Cycling with a heart problem.

gummibear

I have had a pain in my calf for ages and doctor keeps telling me it's from running and cycling combination and that calf muscle had shortened.Anyway 2 week ago i go to Dr with sore calf again and he sends me for physio.

The next night i am watching tv and i really start feeling weird and sweating.I couldn't breathe and i couldn't stand up,then a pain hits me in my chest and i almost passed out.

If i was in SA i would have thought i was shot.Turned out i had had a small heart attack and that the pain in my calf is a blocked artery.

After days of testing there wasn't much damage caused to my heart....my arms look like road maps from all the drips and blood tests.

My cardiologist says that i can only start training on the road/forest after 6 months and i just want to hear from others that have had similar problems as to how long it took before they could ride.

He says i can do easy 20 minutes on idt in 6 weeks time.

Sheesh, thats scary man.

I dont know anything about it, but if thats what the cardiologist says, then thats it I guess - assume he knows more than us. biggrin.png

All the best and look after yourself man.!

Listen to your doctor. You were lucky this time, next time you might not be. You will get back on the bike again in good time. Last thing you want to happen now is have a full blown heart attack. Just remember cardiac muscle cannot regenerate so if you have a heart attack and the some muscle dies thats it. There are no spare parts, only accessories like pace makers.look after your diet, watch your cholesterol, takeit easy for awhile. Its tough not being able to ride butbwhat you want to do here is recover. Good luck.

That's hectic but really glad it wasn't worse... is this cholesterol related? You're going to need those six weeks before you start exercising and when you do, take it very easy at first... good luck with the recovery!

That's hectic but really glad it wasn't worse... is this cholesterol related? You're going to need those six weeks before you start exercising and when you do, take it very easy at first... good luck with the recovery!

Yes,i had never had it checked....always thought i'll get it done some time.

You'll definitely get better advice on the hub than from your cardiologist. Hubbers know everything.

I will be listening to him but i am just looking for others to chat to about this.

Dr plays golf....but i am trying to convert him to mtb :)

I will be listening to him but i am just looking for others to chat to about this.

Dr plays golf....but i am trying to convert him to mtb :)

Good stuff. On the flip side I asked my Oncologist about doing J2C next year. Of course, sure was hir response. Have since spoken to a few others including a hubber doctor snd it seems its not such a good idea.

, only accessories like pace makers.

Sorry, it's really none of my business, but a pacemaker has nothing to do with a lifestyle induced heart problems.

A pacemaker may be helpful if:

• Aging or heart disease damages the sinus node's ability to set the correct pace for the heartbeat. Such damage can make the heart beat too slow, or it can cause long pauses between heartbeats. The damage also can cause the heart rhythm to alternate between slow and fast.
  • A person needs to take certain heart medicines (such as beta blockers), but these medicines slow down the heartbeat too much.
  • The electrical signals between the heart's upper and lower chambers are partially or completely blocked or slowed down – a condition called heart block. Aging, damage to the heart from a heart attack, or other heart conditions can prevent electrical signals from reaching all the heart's chambers.
  • A person often faints due to a slow heartbeat. For example, this may happen if the main artery in the neck that supplies the brain with blood is sensitive to pressure. If a person has this condition, just quickly turning his or her neck can cause the heart to beat slower than normal. When that happens, not enough blood may flow to the brain, causing the individual to faint.
  • A person has had a medical procedure to treat an arrhythmia called atrial fibrillation. A pacemaker can help regulate the heartbeat after the procedure.
  • A person has heart muscle problems that cause electrical signals to travel through the heart muscle too slow. (A pacemaker will provide cardiac resynchronization therapy for this problem.)

Yes,i had never had it checked....always thought i'll get it done some time.

That's a reminder to many... had mine checked three years ago, time to go again!

Oh no, that sucks. Best is to get a couple of opinions. heart stuff is not to be messed with. You;re lucky that there is no /minimal damage. And its a muscle so it should recover. Get better soon.