Cyclist Breaking the Law to be Fined......

ZakAttak

A question to the wise: If three cyclist in single file come up behind a bunch of tools riding 2 abreast and weaving all over the road; are they allowed to overtake these tools when it is safe to do so (while obviously indicating to the traffic behind before doing so)?

Yes.However, are hand signals still legal? Were they not the 'canned' with some law changes a few years ago?

Another question(depending on the actual wording in the law; vehicle vs motor vehicle): Do you have to maintain a 1.5m gap when overtaking another cyclist?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.However, are hand signals still legal? Were they not the 'canned' with some law changes a few years ago?

Another question(depending on the actual wording in the law; vehicle vs motor vehicle): Do you have to maintain a 1.5m gap when overtaking another cyclist?

Don't be so obtuse.

Just stop at stop signs, red lights, that sort of thing. Car drivers will like all of us two wheeled thingies more for it.

The reason for asking this question is that I am one of those cyclists in the picture busy overtaking aforementioned tools and I clearly indicated before we overtook and it was clear to do so. What irks me is that freaking idiot of a photographer/journalist goes and labels us law-breakers without really showing the context. I have good mind and stopping next time I see him along the road just to deliver a swift kick to the gonadscursing.gif

I now have to explain to my kids why I'm a "law-breaker"huh.png

Edited by ThaStig

Don't be so obtuse.

Just stop at stop signs, red lights, that sort of thing. Car drivers will like all of us two wheeled thingies more for it.

comment above does not compute in light of earlier comment below. My questions are still valid, even though a bit "legalistic" because these things will come up in a court case somewhere, sometime...

Easy. Respect is earned. We want respect from other road others? We need to earn it.

How to earn it? Easy again, play by the same rules as prescribed for all vehicles on the road.

The reason for asking this question is that I am one of those cyclists in the picture busy overtaking aforementioned tools and I clearly indicated before we overtook and it was clear to do so. What irks me is that freaking idiot of a photographer/journalist goes and labels us law-breakers without really showing the context. I have good mind and stopping next time I see him along the road just to deliver a swift kick to the gonadscursing.gif

I now have to explain to my kids why I'm a "law-breaker"huh.png

Yip, a snap photo can misrepresent what is actually happening (rip things out of context) - ask TW about that & he'll quote you reams of practices and procedures as attempts for this not to happen. The fact of the matter is that the media do misrepresent facts/photos to suit them (sell newspapers).

You might be able to take exception against them via www.presscouncil.org.za or the court. Another option is to stay anonymous and distance yourself quietly from the photo (deny! deny! deny!) - might be cheaper & easier ;)

comment above does not compute in light of earlier comment below. My questions are still valid, even though a bit "legalistic" because these things will come up in a court case somewhere, sometime...

Ah, didn't read all thread, so we on the same page, or piece of road, ok, all good.

the article in the Argus quotes Lance Burger of the ppa, and he advocates that cyclists can run red lights / stop streets when its safe but should stop when there is traffic around. eish sometimes.......the same drivel was advised the other day by some non motorised advocacy group. can't remember the women's name.

Easy. Respect is earned. We want respect from other road others? We need to earn it.

How to earn it? Easy again, play by the same rules as prescribed for all vehicles on the road.

Play by the same rules? Cool, so can we cycle in the middle of the road instead of hugging the pavement and dodging the broken glass and other rubbish :)

I find it extremely annoying when the blame is shifted to cyclists. I cannot speak for others but I tend to obey road rules on the few occasions I am on the road but I often deal with cars passing exceptionally close to me even on wide roads. For safety sake I'll often ride deep in the yellow line and still cars cross over the line and pass within inches.

The focus should be on educating vehicle drivers, of which I am one, but as a cyclist myself I am aware of other cyclists.

You okes should try living as a two wheeled thingy daily.

You should see how cars treat me on a scooter, any motorised two wheeled thing. It's disgusting.

You okes should try living as a two wheeled thingy daily.

You should see how cars treat me on a scooter, any motorised two wheeled thing. It's disgusting.

The problem with scooters is they generally cant keep up with the flow of traffic, which causes motorists to try and overtake in limited spaces forcing the scooter rider off their line of travel. Now before you say motorists must respect slower moving traffic - I agree - but the truth is the majority dont, and wont change tomorrow, its a process that takes years.

Actually I see much the same on highways with these small relatively under powered cars designed more for turteling around the neighborhood, they struggle to maintain the speed of the highway flow and cause a backup of cars and even trucks behind them, which in turn causes irritation and reckless driving.

Its not right, but thats just the way it is.

That said as far as cycling is concerned I seldom have issues, but I make a point of putting a foot down at lights, stop streets etc, I indicate my intentions to turn or pass over an intersection and I make myself very visible.

