at our camp clap.gif clap.gif awesome crowd.

Will be back again next year, hopefully then being able to ride it properly - will get my two coaches in for assistance in the new year blush.png

So, how did the deflated rear work for the climbs? laugh.png

Whatever the truth is: As an event orgainiser you should have a couple of caterers you can turn to if one lets you down. The bottom line is that we love the 24 hour at VG and bad organisation can see numbers dwindling and put the race in jeopardy.

Like my mates having a 4 person SS category when they entered and then told after the event that it was a mistake and that the catergory doesn't exist.

Easier said than done. A backup caterer would have to have stock on hand with all of the equipment and staff ready to go for the entire weekend! It's as I said, the caterer booked let us down at the very last minute! I would also like to add...last year, the people who catered where VERY organised, had everything on sale and ended up having major losses as hardly anyone bought food because it seemed everyone came with their own food. As far as organization is concerned, we agree, the catering was a major disappointing but we believe all other aspects were in place and enjoyed by most. We will endevour to prevent problems like this from happening again which is why we are already in agreement with Erik of the the Cheese Farm to take over the catering.

We hope to see you again!

Edited by Redness22

24 hour Event

Venue

The venue was perfect with enough camping space for the amount of people that attended. The cars in the camping area would have been more of a problem if the numbers were higher.

Route

Perfect. Well done Mr van Gaalens

Catering

I luckily did not need anything, but understand the guys who came alone with minimal stuff.

A large water container for bottles at the start would be nice for next time.

The drinks were covered but not taken away, I helped myself and there was plenty cases left with a few hours to go. Thanks for that, I eventually enjoyed them.

Announcer

Have heard him at events before - mostly enjoyed but understand if young or sensitive ears around.

Prizes

Yes the young Trinity team came 1st in category so hope they got something - they were really pushing hard and deserve something. Even if our team had won, we are not really there for prizes, but is always a nice token.

Marshals

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks - we could not have done it without you. I almost always acknowledge them on route, just to show that they are appreciated. Thanks to the couple that were at the far out sand road station the beer was ice cold, fire warm and took the time to take a photo of me downing the beer.

Organizers

Very professional and enjoyed the timing screen display on the tent inside. I did not think anyone still used Lotus 123 - but that automated application looked and worked perfect.

The Event

Overall I give it 10/10 and have already started discussing things we can do better from our side for next year.

I feel at an event like the 24-hour, if you stay for 24 hours the more you plan, the better it will be. The basic ingredients are provided by the organizers but in order for you to enjoy it more, planning etc. from our side can make it all that much better.

To that solo lady that did 20 odd laps well done - you are amazing.

To all the solo and SS guys/girls well done

To all those that took part well done, I'm sure everyone had a great enjoyable event, our team did and will be back next year for sure.

Anybody know if the guy that went down on the the first river crossing is ok?

He was pretty badly in shock and bleeding quite a bit when we passed the scene.

Big up to the riders helping him as for the paramedics that did their best to get to him quickly.

I heard from the paramedics that he lost his 2 front teeth and had quite bad gum damage.

**edit** premature response :s

Edited by BrettMTB

My first 24h and it was a fantastic experiance.

All in all, top-notch from me - did not even notice the rain; just saw fun falling (and a bit of pain).

Marshals were really awesome - that really stuck in my mind right through; well that and another flash or two.

Would also like to compliment the team - particularly 'coz the beer did not run out (oh, or the 100plus).

MC could however do a smaller event or two in prep of next year - maybe an adult event.. I aint explaining to anyone what a P..s is....

Will be back for sure.

And well done to Graeme ??? Sprits were high and there to the end dispite a rather unfortunate weekend... Awesome to meet you; strongs in finding/replacing your stolen road bike in good time for your race!!!

First ride @ VG this weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it (after walking away from cradle quest last weekend). Managed to get in 11 laps. Most I've done in a single weekend is probably about 40km over 2 days, so am pleased with this result. Not even hurting that much today, besides my shoulder, where I did the superman attempt while cornering on gravel about 6km into the route. Front wheel lost traction and flew about 3m, still cleated.

Was an awesome trail and organization was great, from a relative noob (been riding for a few months). Only thing that I didn't notice was the charging station. I would have looked the other way if someone pointed it out, "light batteries are flat" was a good excuse to crawl into the tent for the night at about 10:30.

Quick question: is VG open for rides on random weekends? would be great if I could bring the kids through to give them something a little more challenging than the spruit.

We even gave away free toys and games to kids.

Another thanks to the organizers for this. 1 of my kids won a lego kit, and my arm was twisted into building it with em when we got home yesterday evening, when I would have rather been sleeping. They didn't stop talking about it on the way in to school this morning.

Who was the nutter that rode his bike back towards JHB at about 13:30 on the R512?

Respect doing the race and then riding home. Still had his race number on the bike.

Saw 4 okes riding back about 4 or 5km from Van Gaalens. madness.