Open water swims in Joburg...

dracs

I did the 1KM Heia Safari swim yesterday and really enjoyed it, I think I'll give the 3KM a try next time now that I know there's a speedboat and paddlers out there to help anybody that gets stuck :D.

Is anybody swimming at Emmerentia this week? I might go for a wetsuit swim there tomorrow after work.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the 1KM Heia Safari swim yesterday and really enjoyed it, I think I'll give the 3KM a try next time now that I know there's a speedboat and paddlers out there to help anybody that gets stuck :D.

Is anybody swimming at Emmerentia this week? I might go for a wetsuit swim there tomorrow after work.

Ja I did the 3k on Saturday - it was really good and I only got a few chirps from the SERIOUS swimmers about my wetsuit! (Were quite a few of us actually)

chatted to a guy from JHB over the week end about the emmerentia dam and I didn't realise it's quite a small dam.

I did a nice swim in the breede river on Sunday. Only did about 1.5km I think but it was really nice ot get into the open water and not have the walls ever 25m. The water was a bit cooler which was nice so I could practice breathing etc.

I'd love to live with a nice stretch of open water at my front door to swim every day

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question for those that swim at Emmerentia: Do you have tags to access the change rooms at the canoe club? I wanted to swim there the other day but there was nobody there and I didn't fancy putting on my wetsuit in the parking lot. I really don't want to drive there in my wetsuit either, would look strange if I crashed into somebody and got out of my car in a wetsuit, especially if I had my goggles on too :D

Just a quick question for those that swim at Emmerentia: Do you have tags to access the change rooms at the canoe club? I wanted to swim there the other day but there was nobody there and I didn't fancy putting on my wetsuit in the parking lot. I really don't want to drive there in my wetsuit either, would look strange if I crashed into somebody and got out of my car in a wetsuit, especially if I had my goggles on too :D

Nope. Change on the grass bank. Not ideal but it is what it is

Change on the grass bank. Extra points if you make a granny feeding the geese across the water scream. Negative points if she just laughs. Log your score here.

• 4 weeks later...

jhb's best kept secret for open water swimming , cristal clean and clear with two boys on each end 400m apart .

its part of the scout club and if you go swim there you need to just get access from them . been there plenty and its a beautiful quary . its fenced off so its pvt property but they should let you in , i have never had a problem getting access.

post-8504-0-28546600-1389093932_thumb.jpg

jhb's best kept secret for open water swimming , cristal clean and clear with two boys on each end 400m apart .

its part of the scout club and if you go swim there you need to just get access from them . been there plenty and its a beautiful quary . its fenced off so its pvt property but they should let you in , i have never had a problem getting access.

Behind the Edenvale Hyperama?

Behind the Edenvale Hyperama?

That's awesome!

Can go for a swim and then do your weekly shopping in your speedo.