Cyclists also need to remember motorists are not mind readers, all too often a cyclist will just make a turn, or roll over a fourway stop and then get into a tizz because the motorist didnt know what he was going to do - Yes, Yes, I know motorists do it too - thats not the point - the point is, from my experience, most of the motorists I encounter, will give you a gap if you indicate your intentions, sit at the red light with them, stop at the stop sign, and put a foot down when they stop, and especially, ride in a predictable manner.

Respect is earned, and that includes respect on the road, but COURTESY is absolutely necessary for every human interaction, especially if we want an agreeable response.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Yip, a snap photo can misrepresent what is actually happening (rip things out of context) - ask TW about that & he'll quote you reams of practices and procedures as attempts for this not to happen. The fact of the matter is that the media do misrepresent facts/photos to suit them (sell newspapers).

Why mention me in this? It disparages what I do for a living. Your experience (opinion) is that "the media" (if this was medicine, you'd think published information in the country's diverse media industry is autologous) misrepresents "facts". To make such a far-ranging accusation, should I assume that you are the custodian of facts? Where do you get your facts from? My post is not going to sell any newspapers, so would it be misrepresenting things to say that the authors of criticisms of the media like you - presented as fact, not opinion - are sad keyboard conspiracy theorists who can't get laid? Fact or opinion?

Guest ctMTBer

When you are fined, are actually arrested and then released to either appear in court or pay the AG. For this you need some form of acceptable ID. If you don't have any, you cannot be released and will be taken to the cells until you can give some ID.

So, yes. If you are planning on breaking the law, it woukd be a good idea to carry your ID.

Fine and arrest to two totally different things. On what ground can they arrest you? The fact that you don't have your I'd on you ?

Why don't they target the taxis ALSO? Because they might get shot like propel have said on this forum. "Don't take on a taxi, you will end up dead"

But now most people want to support this "new" law?? What happens to the Golden Arrow busses? They still drive in the cycling lane on Plattekloof rd and have NOT been arrested?

But the problem is the cyclist image? Come on.

The problem is the lack off respect for any fellow human, dog, parrot etc in South Africa.

This "new" law will be used for a little while then they will move onto the next thing. Last month was Golden Arrow and this month is cyclist, next will be Mini drivers and so on.

Fine and arrest to two totally different things. On what ground can they arrest you? The fact that you don't have your I'd on you ?

Why don't they target the taxis ALSO? Because they might get shot like propel have said on this forum. "Don't take on a taxi, you will end up dead"

But now most people want to support this "new" law?? What happens to the Golden Arrow busses? They still drive in the cycling lane on Plattekloof rd and have NOT been arrested?

But the problem is the cyclist image? Come on.

The problem is the lack off respect for any fellow human, dog, parrot etc in South Africa.

This "new" law will be used for a little while then they will move onto the next thing. Last month was Golden Arrow and this month is cyclist, next will be Mini drivers and so on.

I am not sure pointing to other faults is the way to go, the attitude of "they" do this or "they" do that, so why target me isnt very helpful. Surely its better to say, "I dont break those laws so actually the issue is a non starter to me"

I always point to the "Broken window" campaign in New York, where Mayor Giuliani said "We dont differentiate between crimes, a crime is a crime, and we have zero tolerance to any crime, so even if you break a window we will catch you and prosecute you." - and it worked, 15 years ago Times Square was a pimp infested hell hole, today its as safe as anything and families wonder around in the middle of the night.

Breaking a law is simply a sign of disrespect for those around you, we cant always change others attitudes and actions, but we can ensure our own are in order.

Quite interested to read, especially after us being told in here how we should obey the rules of the road like all other vehicles, that we now have a story telling us that we are not like all other vehicles!

No bicycles allowed at e-toll protest

http://www.news24.co...rotest-20121206

Edited by Clint_ZA

So I had a chop of a motorist get cross at me because I am crossing the road when I have a green pedestrian light on a pedestrian crossing while he want to turn.

About half and hour prior to this I again had a motorist narrowly miss me while she blasted through a red traffic light .... the other cars stopped at the light and I set off with this car blasting through in the outside lane at decent speed...

Then somewhere between the above there I am cycling on the cycle lane, there is a stop sign for cars ... Mr car driver looks at me, slows down a bit and then accelerates again in front of me and into the traffic he goes. I shout hey, he shows a Zap Sign.

Needless to say I am getting a little irate by now with this behavior.

On a side note. The day before I say 2 x ambulances racing somewhere (Afternoon) and yesterday I saw 3 x ambulances and a police car racing somewhere .... people drive like idiots and more often than not others pay for their insolence.